Universal Zen Pinball - by Zen Studios

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sun Vulcan, Nov 30, 2011.

?

Which of the first three tables do you prefer? (only vote if you've played all three)

1. Sorcerer's Lair

48.0%
  2. Wolverine

23.0%
  3. Captain America

16.4%
  4. Don't like any of them

12.5%
  1. jeffy777

jeffy777 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2010
    #81 jeffy777, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
    After more testing, turning off the Dot Matrix Display boosts performance more than anything else on iPad 1, which sucks, but at least there's a way to make it smoother. Turning off Arcade Effects doesn't seem to help much.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a performance update from Zen since even some iPad 2 and 4S users are reporting some choppiness.

2. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    this is something thats always bugged me about Zen's engine. I've got the PS3 game and so often you get into a sequence where the same pattern repeats over and over again. It really starts to feel like the physics engine isn't very nuanced. The ball will loop up a chute, around and back down a ramp to the flipper, you shoot it back up and it does exactly the same thing over again and again - and you aren't actively trying to do it. I've got Williams PBHOF on the PS3 as well and the tables play in a much more "organic" way afaic. I also find it really hard to aim shots at all in ZP. Its more of a crapshoot trying to target specific things. Also, I find the tables really too busy and cramped.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Don't the Xbox and PS3 versions enable you to rotate the image for those people who don't mind turning their screens sideways? Maybe I'm thinking of another game.

Also, are the performance issues just on the two DLC tables? I tried the free one and it's far, far smoother than I expected on my iPod 4th gen.

4. Cowboyman381

Cowboyman381 Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    Thanks for the update, I'm going to try that today....honestly I don't always pay much attention to it.....The ball moves so fast sometimes I'm afraid to look around the table much :)

5. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    They need to hurry up and bust out with the Spider-Man and Fantastic Four tables; I can fully enjoy and appreciate 5 tables at once.

It would also be cool to see Hulk, X-Men, DareDevil and Avengers tables. Also I'd like to see at least one female-centered table... maybe Storm or She-Hulk?

6. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    Downloaded Tables

The Free table is by far the best. Then Captain A, and Wolverine being the most boring.

Like all Zen Pinball Games, there are some tables that are bland despite the theme.

Overall, I'm enjoying this much more than War Pinball (Gameprom).

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I don't remember Pinball Hall of Fame being better in this, but it's been a while since I played it. Maybe I'll fire it up again. In any case while Zen Pinball is fun enough, I'm a *lot* more excited about The Pinball Arcade. I can't wait!

8. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    I played Medieval Madness a ton in WPHOF and never really had that weird "canned" feeling that I get almost every time I play ZP...

9. jeffy777

Oct 31, 2010
    Yeah, I'm getting used to playing without it, but I trap the ball constantly, which is usually when I look up at it.....plus it helps with missions, and is kind of required for some of them......but yeah, turning it off makes the game run a lot smoother.

10. Cowboyman381

Cowboyman381 Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    First time I played it without it on I realized that I did use it more than I thought......using it to set your camera setting was the first thing I went to do and missed it.....but you're right it did improve the smoothness very much, I'm going to keep it that way !

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Been enjoying this one, only question so far - is it supposed to take so long to enter your initials? It's certainly easier in real life - the left/right/checkmark buttons all seem very sluggish on my iPhone4...

12. jeffy777

Oct 31, 2010
    Right on. Maybe they can make a lower res version of the DMD? Or just optimize it somehow?

Also certain camera angles seem to run a bit smoother, too.

13. goonjamin

goonjamin Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I thought the same about the highscore initials buttons being laggy too but it almost seems like the hit box for the presses just isn't lined up or big enough. For the right hand side button if if I hit a little to the left of the arrow it works great and for the other side if I hit a little to the right same thing. It would however be awesome if it would remember the last initials I entered to save me from re-typing the same thing over and over :D

14. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

That's true. Sorcerer's Lair runs pretty smooth on my iPhone 4 (the same goes for iPad 1 although here on the large screen you feel a tiny difference to iPad 2) and the other two tables seem to have a framerate at (or slightly under) 30 fps on iPhone 4 and iPad 1. But as said and proved before: Quite playable.

iPad 2: All tables perfect smooth and stable, obviously 60+ fps. (All numbers guessed.)

15. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #95 Misguided, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
    I'm finding the game to run much more smoothly on ipad2 with the arcade effects off. I prefer it that way anyway.

Aside from not understanding why I don't have a score in GameCenter, I think that (having played Pinball FX on 360 and Zen on PS3) that this is a fantastic implementation (with reference to playing on iPad). I'm really hoping we get Mars and some of the older designs like Shaman, Tesla, etc.

16. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Had the same problem today... had to redownload... but you won't get charged again.

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    The Marvel tables DO play much better with Arcade Effects off...but what in blazes are these so called "Arcade Effects" referring to? I know how to turn them off in options, I just don't get what these effects effect.

I've noticed things get REALLY LAGGY if I come back to the game after being minimalized.

18. Habakuk

I can't confirm that. No stutters, perfect smooth on iPad 2.

I can't confirm that. No difference on my iPad 2. Did you ever jailbreak your device?

19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm tempted to try this but wouldn't this mean having no clue how many seconds you have left in bonus modes?

20. Habakuk

iPad 2? I can't confirm that. I killed a Wolverine gameplay with the home button and used Safari for a while and played another game. Then I brought up ZP out of the multitasking bar. A menue screen with the "Resume Game" option shows up. After the tap a cue count 3 - 2 - 1 comes and the game resumes without any lag or stutter.

The only thing that I can admit is one freeze of a fraction of a second in 30 min gameplay. But I never had a computer without such minor faults.