Universal Pizza Vs. Skeletons - (by Riverman Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Is that what you're supposed to do with those? Well now, that does explain a lot of things.

Well, in that case this game is clearly underpriced. I suppose I'd better download the full version before you come to your senses.

2. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    *snickers* Lol.

Downloading the game right now!

3. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Slightly less rapturous praise here - I'm about halfway through the second world and I wouldn't say I've been stunned by any of the visuals. I do like them - it just doesn't get to me like Contre Jour does (if that's what you mean by 'Limbo-esque monochromatic poetry garbage' :p ). Seriously, though, I like them... I just could have, I dunno, used more of a... unifying theme? More of a little 1920s Italian cafe feel on the options menu, maybe, or a Mexican Day of the Dead vibe on the skeletons...

Still, that's nitpicking/personal taste to some extent, and the art still does a really good job of selling such a daft premise. It's solid, attractive stuff and definitely not weirdness just for the sake of it. The audio's pretty good, too - a couple of the synth noises are a little weedy, but the music's surprisingly catchy stuff and the FX do the job nicely.

And to be more enthusiastic - yeah, this plays really, really well. Unless you've got some pathological aversion to tilting your iThing you should definitely give the Lite version a try at least - mechanically, at least, it is much more of a serious game than I expected with some beautifully tuned controls that are great fun to mess around with, and definite skill required to do well. Not the hardest thing I've ever played (I mean, compared to League of Evil 2 it's a cakewalk :D) but it's certainly not a casual game.

Not perfect, but I'm impressed all the same. Looking forward to playing more - this ought to be on my iPod for a while. I hope it does well.

4. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Does this support iCloud saves?

5. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    I'm number one on the leaderboards. Probably not for long though

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Fair opinion :) To be honest, I don't hate the monochrome stuff at all, I just feel like we've been swamped in it recently and now it's gonna need to do something really outstanding to get my attention again. This game really stands out for me though, it's just so different compared to the usual affair. I'm also sensing a little bit of Aqua Teen Hunger Force in there, and not just because of the similarities to Meatwad. I wonder if the artist is a fan...

7. flightunlimited

flightunlimited Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    I don't understand the obsession with these stupid games. Why is this game good? It's so boring and so tedious. Why is it fun to roll over the same enemies over and over again?

8. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    How many levels have you played? There is lots of variety

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Hold on a moment... are you a developer? This kind of post could be hazardous to your reputation.

In fairness, you can think what you like about PvS, I'm just grateful it's not one of those boring flight sims!

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Beat me to it. No offense, but that from a developer really is pathetic.

11. flightunlimited

flightunlimited Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    #91 flightunlimited, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
    Yeah, I agree with you...I posted that when I had only played the first three levels. Now it's becoming more involved. I'm still struggling to find the appeal...I guess it's just not my type of game. I was expecting and hoping for a true platformer. The artwork is impressive however. I'm upset at myself for buying the game before I tried the free version. I'll give it another play tonight.

12. Vaceotyn

Vaceotyn Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    What's the deal with the audio in this game? At first I had no skeleton crushing sounds, but the BGM was playing fine (just like in Sanuku's video on page 5). Then I realized that they used two separate volumes for sound effects and BGM. Kinda weird. :confused:

13. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Hmm…I must be out of the monochrome clique because I didn't know we were getting swamped. What's all been in monochrome on iOS?

Have we not been somewhat swamped with surrealism?

Anyways, I'm downloading it now. I was writing impressions for some of the less hyped games.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Not iOS specifically, I span a variety of platforms ;)

I wouldn't really put the surrealism tag on a game anyway, most games by their very nature are surreal but you exercise enough suspension of disbelief to put yourself into a world where it becomes normal. All I see here is a pizza and some skeletons and the thought that pops into my head is "At least they're not pirates and zombies!". Super Mario 64 is surreal, but you could hardly put it next to PvS and state that because you're tired of one you must be tired of the other.

15. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Okay!

I'm not going to agree or disagree about the surrealism thing because safari is crashing way too much. iOS 5 needs an update bad. Every time I write a long post, it gets fn deleted at the last second.

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    No worries, I wasn't trying to start an argument anyway. Just getting my thoughts down on paper so to speak ;)

17. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Haha, no problem!

I'm pretty sure our perceptions of normality differs anyway.

18. MrGreed

MrGreed Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Wish there was a health meter

Other than that, great game!

Tilt controls and all!

19. AbsolutePhenom

AbsolutePhenom Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    This game really needs to tell you what your goals for the level are before you beat it. It should tell you right when you start the level. It's pretty silly it's not already like that. How are you suppose to know otherwise? Also some levels require you to beat a certain time and yet it doesn't show you the time when you're playing. Again that's silly. I'm already on chapter 4 after just playing it like 20 minutes. If there is only 10 chapters it seems like a really short game. Other then those things I'm enjoying it. Could use some multiplayer sumo action!

20. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Jacob, thanks for posting. I know you guys are proud of your tilt controls, but I have to tell you that tilt on any device doesn't work for many people, ESPECIALLY on the iPad. I hate it on most devices and it is a huge turn off.

I urge, beg and plead, please put in touch, and icade support. I want this game, I want it on sale I want to support you guys, but tilt only makes that frustrating.

It would mean the world if you can do this. And if you say you can, I'll buy it now and wait, just because the game IS awesome.

Please?