Updating Mac OS X software.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by patch732, Oct 29, 2012.

1. patch732

patch732 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2010
    U.S.
    Need some assistance in understanding what I need.

I just updated my 3Gs to ios6 and am pleased with the results as far as the phone is concernced. I connect my phone to my MacBook Pro and iTunes tells me I need to update to version 10.6.3 or later to access my phone through it. But to install the latest iTunes, it requires Mac OS X version 10.6.8 or later.

I purchased my MacBook Pro in 2009 and it's currently running Mac OS X version 10.5.8 and there are no available updates to download. I have no problem upgrading to a new operating system but I'm just not sure which one. I haven't kept up with the the OS software so I don't know the difference in Lion or Mountain Lion or Snow Leopard and whatever else there may be.

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Well, I'll suggest you download Mountain Lion just so you're up to date. It retains most features from previous OS X versions including Lion.

3. Yeah, I upgraded my ipad to ios6, then got the garbage about itunes not supporting it and having to upgrade itunes to the newest version. What crap, gave up, why do we have to use itunes??? Dang, can do everything over the cloud now including photos, games, etc... Only music is something we really need itunes to synch with. What garbage, I don't have a laptop at home anymore so this is very annoying, oh well.

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    tricky situation.. you should update more frequently in the future..

as for the current situation.. you could try to purchase and download lion/mountain lion on a friends computer who has access to the mac app store
    and then make a bootable install disk out of it.. (there are plenty of manuals on the net)

then make a clean install of the os and migrate your old data to it.. (make an backup before, of course)

if thats not possible it gets a bit more tricky and involved more work..

here is a description on the apple forum

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4265076?start=0&tstart=0

5. patch732

patch732 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2010
    U.S.
    Could I just update to Snow Leopard and then to Mountain Lion? I noticed that the most up to date version of Snow Leopard is 10.6.8. That was the minimum requirement for iTunes 7. I'll probably still update to Mountain Lion anyway just so I am "up to date" if I am able to.

To be honest I never updated my MacBook Pro because I was unaware of the price to upgrade its operating system. I was use to Windows being around $100-$200 to update (ex. Windows XP to Windows Vista). I would kind of read up on new features but never noticed the inexpensive prices to upgrade!