SpikeDislike3 - Get it while it's Free

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Jayenkai, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Jayenkai

Jayenkai Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Erm... Bum!
    Bolton, England
    #1 Jayenkai, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Grab SpikeDislike3 Here

There's nothing like the bitter taste of absolute disappointment to motivate you into making your game free for a day.

SpikeDislike3 was launched about 3 months ago, with an awesome review over at PocketGamer, and much hoopla over the Twittersphere.
    The game went on to sell a phenomenal number of copies. To date, well over 140 have been sold! Not quite topped 150, yet, but wow, look at it go..

:\

And this is how it's been for weeks and weeks.
    Last month, SpikeDislike3 sales were actually trounced by sales of PuzzoBomb... and that's a game I haven't updated since 2011.

Sometimes I wonder if I made a bad game.
    Then I play it, and think.. Nah.. It's not a bad game.

I know that SpikeDislike3 is a good game, and I KNOW that once people get to try it, they'll love it. And it seems such a waste to leave it squandering in absolute obscurity.
    So, for the next 24 hours or so, the game is free.
    Take it, play it, love it, Dislike it.. Whatever..

And then tell everybody you know how much you love it.

"Everybody Likes SpikeDislike"
    Grab SpikeDislike3 Here

2. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Sad news this is a great game and woo I was one of the only 140 people to buy this.
    That's really quite disappointing to think only that many people in the whole App Store bought this?

3. iamseamonster

iamseamonster Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    I own almost all of your games, i dont think theres abad one in there. Everyone should download this and then buy some other Game a Week games. Way fun stuff!

4. rdmd

rdmd Well-Known Member

May 4, 2014
    Habakuk's husband
    with Habakuk
    to be honest looks boring man but good luck

5. Jamie84303

Jamie84303 Active Member

Oct 15, 2014
    Try it :)

6. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I'll give you it's not much to look at but this game is freakin hard. If you want a challenge, gives this a try.

7. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I have exactly the same problem as a writer. Well, my situation is even worst since even for free nobody reads me. But I feel your pain. And I cannot download it for free.

8. ronit

ronit Well-Known Member

May 12, 2011
    Blogger
    US
    Don't be sad if your game didn't sell well. There can be various reasons even if the game is awesome.

I suggest you to start giving promo codes to bloggers/vloggers who can promote your game on their sites or youtubes. That's the first step to get free marketing.

Instead of keeping the price of the app as $0.99 make it $1.99 or $2.99 and on regular basis, decrease the price to $0.99. This way, few sites that track the price drop of an app/game will pick your game and probably will get more people notice it.

I could go on with ways to promote a good quality app but I hope you get the idea.

I haven't bought the game myself neither I was aware of it but trust me once it's back to paid, I'll increase the sale number from 140 to 141.

PS: never get disappointed when an app you develop from the core of your heart doesn't get enough appreciation, this should motive you to develop more and more to get an idea of what people love. Cheers.

9. Jayenkai

Jan 17, 2011
    Erm... Bum!
    Bolton, England
    Indeed. In this world, the popular things are never obvious.
    Sometimes, a small little quirky thing you created in 10 minutes, ends up being spread all over the world, whilst the "amazing" thing you spent months on ends up as a dead duck.
    You never can be sure what will hit and what will miss.

Aaah, free marketing.
    Stick "SpikeDislike3" into google, and you'll see sites reviewing it, LetsPlay'ers playing it, and more.
    And .. importantly.. I didn't ask any of them to do it. I didn't send out links to the LP'ers, I didn't ask for reviews.
    They did it because they tried the game, and they loved the game.
    The game crashed and burned AFTER all that!!

I'd rather not make the 140 people that DO enjoy my games, have to spend more than the standard $0.99.

The game is currently free, and has been made free because I want people to play it, not because I want to turn a profit.
    Go and play it.
    It's currently free.

There isn't anything in the world that could help me "develop more and more".
    In fact, I've had to take this year off from my usual schedule of game dev, because last year completely shattered me.
    Hello. I'm Jayenkai, and normally I make AGameAWeek.

10. Jayenkai

Jan 17, 2011
    Erm... Bum!
    Bolton, England
    ...And we're done!

Thanks to all who joined in with the free-day, and I hope that those who picked it up, enjoy the game for what it is.