christmas promo code collaboration?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Sauce Digital, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Sauce Digital

Sauce Digital Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    hi folks

To tie in with the UK iTunes stores event: http://www.itunes12daysofchristmas.co.uk/

I have put together a site called http://www.12daysofchristmasapps.com to tie in with it, hopefully it could be a good promotional event for devs who join in.

The idea is to get a bunch of developers to submit a few promo codes which will be given out at random to people who enter the competition over Christmas.

I will do all the donkey work, you will get:

* listed on the site - first come first served in terms of position up the page.
    * listed in an email that will go out to everyone who enters, each day that promos are givene away,
    even if they didnt win - listing the games that were given away that day.

If you want to join in, send me:

1. image 200 X 250 for main image, and A link for it.
    2. a list of games/apps to include in the competition, a link to each and the promo code(s) for each.

I'm going to start publicizing the site tomorrow.

Cheers, let me know if you have questions, my email is [email protected]

Morgan

2. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Cool, I'll be sending you some stuff tonight :)

3. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    Great idea - hope you can find space for everyone who's interested. :)

4. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    12 spots :) first come - first serve.. i know i made row two - and he'll be updating the site in the morning GMT time. i think by now; most of the slots may be gone, but definitely give it a shot!

5. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I sent an email earlier today but received no response. I pretty much have an unlimited supply of promo codes right now, if they can all be used within the next 3 weeks.

6. Sauce Digital

Dec 30, 2008
    hi everyone, there are actually unlimited spots, but the sooner you get in, the higher up the page(s) you will be. Will reply to all emails tomorrow (it's 23:47) here :)

7. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Yay, row 3 for Super Juicy. I might have to enter the contest too; there are a bunch of games that I'd like to try on there. :)

8. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

Man, I wish I could say I contributed a few codes, but I'm just taking from the codes (I'm a consumer)

9. TechnicArtist

TechnicArtist Active Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Email sent.
    Great idea! :D

10. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    Still waiting for a feedback...

11. enuhski

enuhski Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    #11 enuhski, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
    Signed up! And I'd love to help promote it as part of the press! Please PM me :) Promoted the event on twitter :)

12. cfreshmedia

cfreshmedia Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Game developer, designer
    Austin, TX
    I donated my last promo codes for Rummage. I posted the website link on Facebook. I hope a ton of folks check it out.

13. knittytal

knittytal Member

Oct 4, 2009
    United States
    United States
    christmas promo code collaboration

I am trying to but codes in to NES emulator put allways when i put code and enable the game genie its disappear when i watch again and it dont work ... whys that ? can you help?

14. Mike_RNR

Mike_RNR Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2009
    lead dev on Storm Attack
    Minnesota
    Thank you

Just sent in my info. Thanks much for organizing this!

15. Sauce Digital

Dec 30, 2008
    365 codes now!

great stuff eveyone.

cheers

Morgan

16. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i am curious to know how i was on row two (first) then i was moved to row three; i thought it was first come first served? hope your not playing favourites with who is ordered first.. i do have an email from you saying "you are in the second row"...

17. I noticed the same thing. Also, Imangi's games and MiniSquadron, got put on the top tow. MiniSquadron only offered one code and was added days after the others and now it is first after the SD games! I presume this is because they are "more popular".

Morgan, I can't tell you how to run your site or promotion, and I have no problem with you listing your games first since you organized the whole thing, but the other reorderings do concern me.

That is the type of favoritism we already have to fight against with Apple in the AppStore. I hoped that as an indie developer yourself you would not make the same mistakes as Apple, and would support indie devs in a fair way.

18. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I agree. I noticed that I was bumped down a row a few days ago, but I didn't say anything about it. Now it seems that it does concern other developers too.

I've provided 20 codes, and could have provided more, which I think is generous for any type of promotion. There is no guarantee that 20 codes can even be given away- some of those who registered may already have the game- there are some 30,000 full versions out there already.

No Flickitty isn't a big deal, but I think those that got involved early should see some type of respect. You can leave Flickitty where it is, but bump everyone else up where they properly belong.

19. Sauce Digital

Dec 30, 2008
    #19 Sauce Digital, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
    Hi,

I do feel bad, please bear with me, I only started dev'ing the site last wednesday. All your concerns are well founded and I probably would have annoyed me if the roles were switched.

I made Row 1 is a sort of featured area I will change every two/three days, a) to keep the site looking fresh, and help with pr - as ive done this morning. b) some contributors were upset as they didnt realise (because i cocked up and didnt make clear) that listing get added at the bottom, some now on the next page.

This has had the effect of pushing the listings down, but I though 3 space was ok as it will be the same for everyone - and most people will get 2 days in the top row.

Aaron - mobile1up is on the list for the next change, you will be along side Coconut Island Studio and Viacheslav Klimov.

I really hope I havnt upset you too much, i really havny had time to ornanise a better descriotion of whats going on! Please let me know if you still have concerns.

Thanks

Morgan

PS - My fiance bought Flickitty after seeing it on the site, Ive had a go and love it :)

20. Jack Shiels

Jack Shiels Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Im going to send mine in... look forward to it!