iphone only + universal app (premium price) discussion.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chickdigger802, Apr 20, 2011.

?

HD/universal. Yay or nay?

1. yay!

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. nay!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    I notice that World of goo and Sword and Sworcery is doing this.

iphone/ipod app for cheaper.

universal for a few $ more.

Thoughts?

I'm all for it. You want more, you pay more. It's also a lot better than having to require to buy normal and HD version of an app =/

And if you don't have an ipad, just get the cheaper version.

And quick question, if you turn a ipad app into universal, will it appear on ipad or iphone charts?

2. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Simply its really only.

If you have an Ipod and ipad get the universal version.

If you have just an Ipod get the regular version.

Dont really need a poll on it.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #3 backtothis, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
    It's a great plan in my opinion. However, there just aren't that many iPad only games that are in high demand on the iPod/iPhone market right now so we might not see too many instances for this excellent pricing tactic. If you're suggesting that this be applied to every game that has a universal version though, then I'm not really sure. I guess it could work out pretty well for both the developer and customers. In a way, it's a win-win model. But many times, the iPad version includes extra content or some kind of addition to the standard iPod version, and a HD version would be needed. Also, with this kind of model, customers from the iPod/iPhone market are getting some tasty cookies, but for the customers in the iPad AppStore, not so much. In a way, they'll be experiencing even higher inflated prices than a HD version does in comparison to the SD version currently. I mean, if you have both kind of devices, you might as well just pick which one you want to play the game on. When my iPad 2 comes in a week, I really don't see myself as wanting to play the exact same game on two different devices. So yeah, I think that this model would work best if it's only used in instances where iPad native games are being adapted to the iPod/iPhone market. So I guess, a better solution would be if developers released the SD and HD versions of a game at the same time. This, however, might delay release times and put more work on the table in one period of time for the developers.

@OP: By the way, it'll be on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone charts to answer your other question.

4. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    If you have an iPad, you'd want a HD edition.

5. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I too think this is a really good thing and I applaud the developers for doing it.

Now if Apple manage to implement some sort of cross device save syncing using Game Centre in iOS 5, that would solidify the deal and I think developers would really benefit in return.