want me to drop another idea bomb?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cubytes, Feb 25, 2010.

1. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    So ff 1 & 2 is out..........

now I kinda wanna drop another idea bomb on ya guys, about how I would make a turn based rpg,

-rehash my old ideas,
    -add some new ideas
    -and I even got bits and pieces of story, plot and whatnot.....

if you want me to drop an ideal bomb just let me know :)

2. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Go for it. Though keep in mind that FF is 20 years old, so a lot of improvement has been made.

3. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    tru that. I totally admire square especially for ff 7 which is the first RPG I ever played and I loved that game :)

not really looking to drop an idea bomb on how I would make ff 1 & 2 better, mostly just want to drop some more ideas on how I would make a turn based rpg for the idevices or at least rehash some of my old ideas while projecting some new ideas

I'll be home lata this afternoon I will try to hit this thread up with an idea bomb soon

D

4. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    sorry for the delay this brainstorming session is taking longer then I had anticipated, and I still have nothing conclusive to submit

here's some initial thoughts:
    -experiment with line drawing inputs and/or mechanics
    -casual interactive rpg experiences like Mario & Luigi bowser inside story
    -swap party memebers and roles on the fly
    -stack commands like ff 13

I'll keep brainstorming hopefully I will have something conclusive to post soon

5. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    dropping idea bomb....NOW!!

heres what im thinking.........
    -a sort of hybrid RPG; half real time & half turn based
    -meaning you have X amount of secs for each turn
    -during a turn your party will execute commands in almost real time
    -some commands deduct time when executed
    -time can be gained during a turn by initiating something? (idk what yet)

controls/input ideas:
    -tap on character to select them
    -when character is selected/highlighted; tap on enemy to do a quick attack
    -tap on enemy again to do consecutive attacks with same character
    -tap on character or with a character already selected; tap and hold on enemy to charge a strong attack; lift thumb off screen to release strong attack
    -draw a line from character to enemy to do an attack; useful because you can command your characters to do quick attacks without having to select them therefor un-selecting the character your currently using
    -tap on character then double tap on enemy to do another kind of attack
    -double tap on character to change form (more details below)
    -tap and hold on character to charge special attack (more details below)

highlight/select multiple characters:
    -pinch out over your party to highlight multiple characters
    -when multiple characters are highlighted they act as one single entity
    -this means you can highlight multiple characters then tap on an enemy and all of your characters will attack that enemy simultaneously
    -you can do strong attacks with multiple characters highlighted
    -you can highlight multiple characters and command them to all change form at the same time
    -you can do special attacks with multiple characters highlighted

companion:
    -the companion will single handedly take care of the supportive/mage role that way all of your characters can focus on attacking
    -the companion will also be the one in charge of distributing items to your characters in battle
    -if its a sci fi genre the companion could be a space ship orbiting the planet
    -if its a fantasy genre the companion could be some sort of being
    -in the top right corner there will be a companion button
    -tapping this button will bring up an on screen menu & pause action at the same time
    -this menu will be finger friendly
    -this is how you will distribute items to your characters from your inventory
    -this is how you will use magics in general
    -as you level up you can customize your companion
    -if its a sci fi general there will be no magic but rather tactical support from the space ship orbiting the planet

forms:
    -each character should have at least 2 forms if not more that you can change into during battle
    -changing forms doesn't cost any time upfront only that it takes X amount of secs to finish
    -each form has its own unique special moves, and attacks

special attacks:
    -are powerful skills that can be initiated in battle
    -as your characters level up they learn new skills
    -there will be a brief animation then an option to choose a skill (if character has more then one skill) then the animation of the skill will playout
    -these skills will essentially end the turn but do massive damage to all enemies

6. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    back to brainstorming will post more ideas concepts and details soon

7. rogerchiu

rogerchiu Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Assistant Manager
    Hong Kong
    Please, remember the autosave function.

8. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    hahaha absolutely

9. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    GUI/on screen info.......
    -heath bars above characters head
    -plus the characters appearance will change according to how much hp they have
    -same for enemies
    -no need to take up a ton of room to list out all the hp/mp/stats for all characters within the battle
    -there is a stats page in the companion menu that will display this information

offensive & defensive:
    -on offensive your characters will execute commands in real time
    -on defense when its the enemies turn your characters will just sit there getting attacked
    -you can still issue commands from your companion tho
    -im also trying to think of different ways to create more interaction when on defense; like being able to tap/double tap with precise timing to increase the chance of block and stuff like that

10. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Look like good ideas for an iphone-optimised rpg. Have you ever played the paper mario games? The idea of action commands where you can press a button to jump or dodge the attack or hit harder when attacking was a very cool idea imo. I'm guessing you want an avrworld like in FF or pokemon. And then when you go into a battle, you drag from your character to an enemy to attack, but when you are defending, you tap on your character and with good timing can block or reduce damage from the attack.
    This way part of the battle skill would be to memorize common foes attack style. Also, the boss characters would have several different attack methods which might even hit several members of your party.
    So basically...

Combat:
    Real time, every character has a bar which refills in real-time. When it is full, they can attack or use a special ability.
    Drag from one of your characters to an enemy character to attack
    Tap on one of your characters to block an enemy attack
    Tap and hold on one of your characters to bring up an abilities/items menu

I also have some ideas about other parts of the rpg but those can wait, if anyone cares.

11. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Sorry in advance for the double post. Ok, so I was thinking instead of having the companion you would be the central character of the plot. You would be a wizard or something like that, and you are capable of helping from the sidelines, by using super powerful spells, handing out potions and the like. As far as the plot goes this would allow the story to be based around one character (you) while having an ensemble cast around you that came and went as the game goes on, like in the FF games. you could have a drop-down menu with all of your abilities and items that you could use, once you have one selected, simply tap on the enemy to use it on him.

Just to clarify, I think it would be cool if it was true real-time, so both sides are attacking and defending at the same time, the length of your recharge bar would be determined by agility, so characters like a rogue would be able to attack faster and more frequently than a heavily-armored knight.

12. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    it's all good, feel free to add as many ideas/thoughts/concepts as you want I don't mind :)

13. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    #13 cubytes, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
    heres some storyline/lore ideas

a sci fi genre story..................
    -earth has become overpopulated
    -resources exploited and overtaxed
    -humanities survival hanging in the balance
    -this leads to a global collaboration to streamline space exploration technology
    -FTL space travel technology developed
    -humanity finds many MANY planets and even begins to terraform moons and other celestial objects making them suitable for humanity to live and thrive
    -they begin to colonize many MANY planets and terraformed moons and what not
    -these colonies follow 2 paths
    -one is corrupt governments/economies
    -the other path sees an emergence of an Utopian society
    -eventually these two ideologies clash and war breaks out
    -the corrupt side begins to do unethical human experiments to develop the perfect obedient soldier
    -this leads to the development of a neural ring
    -this ring is a super powerful computer with very advanced AI loaded into it
    -its purpose is to integrate with the brain
    -in the interest of making the perfect soldier the consciousness of the person was deleted or fried thus allowing the AI full control over all of the bodies functions
    -thus the perfect soldier is born no fear, no pain and follows orders without hesitation
    -these super soldiers along side armies of robots and human soldiers brings a swift end to the war with the corrupt government being victorious
    -using this victory as an opportunity the "bad guy" of the story stages a coup and gains supreme control over the galaxy and enslaves millions of ppl in the process
    -this leads to the emergence of the resistance; some just fighting for freedom and others fallouts from the civil war still fighting to restore the Utopian society
    -the scientist who developed the neural ring intended it to be a way for human consciousness to interface with computer networks and thus create a symbiotic relationship between an AI and the human consciousness where the brain could access computer networks, download/upload data, memories, training and what not
    -out of spite this scientist takes a subject that was suppose to be turned into a super soldier and hacks it to create a tru symbiotic relationship with the most advanced AI the scientist has ever created
    -this is the main character
    -the rebels hearing about this decide to try and capture this character and stage a huge raid on the planet with many of their alliances and forces present
    -thus the story begins......

im not really good with story/lore to be honest......................

14. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    reconsideration.......

special attacks:
    -tap and hold over character with left thumb to charge special attack
    -use right thumb to aim the attack
    -lift thumb off screen to unleash the attack
    -they should be more similar to FF7 limit breaks very fast, flashy and powerful melee attacks
    -it wouldn't be a good idea to design them similar to FF12 quickenings as that would be way too unbalanced and also put a huge break on the overall flow of the action