Copycats and Miniatures

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by CassieTheChaoticCupcake, Jan 13, 2011.

1. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

CassieTheChaoticCupcake Well-Known Member

This is a thread I've been wanting to post for a while and decided to recently because TA has piqued my interest with talk about Gameloft potentially putting out a game similar to Zelda.

I'd love to see more copycat games on the app store. One of my favorites would have to be Omino. It's a great take on the classic Mario games. I'm surprised, actually, that it was approved AND managed to hold its ground. I don't know of any more copycat games, which is why I'm asking you guys. Post all the apps you have and/or know of!

As for miniatures, this one may be self explanatory. Take large console names and shrink them down to the iDevices. For example:
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    Guitar Hero/Rock Band
    Final Fantasy
    Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown wars

You get the idea! :) Post your favorites or post them all. Include games for the iPhone, iPod, and iPad.

2. n8equalsd

n8equalsd Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2010
    CTW is a port, not a miniature. But IMO I really don't like copycats, especially Gameloft.

3. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

CassieTheChaoticCupcake Well-Known Member

I was using that as an expression for things normally played on a television screen brought down to an iDevice-sized screen. Personally, I think copycats in the app store are a great idea for people who want their fix, but are restricted because of copyright issues. I love Omino because I can play "Mario" practically anywhere I go without hauling around my NES.

4. n8equalsd

n8equalsd Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2010
    that's nice, but IMO if developers can make less copycats and more original games it would be better.

5. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    It's a port of a DS(handheld) game, which was, as the TC would put it, a miniature of the console games.

6. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Favorite copycat:
    NOVA 1 & 2

Favorite Miniature:
    LEGO HP

7. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    And computer monitor.