Universal War Duels - whac-a-mole-ish turn-based PvP tactical duel (by AdoreStudio)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by AdoreGames, Aug 23, 2017.

1. AdoreGames

AdoreGames Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2015
    UK
    Thanks for your input on Boonker Wars, but could you please decode what did you write? Sorry we don't speak Vietnamese:rolleyes:

2. AdoreGames

Aug 27, 2015
    UK
    Check out new map effects and animations!

Hey everyone, ;)

It's Friday and it means we're going to showcase a playable build of our title on reddit #FeedbackFriday thread! Don't miss it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/6ys5me/feedback_friday_254_new_beginnings/ Keep your eyes on BOONKER WARS if you wanna try the game out! :rolleyes:

We've finally fixed tank treads and polished some map elements. Have a look!
    [​IMG]

P.S. trenches are on their way!

3. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Looking good. I like the aerial drop especially.

The mechanic's a good call; I certainly think he has a place in the game. Another layer of strategy.

Nice work; keep it up.

4. AdoreGames

Aug 27, 2015
    UK
    #24 AdoreGames, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Here come the trenches on the map!

[​IMG]

5. AdoreGames

Aug 27, 2015
    UK
    Thanks for your input! :cool:

6. AdoreGames

Aug 27, 2015
    UK
    Gun turrets added to IFVs

You can activate them by first clicking on them and then they'll randomly choose a target hatch on the enemy's IFV.

You'll still have a option of 2 moves at a time. You can use both for turret shots, or use 1 for turret shot and 1 for grenade throw by your soldier.

[​IMG]

7. AdoreGames

Aug 27, 2015
    UK
    Official game title is here!

What do you think so far?

[​IMG]

8. AdoreGames

Aug 27, 2015
    UK
    We've been testing our key art lately on various platform including Twitter, Facebook and Reddit. Now it TA forums time.

[​IMG]

Which one is your favorite and why? Left of Right? Can you guess what the game is about looking at the image?

9. AdoreGames

Aug 27, 2015
    UK
    WIPWednesday revealing our current progress

This week we've been working on kicking our IFVs up a notch with X-ray locators to make combats more challenging and exciting! These locators reveal the position of your opponent's soldiers on your 1st move allowing you to make a targeted throw on your 2nd move.

See them in action:
    [​IMG]

Feedback we need:
    • - We still can't come up with a proper name for this kind of stuff. Do you like 'X-ray locator'?
    • - How do you like how it is drawn and its animations? Should we impove its appearence?

Follow us on Twitter to never miss a thing about our project! :D

10. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    To be honest I don’t think either image, although it’s nice art, conveys what the game is about. Surely it should try to depict 2 IFVs, in side by side combat. This is the meat of the game, no?

Also can’t say that I love the name War Duels; it’s fairly generic and non-descriptive. Did you consider “Fire in the Hole!”?
    It’s a bit more memorable; I just searched the store and came up with one hit for a game I’ve never heard of that hadn’t been updated for 2 years so I doubt there’d be a problem with using that. (Here’s where someone tells me it’s a classic, why don’t I know it? :D )

Don’t want to be negative, just want to help. :)

11. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    #31 MetaGonzo, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Also, with regards to the X-ray thing; why not do something named after Röntgen seeing how he discovered the things only 20 years or so before your games time frame.

“Deploy the Röntgen Device!”

Edit: Röntoscope? I don’t know now. Maybe this whole Röntgen idea is a bit nerdy.

12. AdoreGames

Aug 27, 2015
    UK

We're already creating another variant of the main menu image with 2 soldiers facing each other to emphasize that the game has PvP mode and there's a conflict between 2 fractions. Anyway, you're reading our thoughts! Really appreciate that.

As of the game title idea, :eek::eek::eek: why hadn't we thought of it earlier! This phrase actually 100% reflects the core gameplay - throwing a grenade into holes:D. 'War Duels' is also not used in the stores, so we're thinking to combine these two - War Duels: Fire in the Hole!

13. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    I’m glad you’re liking what you’re hearing.

But.... please consider the title. You need something snappy; convoluted titles seldom stick in the mind.

Honestly; if I was browsing through a list of game titles, in a gaming forum for example, and I saw something starting with War Duels:.... I’d probably just skip it and look at something else, maybe coming back to it later if I had nothing better to do. Is that what you want to inspire with the name?

I admit that War Duels will probably fit nicely under the icon but I’d take F.I.T.H! over that any day; at least it sticks in the mind.

Food for thought; feel free to ignore.

14. AdoreGames

Aug 27, 2015
    UK
    We like Rontgen device and will probably use this name in the tutorial pop-ups or reminders during the combat.

We understand you point, but having just Fire in the Hole will cause some troubles in means of SEO. See: Fire in the hole - 112.000.000 results (it'd be almost impossible to appear on the frist 2-3 pages of search engine result pages). War Duels - 585.000 (a bit easier it'd be)

'Fire in the hole' sounds appealing from the gamer's side, but we have to consider multiple factors when naming the game. It's really tough at times:)

15. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    I’m obviously not searching correctly!

Anyway; whatever gets the most exposure you must do. Of course I wish you well in that respect.

16. AdoreGames

Aug 27, 2015
    UK
    Which one do you like most of all?

Lately, we've been trying to design a succinct key art to better reflect game genre, setting & gameplay. After last week's votes for the images with 2 units, we've continued tweaking the ideas around this concept and here's what've come up with recently.

[​IMG]

17. AdoreGames

Aug 27, 2015
    UK
    #1 has won! Here's how we tweaked it

[​IMG]

As you can see, we've polished everything, added a flying grenade and added more emotions to the main characters of the image.

Feedback we need:

- Do you like the emotion of the soldiers? Don't you think emotions of the black soldier are a bit off (since there's an explosion behind him)?
    - Do you like the art style? Or it sucks, please return the previous version?

18. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    No; he’s ruthless. He doesn’t care about his possible demise; he focuses purely on the destruction of his enemy!

Good trailer too. It’s all coming together nicely, I’d say.

19. AdoreGames

Aug 27, 2015
    UK
    Thanks for your reply! Really appreciate that you keep checking our upcoming game thread out;)