How do I jumpstart game interest / downloads again?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by gambitph, Aug 21, 2013.

1. gambitph

gambitph Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    #1 gambitph, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    Hey guys,

I'm an indie game dev but since downloads were tough to get I decided to move on to other non-gaming projects.

I've got an arcade game called Window Warrior that previously got a thousand downloads a day that trickled down to about 5 a day now. Basically it's a quick unique arcade game where you tap flying wooden planks so that you board your windows to stop the monsters. It's simple and fun, at least for me.

iTunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/window-warrior/id542916164?mt=8

I was wondering if any of you guys have tips on how to bring back interest up for my game or any game. I'm not asking about shoving money to marketing, free-app-a-day and cross marketing schemes since I don't have any budget :(

Oh also, the game's free. So I can't do a sale on the game.

I don't know if updating the game with new stuff would simply do it.

2. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

#2 Razoric, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    Update the game with new content. Then issue a press release to all the major iOS gaming sites and hope a few of them pick up on it.

Also not sure if your game has this or not but there are a few good in-game video replay solutions you can use. The one I'm using for my next game is Kamcord (http://kamcord.com/). No idea if it works in Corona but it's worth a shot. It may generate some nice viral marketing for you.

Bottom line: Give people something new to talk about with your game. New content and features would go a long way towards that. Or make a new game with a similar theme.

3. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Sorry for jumping into this thread but Kamcord looks interesting, however can anyone confirm if it works with Corona SDK?

Cheers,

4. neilw711

neilw711 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    App Developer
    Virginia, USA
    Try Fraps. It works great with Corona SDK!

http://fraps.com/

It only works for Windows though

5. Jungle Friend Studios

Aug 19, 2013
    CEO
    USA/Philippines
    You could think of features to make it more dynamic and create a new theme with the improved gameplay. Check out all the e-mail and feedback you've received and use that to improve your game.

6. rtru

rtru New Member

Mar 8, 2013
    Finland
  7. Maryna

Maryna Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    PR&Marketing
    San Francisco
    First, update your game. Create new screenshots w/captions, try new keywords, localize game's description in the language of the country you see the most downloads from. You can also send out the game's press release, try to get reviews/previews...
    Try PRninja app, it's a free iPad app for indie game devs, and it is full of marketing/PR advice on how to launch/relaunch games.