Do you guys think Infinity Blade will be ported to the wii

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stirolak26, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Or that you'd rather have it on the wii due to the control implementation probably being better on the wii with full swings?

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    No. If anything, PS Move, but no chance of that either.

3. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I really laughed my butt off reading the thread title.

4. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    wii has nowhere as near as great graphics

5. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
  6. WingedDevil

WingedDevil Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Luxembourg
  7. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Try playing Red Steel 2, Zangeki no Reginleiv, or Conduit 2/last story to see then.

8. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I played Conduit I have a wii and love it. But Epic Citadel has much better graphics than it.

9. coolestk!d

coolestk!d Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2009
    School...
    Around
    Lol absolutely not, where do people get these assumptions? Just because of the sword swinging?
    But seriously wii doesn't run unreal engine 3.

10. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
  11. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #12 LBG, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    So you believe one person? That guy doesn't know what he's talking about, he hasn't compared the technical specifications. It's quite clear that the iPhone 4 comes out on top.

iPhone 4:

- 1GHz CPU
    - 512 MB of RAM

Wii:

- 729 MHz CPU
    - 88 MB of RAM

I didn't really need to compare the specs anyway. I've never seen anything with graphics as good as Epic Citadel on the Wii. I doubt the Wii is even capable of running the unreal engine 3, let alone a fully fledged game using the engine.

So the Wii is more powerful than a console that's almost a decade old? Well that's impressive :rolleyes:

12. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
  13. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    But seriously guys, to those who own both an idevice and a wii. Wouldn't you rather play it with a wii ote than swipe controls let's say everything else remaining the same?

14. TNT_HEADSHOT

TNT_HEADSHOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
  15. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'd rather play it in real life, ya know roaming around the neighborhood swinging my sword, armor chafing up in my crotch! :D

16. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #17 GDSage, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
    Except you should know full well there is nothing of value in comparing raw numbers like that. Different CPU's operate in different ways so comparing the clockspeed like that is pointless. Same goes for RAM. The RAM in the iDevices are crappy slow, which is why there is a need for so much (it is also much cheaper to have a huge bulk of crappy RAM than it is to use quality RAM of a fraction of that amount). In any case, only a fraction of that 512MB can be used for games, so it's pointless to point out the full amount like that.

As for the topic title... no, Infinity Blade will not be ported to the Wii because Epic has no interest in the Wii. Or rather, Epic has no interest in systems without programmable pipelines.

The Wii (and its predecessor the GCN) use an alternative from DirectX and OpenGL, called TEV. TEV has some particular strengths but overall it pales in comparison to DX and OpenGL, in documentation but especially because TEV has a hardcoded setup. For studios who live DirectX and OpenGL and have breathed them for over a decade now, TEV is seen as an effort not worth putting the work into and who can blame them as only one system uses TEV and it will be the only system to use TEV as Nintendo has outright stated it has been dropped from further systems.

Anyway, Epic are all about programmable renderers, it's basically the MO of the whole company. If a system does not support it then it will be at odds with their core business, which is to create engines to work across multiple platforms that use programmable pipelines. To force the engine on a system that does not allow it would mean a huge reworking of said engine, the outcome of which would either be an engine that would not run very well or an engine so scaled back (dumbed down) it would call in to question why it was ported in the first place and not Unreal Engine 2.0 / 2.5 instead.

The industry is dominated with staggeringly documented standards and for good reason, it allows more progress to be made in particular fields due to the amount of documentation available but it also keeps costs down as anything gained isn't thrown to waste going from generation to generation (a waste that was the case during the NES/SNES/PlayStation eras). So, when a product enters this shared arena not featuring those standards it's hardly surprising developers will not be performing backflips for it.

So yeah, it ain't going to the Wii. If Epic can dismiss the 3DS because it uses a fixed pipeline, even though it supports OpenGL and can support all the functionality of the MT Framework engine, then the Wii is certainly out of the question. Blame Nintendo for going with such a crazy-odd setup for their consoles.

17. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Seriously

18. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Would you care to support that statement using evidence other than pointless tech stats?

19. TNT_HEADSHOT

TNT_HEADSHOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    I was not referring to tech stats, I was referring to the lack of good games that didn't star a fat plumber in blue overalls.