Length of the review process right now?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Is it just our company or has anyone else noticed that the review process has simply slowed down to a crawl in the last few weeks 10 + days just to hit "In Review" level. We have many updates as well that simply sit until we send a reminder notice, asking if they have forgotten the app. The next day the app is reviewed. Very odd timelines right now.

2. SibaStyle

SibaStyle Active Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I too have noticed very strange review times. Some take 7 to 10 days for an update or initial review, except for the one app I have now that is #14 in US trivia, #5 in Australia, #7 in Canada (One Direction). I submitted it for an update and it was reviewed within 2 days, yet other apps sit waiting? I don't know if it has anything to do with whether or not, your app has been flagged as a top selling app or not? I found that strange.

3. Syndicated Puzzles

Figured it out!

The Mac Apps that weren't reviewed had been left alone so the apps would hit the Sandboxing requirements of June 1.

I guess now things should go back to normal. Needless to say the ones that were reviewed today got "rejected" Sandboxing violations.

4. Uncade

Uncade Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Game Developer
    My apps are usually reviewed in 7 days, I've never had one that deviated more than a day from that. Love Me Not took 8 days, but it probably took a little longer because of Memorial Day.

5. metalbean

metalbean Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    last week it took my app about 6 working days to get rejected. :(

That particular app was for China, HK and Taiwan, so I am not sure if it went through the global review process.

6. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

It has been 7 days for me, new apps and updates.

7. WeeAllan

WeeAllan Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Project Manager of Mobile
    Scotland
    We had 6 apps up for review. We got an email from apple stating that they needed more time to process our apps.

2 weeks after submission, we were finally approved and released.

It does seem to have slowed down a little in recent weeks.

8. Syndicated Puzzles

Depressing now.

Almost every single app we have in review is dying a slow death in the review process. Not sure what is going on. This is really affecting our ability to maintain our apps. Simple updates are literally just sitting until we ask for help and now even that doesn't seem to work. We are seriously contemplating removing apps that are in review and re-submitting them probably they would be approved faster. It was never like this before.

9. jeremy.provost

jeremy.provost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
  10. ColeyWoley

ColeyWoley Active Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Artist, Disparity Games
    Glad to see its not just us. We released Run Fatty Run last week, after 11 days in review. A long 11 days...

11. mIsort

mIsort Member

Jun 29, 2012
    to stay awake
    South Wales
    14 Days waiting for in review - next we will have an IAP for a fast track app review ;)

12. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

yes, my latest game took almost 12 working days to be approved! :|

13. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Same here...

14. phongtt

phongtt Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2012
    #14 phongtt, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    All my games so far started to be reviewed right after 7 business days and approved on the same day :D
    (Except one game which had a naming issue - conflicted with a TM)

Mine are pretty simple games. Complexity of a game counts, I guess (?)

15. Syndicated Puzzles

#15 Syndicated Puzzles, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    This is how we get an app "In review"

Submitted "Slice to Unlock" July 05 waited patiently for two weeks. Nothing not even in review? Sent an email to app review. Get back some standard email telling me not to worry each app has different review lengths etc. (But the app wasn't even in review?)

Called on the 18 th asked for some help to get the app in review. Finally someone called back saying they would try to get the app looked at.

If i don't call the app will simply sit there for another few weeks just to go "In review"

They definitely are not using the submission date to process apps seems very random. We also find apps just simply get forgotten.

16. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    Caveman / CavemanHD

submitted: July 9
    approved: July 20

11 days from submission to approved; waiting to review for 99% of it.

17. Venomwalker

Venomwalker New Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Co-founder NAKAI Entertainment
    Raleigh, NC
    We got bit by this as well, Shatter Crash has been waiting for review for about 9 days. I foolishly expected 6-7 days, lesson learned for future planning.

Thanks for that site jeremy, definitely bookmarking that!

18. David Phan

David Phan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    President & Producer
    Vancouver
    The "word on the street" is that with the Apple's recent change to keyword functionality, there's been a higher volume of re-submissions by developers. It's retarded that you can only edit/update keywords when you update your binary which may be the cause of the longer review/approval times.

DP

19. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    They do that so you can't go in after launch and change it all to "angry birds cut the fruit ninja rope". :)

Our recent GBWG submission took six days but was put on hold for a week to get some review codes out. So they did it slightly faster than average even when there was no pressure on.

Maybe that's the answer?

20. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    Same here: it used to take 7 days for an update to get approved, now it took 11 days. Anyway, not a big deal - still better than the usual 14+ days back in 2009...
    They must be quite busy with iOS6 / Mountain Lion testing. ;)