App Name DOES Matter A Lot!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by simplymuzik3, Mar 7, 2010.

1. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    We recently changed one of our app names from MindBlender Quiz to The Impossible Test. We felt that most people didn't understand what the game was about by looking at the name, so we decided to change it.

The change was successful around 3 days ago and we switched all marketing material and everything else to reflect the change. Now, 3 days later, we are seeing a major increase in sales compared to our old name! We saw about twice the revenue and our app moved up quite significantly in the Top Trivia Games. We were previously around 80 and now were in the 40's!

I really think that having a name that tells people what your app is about is a key factor! I just thought I would share this news with other developers who might also be considering a name change!

iTunes Link: http://bit.ly/c1Tjqd
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/PixelCUBEstudio

2. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    That's nice.

'MindBlender Quiz' sounds nicer than 'The Impossible Test' though, it's more unique.

3. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Yeah I agree, but I've herd from LOTS of people that they had no idea what the app was about just by looking at the name. Many App Store customers just quickly look through the icons and names within a few seconds. You only have 1 chance to show off your name and icon, and that's why we decided to change it!

4. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Of course. Just look at the app called Solitaire and that's almost always on the charts. It's one of the first Solitaire apps and probably the best selling because of the name.