Sketchy betas

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JCho133, Dec 18, 2013.

1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    So I applied for this beta and the Dev sent an email asking for my email, name, age, and asking if I'd respond with commentary/testimonials. Felt kinda sketchy so I haven't responded yet.

What do you guys think?

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Asking for age and name sounds unusual. Is it a known dev? That recent beta posted in Upcoming? I think the title was Gun Tank

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    That's fairly normal, they want to monitor responses within a target demographic (hence requesting age). Often developers want a name just for reference or to add your name to the credits (i.e. "tested by JCho133") there are times I've asked developers to just reference me as Undeadcow, so if you prefer to remain anonymous it's possible too. Specifically asking for testimonials seems tacky, but doesn't necessarily mean the beta is not legitimate (the developer might just insert a quote from JCho133 about how awesomethe game is in the description). For a while I decided I'd volunteer for any beta available and haven't run across many shady ones.

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Alright thanks guys. It's for a game called Pon