Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 05-03-2013, 09:30 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

I generally agree with Kaply, and the point about there being no difference been 100k apps and 600k apps in terms of discoverability is true.

I'm a bit confused when you say "crap" though. Do you mean apps/games that make money but you don't find fun (and so are stealing a coveted "featured" spot), or do you mean apps that are genuinely bad and never make any money?

If it's the second, the app store already does a pretty good job of burying apps deep in the store. There are indies that release games and never make a penny.

If you meant the first, I think the apps that are on top right now do a good job of monetizing (so make good money) OR they do a great job of PR (so people want them) OR big companies are paying to keep them there (so someone is already paying a heavy premium). I don't see how extra fees on developers will help this problem.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:02 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

I get the impression that quite some people - me included, to be honest - would love to have a section in the Appstore games corner that showcases the true gems.
This does not neccessarily mean commercially successful, but ... special.
You know, the kind of game (RPGs in my case) that makes you go "whow!"
Like when I saw a dev announcing that they make a spiritual sequel to Master of Magic, and it looks good to boot.
Sorry, have to bring a named example here: Infinity Blade. No matter if you like the game or not, the graphics were something new and gorgeous by the time it was released. Flaws, bugs and whatnot aside, IB was a true milestone for iOS gaming.
Something you cannot say about the 500th tacky and badly developed Angry Zombies TD Social Freemium clone.

Showcasing games that have such an effect would be a great addition.

Maybe, something that shows *quality*. Yeah, I think that's it.

There is a boatload of cheaply done crap on the Appstore, agree with that fully.
And all that crap buries the really good stuff, no matter which genre you prefer.
So, having a "this is not crap, but totally awesome" corner somewhere in the Appstore would be nice, yes.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

The thing is Apple isn't a content aggregator / blog / magazine, so they don't have time to try new games and point out the really good ones.

I think it would be great if Apple partnered with publications like TouchArcade to host a section of the store like "Editor's Choice", where games could be highlighted for quality above downloads / revenue. This would bring these kinds of games to the mainstream. Until then, we just need to read blogs and reviews to find the hidden gems.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:28 PM

infinity blade? never heard of it.. must be one of the rare indie gems on the appstore that was never promoted by apple on their freaking keynote..

sadly games like infinity blade never get featured a dozen times up and down

editors choice section sounds great, something apple should introduce.. and maybe add a hall of fame. that would be awesome..

my only problem now is where to put the sarcasm tags and the rolleye emotes

Last edited by mr.Ugly; 05-03-2013 at 02:31 PM..
Old 05-03-2013, 04:21 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

hey Ugly
how about you name a rare gem then that deserves more attention?

I couldn't remember any right off the bat (my memory is not always the bet), so you just have to live with me using a well-known, featured, big-budget, etcblabla title as example.

Hhmm: Ravenmark. There you go, better now?

And "indie" does not automatically mean "awesome", you know...
Old 05-03-2013, 04:28 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemen View Post
The thing is Apple isn't a content aggregator / blog / magazine, so they don't have time to try new games and point out the really good ones.
Right, but they could be if they wanted to. Like, extreme example, outright buy something like TA
Old 05-03-2013, 05:36 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

I wonder if it would be a good move for them, money wise. If these "gems" aren't top-grossing, they might not make more money promoting them, but consumers might like them better for it, I dunno.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:37 AM

the point is apple already does all this and i find it odd that some of you suggest things already in place for quite some time.

as for hidden gems apple did such features too, "games you never played" or similar titled featuring games they liked but had low sales.

themed featuring is nothing new.

as for gems i honestly dont care. some games just fail no matter the products actual quality.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:22 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

I'd tend to agree on a 1,000$ deposit (credited against sales) with each submission.

If you don't think the game can earn at least this why bother submitting after all?

But that's too late anyhow with the current state of the store.