Universal Neuroshima Hex (by Portal Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Sep 17, 2010.

1. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Great news. I'll be buying this as soon as I find a wifi hotspot, damn this 20mb 3G limit.

2. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    Yeah, we tried to reach size below 20MB, but I think this is almost impossible for more complex games :)

3. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Looks great but is really unapproachable for the new player. The game pieces really mean nothing to me and there seems to be no way from the game board to get an explanation as to what they do; I have to go back to the menu, then to the 'help' and try to remember what the piece looked like as I scroll through the 'units' - then navigate back to the game - which has reverted back to the start of my turn because I left the game board.

Sorry - great effort but a good game shouldn't be this hard to 'get into'.

Why not simply have a 'help' button on the board game screen that'll tell me about the unit I have selected? Problem solved.

Jamie.

4. BigDaddysCreations

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    @badmanj, that's exactly what we think, but we had a choice - to make the game available this month or add and test the new functionality and publish it a month later. This help button is much more tricky to add then you expect, but it will be there.

5. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Game looks beautiful.

6. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    #66 trystero, Sep 18, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
    Not sure if this has been asked already, but is the any way to see what a tile does in the middle of a game without having to Pause -> Rules -> Armies -> Units?

Loving the game so far, just not always remembering how the tiles work :)

Oh man nevermind. This was answered two posts ago!!! Not enough coffee this morning yet.

7. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well adding good tutorials and easy access to important information regardings units, rules etc. is something that is vital to sucess to a game, especially if its an complex game.

pushing back the release by a month would have been the better choice instead of giving player the feel of an unfinsihed game. usability is very important and a release month later would have not make a big difference
    except you had a better product and you'll be nearer to the sweat spot of xmas holidays with thousands of new ipod touch owner getting their new toy and redeeming their first itunes gift cards

anyway good luck with youre sales.

8. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I had never played this game before downloading it and I have had no trouble learning and understanding the game. This game really is not that complex, it took probably ten minutes of reading the tutorial and manual and playing one game to understand the game completely for me. This game really takes a short time to understand but a long time to master, the sign of a quality game in my opinion.

9. BigDaddysCreations

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    @ojtitus, exactly. Game isn't that hard to learn, there's just a few symbol to get to know and few basic rules. I agree with other guys, that adding an in-game help button would be helpful (and we will add this), but not having such button does not mean you can learn the game.

10. iDRevolution

iDRevolution Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Canada
    why enemeys base can attack back on phase 0
    but mine no?

11. Slaysme

Slaysme Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Mr ugly.... Game is hardly unfinished. Play a few, you'll get it quick enough.
    Yes, a button/gesture would be nice to remind you of certain powers, but irl, you'd still have to look it up.
    Once again, good job devs!

12. Slaysme

Slaysme Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Ohio
    All Bases attack adjacent enemies on phase 0. See the melée triangles ?if I'm wrong... Maybe it's netted?

13. iDRevolution

Jun 4, 2010
    Canada
    can you tell me which card/unit stopping me from attacking back at phase 0 [im the green :s]
    [​IMG]

14. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I'm assuming you are the blue headquarters?

If so, you aren't attacking because you have no valid targets. From what I remember from the boardgame (I don't have the iphone version :() the HQs only attack on Phase 0 and have a range of one space in all directions. The blue base is only touching blue tiles

15. BigDaddysCreations

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    So this may be a bug. Green base (The Outpost) should attack in phase 0.

16. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Oops didn't catch that part about you being the green base. You said before that the enemy's base could attack so I thought you meant in the same phase.

Was the problem only in this one game or a recurring issue?

17. iDRevolution

Jun 4, 2010
    Canada
    nope before it was ok

18. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    So why not create a web page or a PDF that can be printed out, that can be used as a 'crib' to what pieces do what, as a great aide to people learning to play the game? That would be a lot quicker to produce than a patch to the game ;-)

Jamie.

19. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    You can find those on BoardGameGeek

20. #80 mrbass, Sep 18, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
    http://www.headlesshollow.com/freebies_games.html#neu
    Four page PDF print out and your golden.