We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken. So there goes your theory.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...the App Store has totally destroyed the concept of value. The loads of crapware, endless 99 cent/50% sales and the race to the pricing bottom in the hopes of being featured by Apple or climbing a chart have done nothing except skew people's perceptions of what mobile software is "worth".

And I'm glad (thrilled even) that Slitherine has picked the price they did, and stuck with it without any sales.

2. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I was going to write exactly why this game is worth the money, you know stuff about it being a proper actual game and what not but you have heard it all before.

You are cheap, so why not stop bothering everyone about the price on this and admit you are a miser and go and play some little 69p half minute distraction.

Also, congratulations on helping out in the race to the bottom that iOS gaming has become. Real Racing 3 is out (soonish)and it's aimed squarely at you, and those like you.

3. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    how about begging your mommy for more allowance?

4. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Exactly, which is why $10 is a reasonable price for BA. Slith's attempt to change the appstore's trajectory is futile.

5. Farmer Harv

Oct 20, 2009
    And apparently so is your attempt to get them to change the price.

6. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    OK. You're right. Don't buy it. Not sure why you're bothering with this thread.

See ya.

--DotComCTO

7. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Yes, because you're their CFO and you know the internal workings of the company as well as their balance sheet. I didn't realize.

Just because you don't want to pay what Slitherine wants for the game doesn't mean it isn't doing well. I certainly don't think Slitherine cares about changing the, "App Store [pricing] trajectory". They are charging what they feel is the right price. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I want to buy a Tesla Model S. Gee. I think it's too expensive. I'll complain to Elon Musk and tell him he's charging to much for it. Yes. I'm sure that will fix things.

:rolleyes:

--DotComCTO

8. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Apple needs to get this fixed by seperating IAPs into Ingame Currency Purchase (ICP) and Ingame Expansion Purchase (IEP) to avoid tarring legitimate developers with the Zynga crowd.

That way the gaming community can educate the clueless nweebs that IEP = Good and ICP = bad.

9. DotComCTO

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    It's more like IAP and DLC. Battle Academy uses DLC, not IAP.

:cool:

--DotComCTO

10. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Or at least specify the difference between consumable and non consumable.

As for people demanding a pricing point for the game, don't. If you want it that much that the price bugs you, buy it or forget about it.

11. Farmer Harv

Oct 20, 2009
    Agh! Moved into the price whiners thread!

I feel so unclean now. I need to go take a shower.

12. Farmer Harv

Oct 20, 2009
    You have no argument. All you keep saying is you want it for 50% off even though Slitherine has stated there will be no sale. That's not arguing, that's simply annoying.

13. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Excuse me Mr. Moneybags, It's got nothing to do with being cheap. It's about the option of having an enjoyable game experience for the asking price with no pay walls or hidden fees.
    $2 doesn't sound like a lot, now add that price to every app you own. Where do you draw the line? 99 cent games with $50 dollar pay walls?
    Sure these devs deserve an extra couple bucks for this great game. Just because they do IAP right, it more often then not RUINS good games
    Don't turn this great thread into a downspin with name calling

14. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Then put in the extra 2-3 days building up the resources to reach the farming point if you are that cheap, because it is about being cheap. This game could easily ask $10 as it is for a Steam PC version.

Are you really this dense?

$5 is the "full", quick start version, $2 is the "you are cheap" and would rather grind a little to get started game. Nothing hidden, it's all right there.

In a world where the industry is already pointing out the *standard* cost for next generation console games is going to be $70, with bigger games just launching upward from there, I am amazed at the sheer, unadulterated cheapness and outright short sightedness that fills these forums.

Pay $2 and spend a little longer reaching self sufficiency, or pay another $2 and jump right into mineral "farming", your call. Just don't insult my intelligence by telling me there's anything principled about your objections, because in a perfect world you wouldn't even have the choice, you'd just have to pony up the $5-$10 for a game like this up front and you know it.

15. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Wonderful response. I bought th iap just to expedite the process. I was having a great time without it but wanted to try some of the cooler mods later on. It's still freaking tough and a wonderfully fun game.

16. mr ed209

mr ed209 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    You, sir, make a good point, if a little judgementally for my liking. I hadn't considered that, and you're absolutely right that now I've decided I'm going to stick with the game, that's a fair price. :)

17. mr ed209

mr ed209 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Just read the mini-argument that's erupted beneath my original post. Would just like to say that as I hadn't noticed that different map types produce different ores, and was assuming the white ores were just very, very rare, that's why I was suspicious of the IAPs.

I didn't like the 'cheap' insinuation, but I think it's quite fair to offer the game with no resources for two bucks and a decent boost for five bucks total.

18. drloony

Jul 19, 2012
    And where did you pull this out? The back of your ass? Last I checked the game price says $1.99. It's people like you who just shell out $20 to have a "powerful character", that why developers keep pumping out crap into the App Store. You keep on buying your IAP buddy, you obviously suck at video games

19. drloony

Jul 19, 2012
    @ Sambugson: sweet
    Also sorry to TA members for hijacking this informative and friendly thread, I won't come back for a few days

20. Presty6

Presty6 Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2013