Universal Tiny Tower: 5th Anniversary Edition (by NimbleBit)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jun 22, 2011.

1. bprichard

bprichard Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Global Operations Manager
    Shanghai
    If I'm right about the level costs growing geometrically, what you said doesn't matter.

Sources of income:
    Coins
    More stores: linear growth (assuming all items cost 1, 2 and 3 coins, which seems to be the case, although who knows? Maybe something different happens later, although I doubt it)
    More bitizens: linear growth (100 rent/day/bitizen which grows to be irrelevant quickly)
    Elevator rides: grows linearlly (and also becomes pointless very early in the game)

Bux
    Elevator rides: Grows based on purchasing elevator upgrades (which have geometric price increases)
    Where's Bitizen: Doesn't really grow at all
    Store Inventory Complete: Grows linearly with number of stores
    Dream Job: +3 for each completed (Possible but difficult to take advantage of once a lot of stores, one could evict a person, spend one bux to get a new one, and if you have a lot of store varieties have a better than 50% chance to get the bonus. But you need a well developed tower for this to work.)

Costs of Floors: I'm pretty sure this is a geometric progression.

Result: Each floor requires more time/effort to build than the one before it

I suspect that at some point it gets damn hard to gain enough money to build. And completing a tower will just be a distant dream . . .

2. Jengajam

Jengajam Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Game Reviewer/Creative Lead
    Singapore
    Um... That wasn't part of my advice. That was a question I posted for the people on this thread because I didn't want to double-post.

It will probably take 2-3 hours to have your new food establishment rebuilt, which could be something better than a pub (I'm hoping, because I've deleted mine too). Sorry, I hope I didn't mess up your game.

3. supergm

supergm Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2011
    So you mean you it's necessary to spend much time on this game in order to have the most floors. How much time do you play this game each time?

4. Putosaure

Putosaure Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    This game is drug.
    Can't stop thinking about it during working hours.

Meh.

5. supergm

supergm Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2011
    I've just deleted it. Lol, it doesn't matter. Since you guys have given me the encourage and advice to play ths game, I think I'll go on with it.

6. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    There is an achievement for building a 100-story tower, which is also the highest achievement in terms of floors. But people were making the assumption that it's the cap. I don't believe anyone's actually hit it yet to confirm.

7. bprichard

Apr 11, 2011
    Shanghai
    #487 bprichard, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
    I have read that there are 80 kinds of stores and 20 kinds of residences, so 100 unique levels. Has anyone received a duplicate level yet? If not, I think it's pretty likely that 100 is more or less the cap. If it's not the cap, it seems that you at the very least run out of new things to build, which would be functionally the end. How many laundromats does one man need?

(One, in my estimation)

Edit: Hmmm, that doesn't make sense. You need a residence to store ratio of 3:5 to have three workers for each shop. What I've said above doesn't work, but I don't feel like deleting my mistakes.

8. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

This was discussed already, but this game IS achievable, like the We Rule games, with no money at this point, you just have to be patient.

I paid $5 for the Bux to support the dev. That got me 100. I converted 50 into coins and then I upgraded the elevator.

Throughout the day, after spending ZERO more dollars, nothing, I have:

Purchased another 100k coins

The next elevator to upgrade is the Ultra-Lift (125 bux)

I have 19 floors.

I currently have 7 bux left.

Outside of money, however, I *HAVE* spent a lot of time on the game. I haven't put it down for very much time at all. It's scary. But if I was to extrapolate that over a few days, I wouldn't have thrown too much time on it.

I don't know what to tell people that aren't sure on it. If you don't have much time through the day, it WILL be slow to start.

But if you do, or are willing to be patient, you can really have a kick-butt tower that's fun as can be. I REALLY need to work on my desire to constantly get back at the game. You will ALWAYS have someone waiting to go up in the elevator.

Also, as you progress with higher businesses, you will then also get larger stock amounts. It's going to require less work but yield MUCH more money, which will make the purchasing of additional floors easier.

The biggest thing is time. Right now, build times are 9ish hours. VIPs cut it down by 3. Now, all I need to do is keep an eye on and evict people that don't fit and try and fill dream jobs now :)

****What I want to know is if it's worth it to start trashing lower level buildings (the pub, etc.) and rebuilding? It doesn't cost any extra I don't think, right?

Thoughts?

9. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    #489 dbhjed, Jun 24, 2011
    Right but remember each shop will always sell items as long as they are in stock. The more commerce you have the more money you will make.

Trust me I've played this game twice over. Although you have to change strategies as the tower gets bigger. Money flow is really never an issues.

I was always building at least one floor a day. While I am sure that will go to one every two days after a while.

10. bprichard

Apr 11, 2011
    Shanghai
    #490 bprichard, Jun 24, 2011
    I can assure you that you don't understand math. You are correct that you will make a little more money each day when you shut down for the night, since you will sell more items while sleeping. However, that's not enough to compensate for geometrically increasing floor prices.

However, my whole argument rests on the assumption that prices do grow geometrically. I'll go ahead and check some prices. I was kind of saving for that shiny new elevator, but I'll pick up a couple more coins, so I can check out the next three floor prices.

Edit: Okay, some level prices:
    18: 48,600
    19: 54,150
    20: 60,000

Change from 18 -> 19: 5,550
    Change from 19 -> 20: 5,850

So we are looking at a greater than linear change. However, it's actually pretty small at this level. These things add up, though. I'll need some more data to figure out the pattern. Anyone want to help me out with prices for higher levels?

11. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    When you have all 3 items in stock you get a bonus so the ones that need to be restocked more often can pay in Bux with the bonus.

12. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    I wouldn't if I were you, I've demo'd quite a lot of floors hoping to get something better, but the construction time + loss of income isn't worth it. I personally didn't like the pub because its 1st item had low stock and required constant restocking (though it gives ppl something to do). I would rather evict people and get dream jobs etc.

Btw do I get residents when I'm away from the game?

13. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    #493 dbhjed, Jun 24, 2011
    I can assure you I do understand math and understand this game. But the cost of the new floors is off set by more businesses. The only loss is when you have to put in an apartment floor. Right now I am making around 1,000 coins. Remember the higher the floors to more businesses you can pull from, the high level of the business (inventory wise not floor wise) the more money you can make. Like right now I can make around 20,000 just from my bowling alley alone.

Also I am sure the prices only go up a little bit for each floor. I don't think they will jump from 100,000 to 150,000 in one floor. I believe they only go up 1% per floor.

14. bprichard

Apr 11, 2011
    Shanghai
    How are you defining how much money a store can make? Yes, better stores have a higher quantity of goods, but the price of goods remains 1, 2 and 3 coins. So making more money can come from one of two sources:
    1. Greater in stock time: This is possible; however, items with greater inventory also have greater restocking time. So the ratio there is what is important. I'll start compiling data on on that ratio and see how it comes out.
    2. More customers: I don't think this happens. I may be wrong though.

15. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Total inventory to the coins they sell out.

Bowling Alley

Level 1: 80 - 80 coins
    Level 2: 400 - 800 coins
    Level 3: 4,560 - 13,680 coins

Fully stocked it can make 14,560 by the time it sells out (my 20,000 was a bit off)

16. bprichard

Apr 11, 2011
    Shanghai
    #496 bprichard, Jun 24, 2011
    Right, those need to be compared to how long it takes to stock, though. Initial data indicates that it doesn't help (but I need a lot of data):

Laundromat Level 2: 20 minutes for 300 units
    Diner Level 2: 20 minutes for 300 units
    Furniture Level 2: 60 minutes for 900 units

The ratio is identical, buying 15 units per minute.

I need more data, but it appears to me that the store isn't making more money. It just requires less button pushing.

17. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    I don't normally think about restocking time when I play lol. I just restock when it comes up.

18. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Hey guys,
    Do consider taking some of this useful data and converting them into tips to post here.

19. dbhjed

dbhjed Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    On the money talk, I know it is different for the smaller tower BUT

I just cleared my money building, now 3 hours later I have 29,000 coins again. That is only going to go up when I have more businesses.

Just take a look at your sales per minute in the stat menu. Right now I am making between 90-130 a minute.

20. bprichard

Apr 11, 2011
    Shanghai
    You have to think about the restocking time, though. It's an important part of the equation.

Next question is what happens when you have less than 3 items stocked. Do you get proportionally fewer customers? Or do you get the same number of customers, but they just choose between the items you have? I can't collect that data. I'm not THAT anal.