Galaxy on Fire 2 getting ready to shoot Warpgate out of the water?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by acidshaman, Apr 24, 2010.

1. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    #1 acidshaman, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
    http://toucharcade.com/2010/04/14/a-look-at-upcoming-galaxy-on-fire-2-for-iphone-and-ipad/

This game looks way better than Warpgate. The texturing is waay better.

The combat should be amazing as well, if they take anything from their first game.

THe other thing that bugs me in Warpgate is if you pass a ship you always just fly over it, i mean its outer space, why is everyone on the same single dimension? This looks way more realistic, with ships all around rather than on one 'gameboard'.

2. acidshaman

May 5, 2009
    No one has a comment?

Im going to say it will.

3. Luckithroe

Luckithroe Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Not to fan the flame but...

Every game is always soooo great until it comes out. Not to say galaxy on fire 2 won't be ok, but warpgate is amazing in it's own right, and I would bet you will more than likely 1.) still wait for someone to "TOFTT" before buying and 2.) (which I guarantee) you will have n number of complaints and trash to all about it within two days of purchacing it..

Enjoy what you have while you have it, why start a flamefest thread?

Ps not disrespecting you by the way , just see everyone always talking about how great games are before they come out and those are generally the same people who fall into the same two rules which I stated above.

My two cents..

4. acidshaman

May 5, 2009
    eh, I agree with what you said, but I was just wondering if anyone else thinks the same?

I mean from combat, to texturing, to environment, to the fact that Warpgate is played on a 'gameboard' type of environment.

I cant really say much more w/o cut+copy my OP.

I got Warpgate HD and regular Warpgate, but now I don't even feel like playing it because i see it being deleted when GoF 2 comes out

5. themendoz

themendoz Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Sure the game looks sweet, graphically it might have no problems surpassing Warpgate, but after the way the creators handled GoF1, I just can't imagine how they will be able to surpass Warpgate. I really hope I'm wrong because the gameplay on the first one is stellar and it was really close to being epic. I hope I'm wrong but unless they come up with some groundbreaking element, I think warpgate will take the prize.

6. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    Warpgate and Galaxy on Fire both take place in Space, ok. But the similarities end there.

WG was not intended to be a combat sim and the gameboard-GFX style Space travel
    in WG just suits the trading needs in a more exciting way than a calculation-chartboard.

I reluctantly realised that and did NOT buy WP.

For the GFX GOF2 will have a hard time surpassing WP, since it is merely 2.5D,
    while GOF is full 3D, so there is a lot more calculation going on in GOF Space,
    that WP can put into eye candy.

Time will tell.

So I agree with acidshaman for sure that GOF(2) rules.
    But I find the comparison a little bit odd :)

7. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Yeah, that's what I was coming here to say. They're both entirely different games...one is all about the flight combat and the other is mostly about space mining, siding with factions, trading, etc...and light on the combat which is very different. Can't really compare the 2 games and say one is going to be better. Its like saying Real Racing HD is going to blow Warpgate out of the water.

8. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. Well, almost. :p

9. mwhite67

mwhite67 Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    I'm starting to feel like warpgate is just an errand running simulation. Most of the time it just seems like I'm flying from one place to the other.I'm like an outer space UPS man It got old pretty quick for me. Personally I think GOF2 will be much more engaging. I already like GOF1 more than warpgate.

10. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

@mrwhite
    you'd be right. it is an errand running simulation, that's the whole point of the game! sure, i understand your dislkie of this kind of gameplay, but loads love it!

11. Karma32

Karma32 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Personally I think Madden 2010 will be much more engaging. I already like Madden 2009 more than warpgate.

Next time can we make topics like this that are about similar games?

12. dyscode

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    What a way out way to put your thoughts. I nearly fell from the chair laughing!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D just great!

13. zurie

zurie Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    I am going to agree with the original poster and disagree with you here. Its like you are trying to take the generalization way overboard... unlike Madden 2010 and Real Raching HD vs Warpgate, I think GOF2 and Warpgate ARE very similar...

lets see:
    you buy and sell ships. Check
    You buy and sell cargo. Check
    There is Space Combat. Check
    you fly in space. Check

and it goes on from there... I don't know what you don't see but GOF2 and Warpgate ARE the same game... except warpgate was done overtop and has no combat and GOF2 is done 3D and in my opinion takes it to a whole other level.

14. dyscode

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #14 dyscode, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
    If you go by the numbers, yes they are similar.
    But the gameplay mechanics are totally not.
    so I surely agree with you on this part but for me it´s somewhat contradictive to your statement that they are so much similar.

on the feature list, yes,
    technically, controversial at best. ('no' for me)

just 'hitting a button 3 times a minute' cannot be called combat, in any serious way.

The hardcore RPG gamers (D&D etc) may feel that way but to the arcade/sim
    gamers 'combat' means something completely different.
    And even if you take the WP combat mechanics as the are - Asteroids style - they
    totally disappear in comparison to Space Minor arcade mechanics, for example.
    And vice versa. For Space Minor I´d say it´s a horrible trading sim ;)
    But trading is not the point of Space Miner, is it?

As an Environment, yes.
    Technically, NO.

In GOF you actually fly IN space - as in 'XYZ axis of orientation' as in real 3D,
    while in WP you just fly on a 2D plane.
    So it´s effectively more like a seaship trading sim or landroute trading sim.

WP is anything but a FLIGHT sim.
    and that´s the DIFFERENCE that I think, outweighs their similarities and and therfore appeal to mostly different kinds gamers - or at least two different of gaming experiences in a space environment.

15. acidshaman

May 5, 2009
    IMO warpgate and gof are both 'epic' space games. Warpgate just niched itself,Gof 2 could easily add In an economy/trading element and that is the only thing seperating the two in my eyes.

And warpgate sure doesn't peddle itself as a trading sim or anything but a space game. GoF is a space game. It's more akin to crash bandikoot vs cromag rally in terms of game comparisons

And I know I didn't buy Warpgate thinking that it was a slow paced trading game. The combat is instanced as well which I felt was a bit jarring, but I'm not a big fan of instanced fights like Chaos Rings.

16. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    I agree.for me, warpgate didnt have anything to keep me interested. It was very nice looking but i didnt like the combat system and trading was a little boring. I personlly think GOF 2 will be much better for me becouse of the fully 3d movement and more intense combat. thats just me though

17. I was blown away by warpgate's polish and how everything worked and was a dream to look at. Looking at the screenshots, it might be a bit more actiony but it can't reach WG's polish and imense depth.

18. acidshaman

May 5, 2009
    this is funny, because to me Warpgate was missing a coat of polish, all of the ship textures are these really low-resolution grainy rez, weapon graphics are downright ugly.

GoF2 looks way more polished, as for depth I can't talk about it, it IS just a port of their original java game. Hopefully the will take some ideas from Warpgate.

19. deiden26

deiden26 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I think that it isn't a stretch to say these games are comparable. They have many of the same elements, but just different focusses. While warpgate focusses more on the trading SIM, GoF focusses more on combat (Which is part of it being in full 3d).They both share both of these gaming elements, just at different degrees. Add that to the common elements of upgradable ships and weaponry, explorable large scale Galaxies, and theoretically endless play, the games become at least similar enough to compair.

I have warpgate and the light version of Galaxy on Fire, so I think I have a pretty good grip on how they work.

also, IMO I feel that warpgate is a bit flawed in that the gameplay mechanic pretty much boils down to doing tedious work to get money to buy weapons for fights that you don't even control. I get that some people like the whole trading aspect of it, but I am learning more and more that this doesn't really cut it for me.

20. acidshaman

May 5, 2009
    :rolleyes: