The Playstation 3 Thread! - everything ps3

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by soupbandit, Jun 22, 2010.

1. soupbandit

soupbandit Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    Havnt touched ps3 for a while because i got a gaming laptop and played some sc2. Finally played enough and just got psn plus. The instant game collection is amazing. At lvl7 hoping to hit lvl8 soon with trophies

2. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    358/2 Days isn't a playable game in this collection. :(

They are putting the video 'events' from it into the collection. Was excited when I first read the news over at Kotaku, but became kind of bummed when I read 358/2 wouldn't be redone with the PS2 assets. Really wouldn't take much effort at all... Essentially just KH and CoM in HD with scenes from 358/2.

3. Oops, forgot about that part. 358/2 Days will be in the form of HD cutscenes in some sort of theatre mode. Oh well, I never liked 358/2 Days that much besides the multiplayer aspect.

4. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I actually haven't played it yet. Didn't bother with either of the two DS games- only KH games I haven't played.

5. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Couldn't they just put KH 1 and 2 on it? Whoever is in charge of Kingdom Hearts games at Square has some serious mental problems.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I picked up a super-slim PS3 Black Friday bundle for Xmas for me and my boys, and in looking at the games available there's a lot of good exclusives. So I'm kind of excited but the fact that the PS3 can not have more than one chat headset hooked up at the same time (for 2+ people to play online together and chat online with others at same time) is really lame. My kids will be bummed about that. Still, I'm looking forward to playing Uncharted 1&2, Infamous 1&2, Little Big Planet 2 and 3D Dot Game Heroes and whatever else we end up picking up over time. The Uncharted & Infamous games came with the console. The other two I picked it up cheap. I really want to get the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD remake bundle. Probably will get that next.

7. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    I really looking forward Tales of Xillia, it got a near perfect score on Famitsu. It sad though that this gen has been really lackluster in the JRPG department compared to the previous gens. I know it had to do a lot with the shifts in tastes in America but still...

8. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    #1910 Jdragoon19, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    I got Far Cry 3 for Christmas! It's a really good game and all.. But, there's definitely something wrong with the graphics for me at least. The TV says that it's playing in 720p, but it looks like absolute crap. The textures are horrible. It looks like 360p.

9. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    It looks fine for me. Are you sure the TV is displaying in 720p? Maybe try checking your PS3 and TV settings.

It can also be played in 1080p (if you uncheck 720p from the PS3 display settings, leaving 1080p checked).

10. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Nice.

I reccomend Batman Arkham City. Amazing game.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That'll just force upscaling, either by the PS3 if the game supports it, or by the TV, which could be terrible or brilliant depending on the TV. I don't know what's wrong with his textures though, the game looks fantastic for me on PS3, and I'm also able to play it maxed out on PC which says a lot for the PS3 version considering that's the one I play most.

12. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Little bro (10) got a PS3 for Christmas. He got the bundle that included LEGO HP 5-7, LEGO Batman 2, and LBP Karting. He also got the Jak and Daxter Collection. Can anyone recommend some popular games that he'd enjoy that are rated for his age. My parents are very good about not buying rated-M titles for kids. He says all his games are boring besides J&D (rated-T). Also, if it's a rated-T game, the violence needs to be pretty toned down (not Arkham City or a realistic shooter, etc). Every single game I have on the XBOX is rated-M, so..

13. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I used to love jak and daxter on the PS2. Does he like any sports games? Like NBA or FIFA. Don't know many G or PG games.
    Edit: I'm currently playing NFS most wanted and am enjoying it. Maybe if not NFS, then Forza Horizon.

14. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Lego games are awesome lol
    Lego LOTR is the best :p

Any racing game or sports games, if he likes those, will all be fine. Madden, NBA, need for speed etc. They were my favorite at that age, and I still love Madden and NFS.

But yeah, there's not a huge selection compared to the T and M selection, which most of mine are, like you said. Nothing really comes to mind but there's a decent selection. You can go to Playstation's website and browse all game's and filter it by rating. And other sites do that as well.

15. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Yeah, I know right. I picked up 3 lego games 2 weeks ago and by far my favourite is Lego LOTR.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The LEGO games really need to be played in local co-op for the best experience, I own about ten of them but woudn't play any alone.

It's only now I realise just how many of my games involve hurting people, even the ones I consider really tame, such as Uncharted. How about the Rock Band/Guitar Hero games? If he starts now he'll be awesome by the time he reaches my age. Extreme sports would be pretty good too, regular sports bore me, but Skate 3, Pure and SSX are excellent. The normal LBP games are must-haves too, and ModNation Racers is basically a more difficult, superior version of LBP Karting. Looking at my shelf, other games I would recommend are Portal 2, Rayman Origins and Sonic Generations. Oh, and Prince of Persia, which involes sword fighting, but it's really stylized and cartoon-like, mostly against monsters.

17. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, I think he'll mostly be playing alone..maybe online every now and then. He's never liked sports games unfortunately.

18. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Yeah, it should be. When I insert the game, it says 720p HD in the top left hand corner of the screen, so it should be.

The textures just look.. not very crisp at all. I've been doing some researching on the Internet and seems like a couple people are having this problem as well. I have another (new) HDMI cable that I can use, maybe that would work?