868-Hack $5.99 -> $2.99

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by bhavukjain1, Aug 30, 2014.

1. bhavukjain1

bhavukjain1 Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2013

868-HACK

Michael Brough
    You are a computer hacker. You steal precious data while the world sleeps. Siphons are your lockpicks. Progs are your gu…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $7.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    You are a computer hacker. You steal precious data while the world sleeps. Siphons are your lockpicks. Progs are your guns. Connect to the sectors. Download the data. Escape, or be deleted alive. A cyberspace adventure from the creator of Zaga-33.
    Information
    Seller:Michael Brough
    Genre:Adventure, Strategy
    Release:Aug 30, 2013
    Updated:Dec 08, 2022
    Version:1.15
    Size:11.8 MB
    User Rating: (47)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I've had this on my wish list for a while, not to wait for a price drop, just wasn't really sure if I'd like it but it looked interesting.

I'll take this chance to grab it :)

3. bhavukjain1

Jun 14, 2013
    I'm in the same boat. Please leave your impressions here once you buy and play it.

4. spoosh

spoosh Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2013
    I've heard a lot of good stuff about this game too but I still haven't picked it up! It does look cool though so I'll probably grab it soon.

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #5 syntheticvoid, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    Wowzers. This game. OMG, you guys this game... OMG. =oP

It's an AWESOME Roguelike. Every single move matters. You're able to grab 2 data siphons in each stage, with each one allowing you to grab the items in the top, left, bottom and right boxes that are touching you (as well as the box you're in). Certain boxes have different 'power-ups', but also a number representing the amount of enemies that'll spawn if you 'siphon' the box.

Each of the power ups also cost a certain amount of... I guess you could call it currency. Every square without a power up has currency that can be 'siphoned' just like the power ups but don't spawn enemies.

There's quite a few power ups to unlock, and endless replay value. It's been one of my 'go- to' games since I got it a year ago. HIGHLY recommended.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This game is fantastic. If you love roguelikes, this is one you should add to your library.

I've had a couple friends hesitate on getting this coz they didnt like the visual style of the game, but they ended up playing this off my high recommendations, and now they love it.

"You never love a girl for her graphics, you love her for her gameplay."

7. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    One of the best roguelikes you'll ever play.. 3 bucks is a no brainer..

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Great Roguelike with buckets and buckets of techno-charm.

A bit puzzling, but not as brutal as Amber Halls.

Lots of fun, I play this one at least 6-10 times a week.

It's good for both short sessions and long plays as you go back to the menu every 8 levels (keeping a running score, if you make it that far) and it state-saves perfectly.

Highly recommended by me, if that counts for anything. :D

9. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    My god!! Don't buy it!!

...I bought it today and.. I can't stop playing it! It's awesome :eek:
    Unless you want to lose all your free time, don't buy it ;)

10. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestion :D

11. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I'm not sure how many posts this thread needs telling people to buy it but I'm going to estimate that it needs one more.

Buy it!

Seriously though, one of the best roguelikes I've ever played. I can understand the apprehension over the visuals but it's not just something you'll ignore, it actually works in my mind. Given that it's never been on sale before IIRC then it's an absolute necessity and I'd also recommend checking out Michael Brough's other iOS games - he has a great talent for uniqueness.

12. spoosh

spoosh Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Finally bought it and just finished a few playthroughs. It's pretty cool, I'm enjoying so far. Love the visuals too, they really add a lot to the experience. Get this game, you guys, it's worth it at $3!

13. Kubaton

Kubaton Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Louisiana, USA
    Bought, based on the positive comments!

14. armilla

armilla Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    All of you on the fence: grab this when it's on sale. Easily one of my favorite games on ios.

15. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    TA Review 5/5 http://toucharcade.com/2013/09/06/868-hack-review/
    "The game is incredibly fun, unique, endlessly-playable, brilliantly designed, and worth way more than what it’s asking for. Michael obviously poured godly amounts of time into designing this game; time that, in the end, pays off on the player's end. It’s that kind of gripping game experience that makes you forget all else exists at that moment. It’s nothing flashy, just great mechanics and an excellent approach to simplified design that harkens back to the best classic arcade games. Reminds me how much more important great game mechanics are, and how badly we need more of it on the platform."

148 Review 4/5 http://www.148apps.com/reviews/868hack-review/
    "it’s a game that is hard but is fair about it. Some of the questions regarding how to approach the challenge are answered through play, through learning the rules. It’s an intelligent design, and it’s what one should expect from Michael Brough: following his Twitter account and playing his games, he’s clearly a developer who puts a lot of thought into what he makes. There’s a lot of pixel art and roguelike games out there, but not a lot that have this sort of conscious design put in to them while still being great pick-up-and-play titles."

868-HACK

Michael Brough
    You are a computer hacker. You steal precious data while the world sleeps. Siphons are your lockpicks. Progs are your gu…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $7.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    You are a computer hacker. You steal precious data while the world sleeps. Siphons are your lockpicks. Progs are your guns. Connect to the sectors. Download the data. Escape, or be deleted alive. A cyberspace adventure from the creator of Zaga-33.
    Information
    Seller:Michael Brough
    Genre:Adventure, Strategy
    Release:Aug 30, 2013
    Updated:Dec 08, 2022
    Version:1.15
    Size:11.8 MB
    User Rating: (47)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

16. bhavukjain1

Jun 14, 2013
    Lol! So many people can't be wrong. So I bought it.
    [​IMG]

17. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Are the levels randomly generated?

18. bhavukjain1

Jun 14, 2013
    Wowowow!! Different and great!

19. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    If there was ever a game that had that one more go feeling to it, this is it. It's so easy to die and press play. Love it.

20. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #20 Talbs, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    I'll go against the grain if anything just to balance things out. I got it on this sale and kind of glad I didn't cave in at full price. Tried for half an hour which realistically given there's no great tutorial or plot development should actually be heaps of time. Just didn't grab me like all these reviews imply it should. That said I'll be honest, I don't think I fully understand what all the power up things you collect actually do. It just seems to me like although it gets all that "it's so different" praise, it's not very deep? Move about and try to get the power ups which either destroy enemies or give you score bonuses I guess. That's really about it? (Yes question mark because I simply must have missed something here).

Came back just to say, yes I definitely did miss a few things here! What changed everything for me? Actually watching a YouTube play through to explain it all. Big difference! The tutorial really doesn't tell you enough or maybe hint enough towards effective strategies and mechanics, which are the core reason why this game stands up!
    I suggest ppl watch this to see the dynamics in this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efj_m1RLM3A