Super Meat Boy for iOS

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DigitalB33R, Apr 1, 2012.

1. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
  2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Alrighty then.

3. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Sigh.......if only.

4. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    It's definitely strange how they announce it on the day of April Fools. Lol.

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I wish it happened, but I just realized what day it is... :rolleyes:

6. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    The super meat boy devs posted that on March 31st. We might have hope :D

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Was just about to say that, lol.

Either way, I am not a fan of either expansion of the acronym SMB. I hate how this game has become popular while being pretty crap.

8. LiamAtDevour

LiamAtDevour Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Co-founder/Programmer at Devour Games
    Brisbane, Australia.
    I was sure I heard an announcement from the SMB devs saying that all production including updating, etc, had been cut.. They had a tough time pumping out the original game so I'd be surprised if they'd choose to keep going with it.

I disagree with Echo though, the original SMB was awesome imo. It's mechanics are very basic but I still played it far more than any other platformer that i've played in recent years.

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I prefer Jumper - same game type (came out earlier) and has comparatively tighter controls. I despise SMB's sloppiness. Yes it works for some people, yes it's a conscious design choice, but I prefer knowing that if I hit a corner of a block, I will have 1/10th of a second to jump off (jumper), instead of wondering if I may or may not slip off before I hammer the jump key again (SMB).

//endrant
    //leavethread

10. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Super Meat Boy is one of the greatest platformers of all time for me... this is indeed good news for iOS (read Fireball post, there's hope). If it has the same controls as League of Evil it will be perfect

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Updating the game on PC = little or no revenue
    Bringing the IP to iOS = tons of revenue

Frankly, this move doesn't surprise me at all.

12. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    But then again, the date makes people wonder if it's not an April Fool's joke and that's how they get us...

Still hoping though, would be beyond awesome to get SMB on iOS :D

13. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Given their previous statements on the subject, it has to be an April Fool's Day joke, but it would be sweet if they did. :p

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It strikes me as way too literal and humorless to be an April Fool's joke. Especially from a developer who has called the iPhone the Tiger Handheld of its generation.

15. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Since when have past stances gotten in the way when making boatloads of money was involved? :rolleyes:

I'll bet the real joke will be on Thursday, when they go "Oh guess what? We've been working on it for a year and it's available NOW. April Fools!!"

(Yes, my mind works in strange ways and yes, I actually checked the App Store....)

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Yeah, I think the developer would rather be laughing all the way to the bank ;).

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Hmm... After reading TA's cover on this I actually think it's real now :)

18. MightyRabbitJosh

MightyRabbitJosh Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Programmer and Designer at Mighty Rabbit Studios
    Holly Springs, NC
    This is definitely a real announcement. Tommy (the programmer from Team Meat) talked about SMB for iOS a lot after the screening of Indie Game: The Movie that I attended. That was nearly two weeks ago, I don't think they'd start hyping an April Fool's joke in mid-March.

19. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    From Interview: Edmund McMillen Spills The Beans on The Wrath Of The Lamb & More
    January 27, 2012 4:00 PM | Lewie Procter
    http://indiegames.com/2012/01/Interview:%20Edmund%20McMillen%20Spills%20The%20Beans%20on%20The%20Wrath%20Of%20The%20Lamb%20&%20More.html

Any clues about Team Meat's next game?

I can say that Tommy has been working his ass off, and has finished the exporter. Our games from now on will all be vector based, which means really high resolution, HD, crisp, clean graphics, that will run even better. Tommy basically wants the new engine that we're using to be as perfect as possible. One of the reasons I'm doing the Isaac expansion now is because Tommy's busy with the engine, and we can't work on a new game in full development until he's finished on the engine. He's doing his stuff, working his magic, and he's kicking ass right now. I imagine probably in a month we'll start working full time on development of the next game. The next game will probably be iPhone. Probably. Unless it sucks, then we'll can it and focus on the big game. Things are moving, things are starting to rev up again. That's why I need to get this expansion done, keep my plate clean for the next game.

-----

From Tommy Refenes Twitter:

@notch @EdmundMcMillen We never announce fake stuff on April Fools.

@Retrovidya We aren't considering anything other than touch pads and touch phones at this time.

From Danny Baronowsky Twitter:

new @SuperMeatBoy game announced! expect a whole new soundtrack! :) supermeatboy.com

Note: The Last April Fool's Joke Super Meat Boy LCD for IPhone was a real app albeit one made as a joke/criticism of apple. The recent screenshot for the new game is probably concept art.

20. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Guys its legit, I saw this on their twitter.

In their twitter description they said they were working on game two (this) and it won't be coming to the PS3.

Also they tweeted that this wont be exclusive to iOS.