iPad Froggy Jump by Invictus (Free)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by freedog, Apr 21, 2010.

1. invictusgames

invictusgames Well-Known Member

Gems of Froggy Jump

First of all thanks for your words, we take them into consideration and will tweak the game with upcoming updates.

Secondly, the items in the in-game shop are non compulsory ones to beat the game. Obviously you don't need to buy all the character customization items too. Boosting items like rockets, laser-shield, spike shield... etc are items to help you if you need some assistance, but the full depth of the game can be explored without them as well.

On the other hand you get 45 Gems for your dollar and you can find a few additional gems in-game, placed randomly.
    For these at least 45 Gems you can buy numerous things initially as well, so it's up to you how to spend them. Some buys clothes, some buys an auto-rocket, someone buys a head-bucket. Those who want more can buy more.

But again, the items are extras and are not necessary to jump your frog really high.

2. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    How high up do you have to go to encounter gems...I haven't found a single one yet? I think it would be cool if you earned gems by reaching certain heights...so even people who are not that good can still earn gems while someone who is really good will likely earn gems faster to buy the customizations.

I do have to agree though, what's stopping someone from buying gems and rocket boosts and getting an easy boost up the leaderboards?

3. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    #23 cranker, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
    I am wondering the same thing. It sounds like this would make the leaderboards useless which would mean "delete" for me. I am very competitive and things have to be equal to keep it fun and fair. One way arounjd this is if purchased items are used your score should not be included on the leaderboard or put on a seperate leaderboards. I really hate when you can buy your way to the top (not sure if this is the case with this game or not) or do the same board over and over again to get to the top (Gianna Sisters)....etc .......this removes all the motivation to play the game and get high scores.

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Invictus is trying to make the same feeble argument made by FDG about Parachute Panic's $0.99 for extra lives which to EVERYBODY was a blatant "pay to play" deal since they're all using the same scoreboard. They reasoned really good players wouldn't need the extra lives and even with the extra lives, a complete newbie wouldn't be competitive. Sure but, as we countered in unison, a semi-competent player WOULD have a huge advantage and this was clearly an unspoken selling point of that DLC.

5. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal

This kind of "pay for extra lives" or gems in this case make the leaderboards useless and the game itself useless to me. What's the point ? It might make you some extra money in the short run, but probably not in the long run. As someone who has been playing video games for many years, these kind of money making extras are completely unacceptable. An insult to serious gamers as well as most casual gamers....IMO of course.

Talk about ruining a game :(

6. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    This is the type of game that's purpose is all about distance, competition and the leaderboards. There is no other purpose. Now I could see DLC for extra scenery maybe, but when you start charging for powerups it destroys the fairness involved in the competition. This is basically a $5 Doodle Jump for anyone who sincerely expects to compete, as its clear you will easily reach a lot higher distance the more $ you spend.

So if you don't mind spending $5 on a Doodle Jump style game then this is fine, just keep in mind the competition still won't be equal or fair to a large extent because the majority of people who are paying the $.99 only are basically playing a different game.

7. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    And the reason why the gameplay feels off is because you can't actually earn the powerups or find enough gems unless of course, you pay for them. I could see paying for the DLC as being a quick option for someone to get the powerups if it took a long time to earn/acquire them in the game, but the problem is that there is no way to earn/acquire the powerups AT ALL without buying them. For example, there is no way to earn extra rocket slots in the game even at a slow pace, yet you can buy a bunch of them with real money right away.

8. invictusgames

Froggy Jump is now free

We are happy to announce that Froggy Jump is now FREE! Grab it while its hot!

9. estamas

estamas Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    game deloper
    Hungary
    wow

im happy u made the game free, now a lot of people will enjoy it. as i see the openfeint leaderboard is now over 1900 users, thats impressive.

btw i found about 8 gems with circa 1 hour of play, so i dont think its impossible to buy the stuffs in the store.

10. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    And yet all three of your posts have been about invictus games. A big fan I see.

But for the rest of us, I have been trying to play for over an hour and only came across the flame and the bouncing mushrooms. Only one blue gem so far. So I am unlucky? I haven't even filled the second rocket slot! Will I be able to?

I don't mind if a dev wants to make some extra money via DLC but I do mind when it is game related and your success in the game is directly proportional to how much money you are willing to spend.

11. mobileben

mobileben Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    Zgrunturos and San Francisco
    I haven't put in an hour but I have gotten the second rocket slot and saw a 2nd gem ;). I unfortunately died out of my excitement from trying to get such a rare treat.

Not sure how that rocket stuff is supposed to work tho. I see a message about auto-rocket kicking in when you fall, but it never does.

12. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    I tapped the screen once by accident and it actually used the rocket to shoot me higher. I have now seen the bunches of balloons that carry you higher too.

I think the power ups might just be few and far between. But the gems I have not really seen them at all.

But honestly, leaderboards are not all that important to me, so the power ups to go higher aren't really needed and given that it is a fun see how high you can go game. Will I make it to the top? Probably not without the power ups, but even without them it is fun at least.

But I can see those that are trying to make it up the leaderboards being frustrated since there is no differentiation between DLC scores and non-DLC scores. Perhaps a way to make it equitable between the two is to deduct a penalty if you will, for each power up used. So yes you can go higher but at the cost of the score. Then the ones that want to get a higher score won't feel as compelled to purchase the power ups - but then again that is kind of the point I realize.

13. invictusgames

New update is imminent!

Hello Froggy Jump Players!​

The new update is imminent with new items, new minigame, new platforms and new planets to discover! Other cool features are also in development!

14. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    version 1.2 is out:
    What's New
    New minigame: Word game (online to win prizes and gems)
    New ingame item
    New platform type
    New shop item
    2 new alien planets
    Congratulations to Scur37 and EvanWinfield to their planets.

15. invictusgames

Version 1.2 is out!

Hello Froggy Jump Players!

Version 1.2 is out introducing our new minigame: WordGame
    Collect the letters ingame to win gems or items. We will add a new word perodically so check back often!

Note: Be sure to be online to recieve your word from our servers!

16. kissrocknroll

kissrocknroll Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    NL
    any way i can buy diamonds trough itunes?

17. invictusgames

Gems

You can only buy gems at the in-game shop.

There are three packs:
    45 Gems : $0.99
    105 Gems : $1.99
    255 Gems : $3.99

18. invictusgames

Version 1.4 is coming!

NEXT VERSION WILL INCLUDE:
    - two new themes (free to unlock)
    - two new frog characters with special abilities (free to unlock)
    - connect-able powerups
    - two new score tables
    - and more...

Get ready!

19. locomouse

locomouse New Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Hi to everyone... :)

May I ask if the Word Game has been discontinued with the latest version of Froggy Jump? I updated two days ago and even though I'm online I don't get the Word Game happening.

Also, this version is very jerky in its movements. For instance, when using a rocket or the balloons, the game will keep halting for a split second. This never happened with the older version and I sure hope there's a way to fix it.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated. I absolutely LOVE Froggy Jump... but miss the Word Game and the smooth play of previous versions.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Helen

20. brentlmt

brentlmt New Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Addictive game

I started on the iPod touch. Once you have the autorocket you can set the device on its side with the top to the left and foggy will launch on his own, usually within a minute. Now that I have all the upgrades I need I spend all my gems gambling. Have over 1000 gold bars. my record is 7 gems in one passive run. I play now mostly on my android. The gem magnet for the underwater levels weaker and you can't buy a separate gem magnet yet. All in all it's a fun game.