iPad The World Ends with You: Solo Remix (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by chaos_envoys, Aug 26, 2012.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    This is an amazing game. Good choice of picking it up. It remains my #1 game on my ipod after buying most of the FFs and hundreds of other games. The pins are what set it apart from nearly everything else and are perfect for a small touch screen :)

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #1002 syntheticvoid, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    Yup, exactly...

Not able to watch YouTube?

... Can't read the OP?

... Quick to post without looking at screens?

..just wanted to troll?

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ignorance is bliss, right? Not to mention dumb, showing it on a public forum.

4. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    In the middle of the game now, definitely plays fine on the iPhone 5. As mentioned, the only gesture that doesn't work too well sometimes is the "scratch", and I also think maybe it's because those specific pins just take a while to activate, and you can take a beating by then. I general avoid using the scratch pins as well, and everything else works great.

Waiting until I'm done with the game, but this will likely end up high on my top five list below...

5. Tcchu97

Tcchu97 Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Sorry to gravedig, but is the ipod version pulled from the US app store? o.o

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
  7. Tcchu97

Tcchu97 Member

Sep 23, 2012
  8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It's showing up for me; and on App Shopper. Also still in New Zealand store. Not sure what is going on.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Showing on the PH appstore too. I wonder if there's any chance SE will put HD up on sale like they just did Lara Croft GOL. I only have SD version of this and it would be great if i could get it maybe around $10? :D Wishful thinking.

10. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    I think that sale is more about because the new tomb raider came out today

On topic now this needs iphone 5 support

11. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    So, I picked this up on Christmas and am just now playing it. So far, I am liking it a lot, but not loving it.

Anyway, I have noticed that a couple of my pins that "could evolve", didn't. I.e. They reached their maximum level and have the little star beside them, but the description still says "could evolve".
    Does this mean that it is a random chance thing and that I should start levelling another pin of the same type, hoping that I'd luck out and it might evolve when it maxes out? Or could something still happen to make the maxed ones evolve, after all? TIA.

12. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    You get different types of experience, some from leaving the app closed, some from battling with the pin and some from the social aspect of connecting with other people. You have to use the right type of experience to evolve it. And no there is no way to see which you need in the game. Bugged the s**t out of me if I'm honest.

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #1013 Ayjona, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    Pins require the proper type of Pin Points to evolve. There are three kinds, and they are each earned in a different fashion:
    • Battle PP (BPP) is earned through battles (sometimes, the world is just as simple and predictable as it seems. Enjoy it, for it doesn't happen often, especially not in TWEWY ;) ), and the amount varies on how well you do.
    • Mingle PP (MPP) is earned from mingling with other players in Mingle Mode (which requires bluetooth and physical proximity), or from playing the Tin Pin Slammer (a mini-game which is unlocked not far into the game).
    • Shutdown PP (SDPP) is earned from downtimes, i.e., when you are not playing the game, and it is NOT in a frozen bakground state (bring up the multitasker and manually remove it from the list).
    For a pin to evolve, it has to be primarily levelled through the proper PP, which is referrred to as the dominant PP.

HOWEVER, the above kinds of PP have different multipliers which determine their weight in evolving a pin. The actual amount of PP does not change (the pin requires equally much of each type of PP to level), but is counted differently for the purpose of determining dominant PP and pin evolution.

Shutdown PP is worth 9 times Battle PP for the purposes of determining dominant PP, and Mingle PP is worth 20 times.

This means that in order to evolve a pin which requires Batttle PP as the primary source of PP, you actually have to earn 9 times as much BPP for that pin as the amount of SDPP, and 20 times as much BPP as MPP.

A pin that has been maxed, or even gone past the evolution point (which is often the max level, but not always), with the wrong kind of dominant PP, cannot be evolved.

(Say that, for instance, Cute Silly Huggy Beam of Stuffed Toy Ruin requires primarily BPP to evolve, and you accidentally feed it 2 MPP (counted as 40 for the purpose of pin evolution), then you have to earn at least 41 Battle PP for the pin to evolve. If that pin only requires 35 PP before it reaches the evolve point, then you've screwed the stuffed pooch, and have to re-aquire that pin in order to level it.)

The dominant PP is shown in the experience bar in your pin menu, which displays the PP earned in the lifetime of a pin in the form of a color, and visually adjusts the amount to account for the "weight" of the differents PP kinds. Blue is for BPP, red is for MPP, and green is for SDPP. The bar has to have more of the color of the kind of PP you are shooting for in order to evolve correctly. Since SDPP and MPP are counted differently for the purpose of pin evolution, you'll notice that even small amounts of these fill upp the bar quickly. But as long as the intended color (and therefore PP) fills more than 50% of the bar, you can go ahead and just feed the pin with any kind of PP.

Some pins has several evolution paths, depending on what kind of PP is dominant. Since they can only be evolved once, you naturally have to acquire several copies to explore all evolutions.

This can also lead to quite intricate evolution trees, where a pin might require only BPP, only to evolve into a pin which can be evolved further with MPP or SDPP, only to branch out further with two pins that together offer FOUR new paths (each might evolve through two kinds of PP), etc. Pin evolution thus becomes much like character evolution in modern RPGs (only much harder to acquire, and much cooler), where you plan the progression in accordance with what high-tier pins you would like to acquire.

(Also, remember that a pin is not its Psych, and the Psych is not the pin. The pin is what is equipped, evolves and acquires PP, and the Psych is the actual power in the pin. Several pins might have the same Psych, but different attack values, damage levels, and other stats that affect the effectiveness of that Psych.)

And here comes the kicker: now that you know more than you've ever wanted about pin evolution, there is actually no in-game way to tell what kind of PP is required for evolution. For that, you either experiment and explore, or visit your friendly neighbourhood wiki.

(Do notice that the above site will really spoil all there ever is to spoil about the game. For the careful, or those that don't mind, it offers an explanation similar to the one I have wall-of-texted you with here, Pin Evolution charts and tables, Pin Lists, long treatises on pin, and more. Of course. There is always more.)

So, go forth and multiply... your PP gains.

14. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    The secret, without being spoiled of anything, is that you don't really need to worry about the specifics of pin evolution until you've "finished", and then you have all the time in the world to collect all the pins you want.

15. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Have they updated so it's possible to get all pins and items yet?

16. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #1016 Isilel, Mar 6, 2013
    Yea, no, can't imagine collecting and levelling them for the sake of completion. I don't particularly enjoy this aspect of the game, to be honest. It is just that in my experience, pins that evolve a lot tend to become more powerful, their psychs require less repetition for a special attack, etc.

Add to that the whole "brand" stuff and how you can be caught with weak/neutral brands against a boss... And how you can't really grind, except for shut-down PP once you fought the boss and found out that you are underlevelled. I mean, sure, you can beat him on "easy", but come on... and that means also giving up on better loot.

If there is no guarantee that a pin that "could evolve" will, unless I somehow get lucky with it's arcane requirements or go online, well, I just won't bother with trying a second time. Thanks!

P.S. it also now seems to me that if you are in an area with a shop, you are supposed to grind until you get one of everything in it, (besides quest items, if you don't have required stuff). Y/N? Does the clothing also suffer from the weak brand halving, strong brand boost? TIA.

17. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    The boosts/penalties from the clothing are purely fluff in my experience.

I've not finished it on the iOS version yet, but I collected all the pins, beat every boss, secret or otherwise, and maxed every stat on the DS version: 90% of that was pure, unadulterated busy work :D

The story is amazing, and there is a huge amount of stuff you can do, but little of it is that useful to actually completing the game. It's a very traditional JRPG design in that they've stuffed it to the gills with stuff for the people who just can't get enough of it to spend countless hours upon but which, for those just looking for a good game experience, you can safely ignore. It's like the onion knight gear and super secret bosses after you finish in a Final Fantasy game, it's there if you want it, but you certainly don't need to worry about it.

I pretty much stopped paying attention to the fashion stuff in as far as actually changing what people were wearing about half-way through, too much micro (that did not, of course, stop my completionist self from collecting all the clothing/accessories in the game :p)

18. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #1018 Ayjona, Mar 6, 2013
    Yeah, only pins are affected by the popularity of brands. Threads offer flat stat bonuses and penalties.

Absolutely, patently true. For me, however, worrying about it improved the experience. Even with any OCDic urges supressed and repressed and depressed, and thus all aspiration for completionist TWEWY streak put away in a damp and dark place full of spiders and other chelicerata, I enjoyed finding a favourite pin (and Psych), and exploring different evolution branches, and variations of similar Psychs (one very nasty bullet, two penetrating bullets, or three fragmented but slightly less nasty bullets? YOU decide!).

19. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    That's great to hear, but how about when the Reapers require you to wear a complete set of brand X to open a wall? Or does it only happen once?

20. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    There's a handful of thread related "quests" in the game, but not enough that you need to worry about emptying all the shops when you come across them. You'll get told when you need to have the right clothes and then if you're missing something you can go get it, but you don't need to go out of your way in general.