★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
12-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Like this style too much...
12-21-2013, 05:32 AM
Is there a HD iPad version of this app? Noticed a non-universal version in iPhone AppStore.

12-21-2013, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceraux View Post
Now this will get more attention because of that suspicious title.
You guys know that an epoch is a time in history, right? Synonyms of it are "era" or "age". The game Epoch didn't invent the word.
12-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Been playing some more

- No IAP or ads
- The minimalist style is absolutely fantastic
- Gameplay is essentially an RPG. From your station, you talk with people at the cafe, take missions, buy ships and outfit them with new equipment
- From there, you leave and enter the star map, where you travel between planets.
- Encounters pop up as you travel between planets and you'll discover new stations for you to dock in
- Combat is turn based and seems like it had a lot of depth. "Seems like" because I can't figure out how to turn the tools dials, so haven't been able to really dive into the combat
- Combat has an FTL-lite vibe. You're able to recruit crew members and target different subsystems of enemy ships
- Can be hard to tap icons on a smaller screen and the pop-up messages can get annoying. Minimalist style can also be a negative since it can be tough to figure out how to do certain actions or what icons are for specific locations, etc.

Overall this is an absolute free hidden gem and I can't wait to play more
12-21-2013, 10:16 AM
I believe this can be really good but it needs a manual or something. I have no idea what to do in a fight. I destroyed one ship by randomly fireing torpedoes at it. I guess I have to destroy the shield, the weapons and the hull in a specific order? Also from a specific angel? I honestly can't figure it out. And I tried a lot. Spent like half an hour or more on fighting the two pirate ships. I just quit because I couldn't destroy the second one.
Also they shot at me like crazy and I didn't take damage. I don't know if that's broken or I just don't get something. I would really want to play this but it needs some tips on how to.
Another thing, there have to be names for the rooms on a station. It's hard to differentiate. And the saving before and after landing and the docking process are very long.
I will continue to play. Maybe I can figure out the fighting, but some tips would be awesome!
12-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Game Impressions

Much like others in this thread, I think this exhibits both huge potential and one of the more attractive art styles in the App Store. But there is a lot between this and a pleasantly playable product. Even on a 5S, the interface is unresponsive at times, and it's hard to know if some HUD elements are interactive at all. They have the dials you expect to turn, but tapping away at them has no effect, or just changes their default info.

The writing is very uneven. There are some examples of elegant phrasing and attempts at immersion, but also typos, peculiar syntax, and a very uneven register, tone, diction and style.

Luckily, all of these misgivings seem to fade in contrast to the tutorial. It is, without comparison, the most annoying and frustrating interactive game guide I have ever sludged through. Sluggish text messages that both obscure the HUD elements the player is supposed to interact with and that lag when tapped to remove, ambiguous, vague or directly confusing instructions, incomplete orders ("go to the outfitter. There might be nice stuff there", but no direct order to buy anything, something the player must do in order to proceed), and messages that keep popping up just after they have been closed (again obscuring whatever the players needs to tap in order to fulfill that particular instruction).

Long way to go is sadly my assessment. But once the going has been going'd, I think we will find a unique, immersive, attractive and very engaging product.

Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona
12-21-2013, 12:02 PM
I must be one of a handful of people that hates this iOS 7 Fischer-Price looking minimalist art style. The game mechanics seem interesting, even with all the slow response times the UI seems plagued with, I just can't stand the look of the game.
12-21-2013, 01:26 PM
I liked the look of this but to some people seem to think strategy means unecessarily overly complicate things all I wanted to do was shoot a ship and had to go through ten menus before I could shoot something then I missed.
12-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjack66 View Post
i liked the look of this but to some people seem to think strategy means unecessarily overly complicate things all i wanted to do was shoot a ship and had to go through ten menus before i could shoot something then i missed.
LOL

I haven't played yet, the art turned me off, BUT if the game is as described, gotta give it a chance. Gameplay > Graphics

Last edited by ScotDamn; 12-21-2013 at 02:33 PM.
12-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjack66 View Post
I liked the look of this but to some people seem to think strategy means unecessarily overly complicate things all I wanted to do was shoot a ship and had to go through ten menus before I could shoot something then I missed.
I don't think the developer complicated for the sake of complication. I think she/he wanted to make a tactical space RPG, not a game here you just shoot at other ships

Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona