China opening up? (Yes or No?)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Just wanted to know if anyone had details on the situation regarding selling apps into China on iTunes?

Also wanted to know if China does open up for our games, if developers are worried about seeing their games being copied and re-published quickly.

Do games have to be categorized as entertainment on iTunes to even be considered in China?

Infos and comments please!

If Chinese developers (Fwish where are you?) could help out with info that would be grrrreat.

2. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    You've always been able to purchase apps on the Chinese iTunes. Just not games. Has to do with the iPod/iPhone not being approved as a gaming device by the government.

Not sure why it raises the risk more than today.

For the moment, yes. My money is on that changing fairly quickly. Can't imagine Apple being too happy that the biggest sellers can't be bought, or will have to have duplicate copies in Entertainment, clogging up the review system.

3. AdriVetasoft

AdriVetasoft Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Game Designer
    Belgium
    yes, only app not game are currently available in the china app store.

We did not know exactly why or when, but in our case, we have decide to fully translated our games in 10 languages including the chinese simplified.

So to guide you on your "yes or no" question, in our vision, we are ready in case of a change in the china app store.

4. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

no
    game is now in China.

5. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    When did this happen???? :)

Edit: Hmmm, not all my games are there yet. They must be in the middle of putting everything in...

6. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Is Simplified Chinese the correct language to be translating to for the App Store?

7. Syndicated Puzzles

Eh Fwish,
    Your English is perfect when you are describing your own games! How come now when we need you to articulate properly the cat has got your (tongue) vocabulary!

8. PocketMonkey

PocketMonkey Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Currently, China does NOT allow the "entertainment" or "games" category of iTunes.

This is because the Ministry of Culture has determined that content to be incompatible with the focus of China and in violation of censorship protocols.

Article to show Chinas Communist Party that controls all forms of media in the country: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/business/global/05yuan.html

9. Syndicated Puzzles

#9 Syndicated Puzzles, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
    Hi Little White Bear,

I used these guys to translate for me and they did a great job. I had a Chinese friend read the translation and he was very impressed. Turn around was very quick! They are fluent in English (one of them actually is an American) making the whole process simple.( I suggested they post their services on Touch Arcade! )

I have no hesitation recommending Sino App!

Here is the info
    sino.app
    sino-app.com
    shanghai, china
    [email protected]

10. Syndicated Puzzles

PocketMonkey,

Never underestimate the power of the US dollar! Check out the Chinese iTunes store!
    Green is the colour that makes anything possible!

11. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Games have been missing until recently, but Entertainment has been there the whole time. Some devs have released alternate versions of their games for that very reason.

Are you suggesting that what we're seeing on the Chinese App Store really isn't what they're seeing?

12. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestion! However, I already have a working relationship with DYS Translations, and have been extremely happy with their services, so I'll most likely be sticking with them. :)

13. Syndicated Puzzles

I don't know if games are up and running or for sale in China ! But I have been in the Chinese store many times and I can't remember the game section being listed so prominently. It looks real to me! Are you suggesting the western world sees something different? I think they are ready to go. Hopefully the devs will see revenue from China!

14. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    The last time I checked a few weeks back, the games section was not there, so this is recent. Bet the good sales numbers won't kick in until the iPhone debut on the 30th.

15. PatchFactory

PatchFactory Well-Known Member

Yes, it is open. Just bought 33rd Divisions. something I want buy long time ago

16. AdriVetasoft

AdriVetasoft Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Game Designer
    Belgium
    True. I just check and YES, games are now available on the China App Store ;)

17. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Forgive me for my ignorance on this matter, but how big will the iDevice market be in China, relatively speaking? I know the potential is there because of the large population, but to the best of my knowledge India is not a huge market for iDevice games, even though they too have a large population. From my understanding, this is mainly due to the pricing structure, and I wasn't sure if the Chinese market would share a similar fate. Can someone enlighten me on this matter, I'd greatly appreciate it! :D

18. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    It depends on which expert you ask. Some think it will be huge. Some think it will be very tiny, due to the fact that iPhones and clones have been available there through other means for a couple years now. From what I hear, the China App Store has had pretty small sales up to now.

So, nobody knows for sure. For me, if China can bring me an extra $50 a day, I'd be satisfied. :)

19. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    I also think China might be a much smaller deal (at least in the short term) than people say. Hope to be proven wrong. But like Pharmx points out, there are a lot of countries with high populations (like India) where you're lucky to get one sale/month.

Another problem may be culture. For example, the iPhone is apparently very popular in Russia. However, #1 apps only get daily downloads in the double digits. And that's because piracy is rampant. People don't think twice about it.

Not sure how that translates to China, but my going theory is that it's going to be a blip for us. We'll see.

20. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Too true. I've sold a whopping 115 copies of my games in India in the last year. Let's hope China will do better than that. :)