Gleamer - A new type of platformer [Universal]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by emorrisgames, Jul 4, 2013.

1. #1 emorrisgames, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

Hi everyone. I'd like to tell you about my new game 'Gleamer', which is a one-touch twitch/puzzle platformer.

The premise of the game is quite simple: You have a gleamer (the yellow box), which moves automatically back and forth between the walls of the room. When it touches a wall, its speed increases. You control the gleamer by touching the screen to make it jump.

In each level there are five stars. Use your gleamer to collect the five stars to finish the level. There are blue platforms and red platforms. You can use the blue platforms, but not the red ones. Red platforms will destroy your gleamer.

Each level has a 'Master Time'. For those who enjoy an extra challenge, you will want to collect the stars faster than the 'Master Time' for that level. To do this you will have to figure out what order to get the stars in, control your speed, and have very precise timing.

There are 50 challenging levels in the game. You can see a small selection of some of them below.

Here is a short trailer (the captured footage is 30fps, but the actual game runs at 60fps):

Level examples:

[​IMG]

The game is universal, and should be playable on all devices from iPhone 3GS and newer. I will be looking for testers really soon, so it would be great it anyone wants to help me test it. I'd be especially grateful for testers with an iPhone 3GS or iPad 1, as I haven't tested on these myself. I'm aiming for release in late July/early August.

Feel free to ask me any questions in this thread. I'll reply as soon as possible, however I am in Australia so I might be sleeping while you are awake. Also, you can follow me on twitter @emmetmorris.

2. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Great game i cant' waiting. Very challenge game through levels

3. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I really like the clean design and simplicity shown here; it gives me the feeling of a classic arcade game. Nice! :)

4. Thank you both. The look was somewhat inspired by the original Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm a huge platformer fan and a huge d-pad fan BUT i must admit this game looks good with the way it works. Simple gameplay but looks great.

Also love the graphics, dont get me wrong i'm not saying they're 'easy to create' but the nice clean crisp simpilicity of it all just makes it look great. I dont know why other indie devs dont go for this type of style, often you see a lot of shoddy poor graphics. Just go for a retro neon type of look like you've got here.

Instant purchase for me when its out

6. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Wow, just surprise nice gameplay with simple control platform game.

7. Thanks for the kind words.

I'm a big fan of traditional platformers myself. I've also come to be a big fan of mobile games with one-touch mechanics, like Tiny Wings. I originally started this game as an experiment to see if I could marry the two together in an interesting way. I'm very happy with the result, and I'm confident that you will enjoy the game.

8. bouaweje

bouaweje New Member

Jul 5, 2013
    it gives me the feeling of a classic arcade game. Nice!

9. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Reminds of Bitless in some ways, but looks really cool. Another game to add to my watchlist

10. bagofeyes

bagofeyes Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Australia
    Looks rad man

11. titanium2013

titanium2013 New Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Sounds good.
    Screen design is very good.
    Looking forward to your design game

12. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Man, thanks for demo vid, this is very cool.

13. Testers wanted

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I am now looking for beta testers for 'Gleamer'. The game should work on devices from iPhone 3GS and newer, running iOS 5.0 and later.

Please sign up here: http://tflig.ht/1bhSp5w

14. Update:

I have now submitted Gleamer to Apple, so hopefully it should be out in the next couple of weeks. The price will be $0.99. Thanks to all who helped test it. I will post again when I have an exact date.

15. This game looks very interesting, keep us informed!

16. Thank you! And if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

17. #20 emorrisgames, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    Just a reminder: This comes out tonight!