iPhone Battle of the Bulge (turn-based strategy game) for the iPad

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Marcus70, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    #1 Marcus70, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
    Battle of the Bulge is a turn based strategy game by Shenandoah Studio, coming to the Ipad this fall. The project was successfully funded by kickstarter a few months ago.

Taken from their kickstarter page:

"Battle of the Bulge is a serious historical simulation game about the famous World War Two battle. John Butterfield, one of the most accomplished game designers ever, has created Bulge from the start for the iPad. It is turn-based and you can:

Play by yourself, as either the Germans or Allies, or
    Face-to-face by passing the iPad, or
    Face-to-face using two iPads, or
    Over the Internet, asynchronously.

You can play as many games simultaneously as you would like, “Wars with Friends” if you will. The touch screen totally changes the experience of simulation games, making them faster to play, more interactive, and more fun."

http://www.shenandoah-studio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2nd_pass_reference-.jpg

2. Mystical knave

Mystical knave Active Member

May 29, 2012
    This looks amazing. It is also designed by John Butterfield who has a very good track record in designing war games.

3. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Based on the Kickstarter update and Owen from Pocket Tactics, sounds like this game should be on track to be submitted to Apple by the end of the month!

4. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
  5. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    It is just reported that Battle of the Bulge has been submitted to Apple for approval, so hopefully we'll see a release in a couple of weeks! December 16th, perhaps?

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Nice find EMOS!!!
    Now I know what I will play this Christmas!!!!
    Video looks damn good!

7. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Thanks, yeah this will be an insta-buy for me! :) People over at BGG and Pocket Tactics are beginning to salivate over this one. One of the beta testers says that it's an incredibly polished product.
    Not having played it yet myself, this appears to be an Avalon Hill style strategic wargame (battalion and division level) built from the ground up exclusively for the iPad and should be simple enough to cater to the beer and pretzel wargamer.

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #8 Pitta, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    I was already following the game (thanks to Pocket Tactics).
    To be honest I'm new to the genre but I fell in love with Panzer Corps demo and can't wait for it to appear on iPad....after this tutorial video I'm hyped a lot for BotB too.
    (The wait for these titles prevented me to buy BA yet...I know you are enjoying it a lot :))
    Where did you find it was submitted tough???

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. CAN'T WAIT.

9. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
  10. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Whoa.
    Hype is skyrocketing now.

I just wish for CO OP async like in StarBase Orion...for some reason I prefer it to the vs stuff.

11. Grudunza

Grudunza Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2012
    That link isn't working. The gist of it?

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I'm incredibly hyped for this one.
    Unfortunately I got word from the devs it won't be out THIS week as I hoped...the wait is killing me.

The fact I like a LOT, in comparison to Panzer Corps or even Battle Academy, is that the scope is much more focused on a single battle, not a huge campaign with huge maps.
    Expecially for async multiplayer.

I'm already drooling.

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    For your information, as per dev tweet, the game is 'waiting for review' now.
    They will probably hold the AppStore actual publishing date for some marketing time...but it's close now.

CAN'T WAIT (and hope is good as it seems).

14. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Perhaps they might try for release on December 16th, the 48 anniversary of the battle. This is only me mindlessly speculating but how neat would that be? Smart marketing and a history lesson at the same time!

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Well...I heard that rumor too from Pocket Tactics and yes...it would be neat.

But to be completely honest, I would like to play the game RIGHT NOW and I do not want to wait other 2 weeks :p
    Also...for such a niche game I would avoid the AppStore frenzy just before the lockdown.
    It's not a 'top 10 chart' game (unfortunately) but a top 100 surely yes.

A nice compromise would be...release the game immediately with an intro sale that ends on the Battle anniversary :p

I've already hyped myself with every footage I could find on the net about the Battle...I could find directions towards the Mose river even in the dark now if dropped in Bastogne :p

16. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Once the game is finally released and we get comfortable with the play mechanics feel free to hit me up for some multiplayer games :)

17. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Consider it done :)

18. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Man, the wait is killing me for this; my most anticipated title. I missed the KickStarter by only a few days and really wished I could have helped them out. I'll definitely be voting with my dollars on this one.

*clock ticks*

19. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Per a tweet from Shenandoah Studios, BotB will be released Dec 13th,15:00!

20. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada