Shadowgun Deadzone - Online Multiplayer Unity Shooter

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by lumothesinner, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    #1 lumothesinner, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

"The first details about SHADOWGUN: DEADZONE, the new multiplayer game following the SHADOWGUN series, which just made its world debut at CES 2012 with NVIDIA. SHADOWGUN: DEADZONE will allow gamers to experience intense tactical multiplayer combat with up to eight players online. Along with the original SHADOWGUN, the new SHADOWGUN: DEADZONE uses stunning graphics and realistic 3D environment and characters, making the action incredibly lifelike."

Separate app, not an update.

Its going to be free with IAP "in a good way" and have voice chat and cross platform with android.

IAPs are going to be locked by level, so you cannot buy upgrades until you have earnt them. Madfinger wants the game to not be one where players can buy their way to being good.

EXP system for leveling and weapon unlocks, saved online on shadowgun servers (no need for icloud)

Launching first on Tegra devices (for testing servers etc...) in March, so hopefully iOS should get it a few weeks after.

8 Player online, 8 characters, 12 weapons, grenades (throwable), 3-4 maps, 3 modes: deathmatch, team deathmatch and objective mode (similar to MW3 domination and BF3 conquest)

wifi only (expected), no offline bots

2. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    I thought the developer said the multiplayer would be coming in an update to the single player game. Hmmm, maybe I'm thinking of another game.

Might be fun, but I definitely won't be spending more money for a seperate multiplayer-only portion of the game.

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yeah, update

4. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Based on the youtube description and facebook page...looks like a separate app to me. Ive asked for clarification.

They did say it was going to be an update didnt they? or was that what everyone assumed?

5. sivyan

sivyan Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Germany
    I'm pretty sure you are thinking of DZLS :)

6. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    #6 lumothesinner, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    Found this from way back when it was first announced, wonder if its still true

"The team is planning to roll out the multiplayer update in several steps, starting with the introduction of traditional game modes like Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch, before then going on to more elaborate game types at a later date.

It's also planning for the multiplayer to be cross-platform between both Android and iOS, so those with friends from all walks of mobile life (except Windows Phone and bada, of course) can get stuck into the third-person action."

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multiformat/Shadowgun/news.asp?c=33866&srch=shadowgun

cross platform would be cool, not sure anyone else has done that apart from dungeon defenders

and on facebook my question was "so its not an update, its a separate app?
    Plenty of people will be annoyed with that. lets hope its worth it"

I'm taking their reply of "It will be worthy" as confirmation of separate app.

7. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Jeez the only reason i bought the first one was because they promised multiplayer in an update and said the price would increase as a result. Well forget this, i'm not giving that developer any more of my money.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    What if it's free to play (which seems likely)?

9. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The same. I was waiting for the multiplayer update, but I think it's time to delete the game.

10. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    #10 Dirty Harry Hannahan, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    So Madfinger lied to everybody in the beginning stating that multiplayer would be a part of "Shadowgun"? They originally said it would be released by the end of 2011. Hopefully someone will clarify this.

Madfinger? ....will this be a separate app or an update to the existing game we all own?

Can you give us a direct answer? Thanks.

11. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    I am really happy to see this, and I hope it becomes a trend for one reason: file size. I really do not want to keep huge filesizes just for multi (MC3). I personally would gladly pay a few more bucks for a solid multi experience.

12. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Based on this http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/madfinger-reveals-shadowgun-multiplayer-spin-off I would say its going to be separate, and its going to be a while if its tegra exclusive first

13. gfxdaddy

gfxdaddy Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Male
    Illustrator | Web | Graphic | Digital Publishing D
    London, UK
    After I paid the full $8 (before they dropped the price) I'd be PISSED if this wasn't an update.

14. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    This. And the fact Madfinger gave the impression that multiplayer would he an update to the existing game not a separate one.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
  16. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Exactly. I bought this mother f*cker right on day one. I am always happy to shell out the extra bucks for a good looking, and solid feeling game. This game's single player has delivered more than that, it really is fun for me.

That being said, they did say in the thread that MP would be an update. So if they are releasing this as a separate app, I am not going to buy into it. I would possibly think about it, if they never mentioned a thing about it in the Main game thread, but they did. Simple as that. I now have a neat goal of finding that exact post as well, cause this is Bullshit.

Many of us though, don't give a sh*t. It's one thing if they released one app for X amount, and a MP app for X amount, then sold the entire package for X-$.99. THAT I would totally be for. My issue with this current situation is that they told us MP would be an update.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    From the main Shadowgun thread:

I'm still waiting to hear about the Tegra exclusive issue. It wouldn't be ther first time that StP had gotten a story completely wrong.

18. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    So on the one hand, this has pissed off everyone who bought the game at full price, who were pissed off anyway as the price is almost half the launch price, me included.

But on the other hand a free online shooter may get a load more people to download and to play against online, (back to the first hand - until IAP screws up the balancing)

I'm sure I'll end up getting it but they aint getting no IAP from me, paid enough the first time round.

19. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, IAP in MP are starting to become a trend...a very bad trend. I'm pretty sure a lot of us here have dealt with IAP hackers and guys that buy a ton of IAP. Then the game becomes who can pay for king of the hill and/or the online gameplay just becomes annoying as hell.

The only game I have any faith in when it comes to a rich online experience is World of Midgard. Word off! is another, but it probably wouldn't affect paople as much as SG or MC3 if it was unbalanced.

20. elisha11230

elisha11230 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    [​IMG]

they have also said elsewhere that it would be a free update. :( they are just trying to milk as much money out of this as possible, and having this game be freemium would be even worse.