Forcing a download of a free app!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Is it possible to publish a paid app that requires the buyer to download the complimentary free app in order to be able to use the paid app?

A double download to be able to use the paid app?

I know the reviews would reflect this back and forth with negative comments, but still an interesting idea? Possible?

2. monteboyd

monteboyd Well-Known Member

No it is not possible. It would contravene Apple's guidelines.

3. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Offer an incentive.

E.g.
    D/L the free app, go to the options->help->promo code. Enter said promo code in the paid app for super X upgrade. Promo code is generated using the device id or something so you can be sure someone d/l'ed the free app.

4. strawdog

strawdog Well-Known Member

One of the keys to selling is to make the process as simple as possible. Adding an additional level of complexity by requiring someone to download another app makes no sense as it will put people off.

If this other app is free then why wouldn't you just include the functions in the paid app.

Lastly I am pretty sue that Apple require paid apps to be fully working out of the box. I don't believe they would approve an app that only worked if you had another app already.

5. Quorlan

Quorlan Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    I'm really not sure why you'd want to do this. Apple now supports in-App microtransactions, even for Free Apps. So why not just offer your App for free and offer an upgrade to the full version in-App via a microtransaction? That would seem to have the effect you're looking for (i.e. downloads of your free App) while also being profitable via the price of the upgrade to the "full" App. Or am I missing something?

Q

6. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

I don't think you're missing anything, this discussion took place prior to Apple's announcement of last week :)