what are the best strategy games for the ipad

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kearnel, Nov 7, 2011.

1. kearnel

kearnel Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    i can never get enough strategy games, and just wondering, what u think are great. so i can take a look at them if i dont have them

i have distant star, starbase orion, settlers, c+c red alert, blue libra, greed corps, hunters episode 1 and a few others but i cant remember from the top of my head

2. Ringthane

Ringthane Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Ascendancy is 4x like Starbase Orion but I find S.O. to be a much, much smoother and polished game.

Carcassonne is a *HIGHLY* regarded (and 9.99) strategy game, but I never connected with it. Fell absolutely flat for me. Which is strange, given it's boardgame roots and my history as a tabletop gamer. I just don't dig it.

You mentioned Hunters -- I almost pulled the trigger on that since I love Xcom, but a lot of the watered down elements don't appeal to me.

3. kearnel

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    sorry mods, posted in the wrong forum, thought i was in general

hunters is a pretty good game, but its too easy and too quick, and there arent enough elements in the game to keep playing it, the levels are all either kill everything, defend something, destroy something, capture something or rescue someone.

i have ascendency, loved the game ever since i first played it on pc years ago.

i think theres alot more that can be accomplished in terms of strategy games on ios, i would love to see a total war game. i know sega demo'ed 1 on an android tab, so hopefully in the near future. and would love to see something like homeworld or an actual civ game, maybe civ 3 or 4

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Other 4x games are Civilization Revolution, Vincere Totus Astrum and 9 Colonies...

You may also want Keg Bearer.

If you can put up with old graphics and non-touch controls, you should definitely get the Elite ZX Spectrum Collection and the Jullian Gollop IAP (early games by the guy responsible for X-COM, there are a couple of solid titles there including CHAOS which would make for a great multiplayer pass-n-play game!)

I'll 2nd Carcassonne - not as serious of a strategy game, but still one of the most polished iOS games, and a great board game to boot.

Neuroshima Hex would be another great board game that's a bit more serious, as would RK's Samurai. Battle of Wesnoth is a must-have, and War on Eustrath is good too.

5. kearnel

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    got wesnoth, eustrath, vta, but gonna check the others... someone should release xcom terror from the deep on the ios :)

6. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    I guess I'll have to mention my own then....

Great Little War Game might be of interest. Formerly held #1 in strategy charts for a while.

7. Ringthane

Ringthane Member

Aug 5, 2011
    If Xcom and SMAC were released for iOS I'd probably die of a heart attack or have to change my shorts.

I'm not into multiplayer titles at all, but one online game that hooked me in the mid/late 90s was Myth II. The guilds, the leaderboards, the teamplay... just a freakishly good strategy game.

8. Ringthane

Ringthane Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I've almost picked this up a few times but haven't quite pulled the trigger yet. Can anyone comment on AI and campaign length? I've found too many strategy games have a combination of

- lackluster AI
    - limited unit choice, or limited upgrade/tech paths
    - short campaign

The cartoony graphics don't appeal to me, but I don't find them offensive either and they'd grow on me if GLWG can deliver the gameplay. :)

9. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Not for me to say really, but TA did a major review of it a while back - the link's in my sig.

10. blikstad

blikstad Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Freelance artist and game developer.
    Uppsala, Sweden
    As long as we're mentioning our own... :D
    give our game Tactical Soldier - Undead Rising a go!

Not really "large scale strategy" as such, more a small unit tactical approach. Gameplay obviously heavily inspired by x-com (which I personally still play at least once a year by the way! :D) and the like.

11. GSnyder

GSnyder Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Both of these were already mentioned, but they were the two that came to my mind as well: Carcassone and Neuroshima Hex.

The latter game is also available in the form of Neuroshima Hex Puzzle, which I think I prefer. It's just what it sounds like; NHP is to NH as chess puzzles are to chess and bridge columns are to bridge.

12. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Can't go wrong with Battle for Wesnoth HD. It has a ton of content and well worth whatever price it's at currently. A lot of others mentioned (Neuroshima Hex, Carcassonne especially) you really can't go wrong with either. Some others you may want to look into:

- Ascension.
    - Sword of Fargoal.
    - 100 Rogues.
    - Palm Heroes 2.
    - Samurai Bloodshow.

These games offer a good bit of strategy and are good choices for iPad.

13. kearnel

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    Got urs rubicon, rated it 5 stars, brilliant game

14. kearnel

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    Got this too :) gonna take a look at the others mentioned

15. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Nice one, thanks. Enjoy! :)

16. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Great Little War Game is awesome, especially on ipad.

17. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    GLWG is awesome!

Love it...I have it on my iPad (personally think my iPhone 4 screen is a lil to small).

Addicting!

18. Ringthane

Ringthane Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Well, I did it, after reading the reviews... I will say this -- the game frustrates me to no end and often p*sses me off, which means I'm having a lot of fun. :)

The thing with GLWG -- the simple mechanics and fun graphics really belie how challenging this game can be.

19. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    In addition to Great Little Wargame and Tactical Soldier, I think Neuroshima Hex (http://appshopper.com/games/neuroshima-hex) and Neroshima Hex Puzzle (http://appshopper.com/games/neuroshima-hex-puzzle) are really good. I suggest both because NS Hex Puzzle is really a great tutorial for playing the main game...and async multiplayer is coming to NS Hex (according to their blog). There's a lite version of NS Hex as well. Those two apps do go on sale, so you may want to keep an eye out for that.

And to give my friends at Manomio & Cinemaware a shout, if you enjoy retro strategy, you should absolutely get Defender of the Crown (http://appshopper.com/games/defender-of-the-crown).

What types of strategy games do you like?

:cool:

--DotComCTO

20. Fe1

Fe1 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Thanks to all who suggested the following games: 100 Rogues. Palm Heroes 2 (Deluxe). The War of Eustrath HD. Ascendancy. Keg Bearer. Samurai Bloodshow.

Just picked all of them up, despite not liking that some have the dread IAP.

(GLWG I had, and highly recommend)