Fed up with seeing the same old games...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Gregz0r, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Gregz0r

Gregz0r Well-Known Member

#1 Gregz0r, Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
    I don't know about you, but I'm getting extremely bored with the plethora of Mah-Jong, Poker, Solitaire, Sudoku etc, that just keeps on appearing in the App Store, and wants to see some bona fide console games on this device.
    Now, I'm fully aware that full console games(even the ports) take months to design, create & test, but it's still frustrating whilst we wait.

2. abbad0n

abbad0n Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2008
    You could check out Vey or Toy Bot Diaries while you're waiting for them to arrive...

3. ChemicalWeather

ChemicalWeather Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    It is frustrating looking through the lists of apps, but to make it easier visit the plethora of review sites such as TouchArcade and many others, they normally review games that stand out

4. PHDGaming

PHDGaming Member

Aug 4, 2008
    #4 PHDGaming, Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
    Those are the games that currently sell. Anything new / innovative thus far is generally down on the list of top 100 games - people just are not willing to try something new. They want a fimilar word in the title before they buy it, and I really do believe a fully-featured review site that reviews all the iPhone games is needed to fix this (EDIT: Should clarify... Touch Arcade does a great job reviewing applications, but the task of reviewing all iPhone games hasn't been done by anyone yet). Of course, there are exceptions, but a look at the top 100 applications does seem to support this.

(PS: It is still a bit simple, but I'd recommend my game, "Alien Invasion". I've recently dropped the price to only $0.99 (still propagating through the App Store system) to encourage people to try it along with its update that will be available today/tomorrow likely, and at least it isn't another card / puzzle game. :p)

5. palenoue

palenoue Member

Aug 18, 2008
    I agree with you on the same old games, but I can kind of understand it because most places only had six months to get their games onto the iPhone. In software terms that's pretty quick (which also explains why so many crash and have bugs) so most places decided to port games they already had rather than try coming up with something new -and- porting it to the iPhone.

However, I do wish they would stop calling tile matching games Mah-Jong. Mah-Jong is a great game and I really wish someone would make it for computers or the iPhone, but tile matching is _NOT_ Mah-Jong!

Also, does anyone know of any app review site for non-game apps? Toucharcade does a great job with games, but I need a site that does an equally good job with other apps. Any suggestions?

6. 3Dave

3Dave Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Senior Artist/Animator
    Monroe, WA
    Couldn't agree more on this one, but palenoue is right. We're seeing a flux of these games simply because they are the quickest to make. I think if we give devs the right amount of time, we'll start to see games with more depth make their way into the store.

What I'm wondering is how it will affect the pricing. I know of at least a couple of games that will look pretty silly with a $9.99 price tag, should a big-name title come out at that same price.

So those deeper games will either need to be even more expensive (imaging paying $50 for an iPhone game!) or the ones that are in the store now will have to drop prices to compete, should the bigger ones start hitting at $10.

7. exskypixy

exskypixy New Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Yes! Yes!

Didn't look to see when last comment was posted...but, I just have to say it somewhere (lol) How about NO MORE MATCH 3 Games?????

8. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

This thread is from 8 years ago.

9. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    I'd like to know what the $50 iPhone game was!

10. Jakeopp

Jakeopp Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Holy thread resurrection batman!