Computer won't recognize my iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by SoCal_Sponger, Sep 3, 2009.

1. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    #1 SoCal_Sponger, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    My computer, nor iTunes, won't recognize my iPod Touch 2g (3.0). This has been happening for about 2 days or so. My touch is not jailbroken. The USB connection works, I use it for plugging my touch into the wall. My touch can recharge on the wall outlet with the same USB I use for my computer. I've also tested my brothers USB connection, that wont work either. I've tested all 3 working USB ports on my Mac, yet nothing at all will recognize my touch being plugged in. It won't recharge on the computer and it won't open up iTunes.

So as of I know, all my USB slots on my computer work, and my USB works because I use the same one to recharge my touch on my wall outlet. I've had this happen only a few times in the past, and I simply unplugged and replugged it then my computer detected my touch. So whats going on with it now?

2. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    #2 BATTLE BORN, Sep 3, 2009
    I know it's not much help, but I once came upon an ipod touch that wouldn't turn on, didn't seem to charge, and wouldn't connect to the computer (if I remember correctly). I thought it was a lost cause and let it sit around for a while til it eventually died completely. then some time later I plugged it into a computer and alas, it came back to life and has worked fine ever since.

someone else may be able to help you with a better solution though

3. SoCal_Sponger

Feb 28, 2009
    my as well try that right now while I wait for replies, its just about to die anyways.

4. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    has the thought "USB ports burning out" ever crossed your mind?

5. SoCal_Sponger

Feb 28, 2009
    #5 SoCal_Sponger, Sep 3, 2009
    nope, its not my USB ports. All port on my computer work (I tested my mouse out on all of them). The USB itself works too, its the same one I use to charge my touch in my wall outlet. Im going to try to plug it into my old mac laptop, if it detects it there, then it must be my computer. Apple just repaired it Tuesday too, so theres no one else to blaim really

6. SoCal_Sponger

Feb 28, 2009
    yup my old laptop detects my touch, so it must be the computer Im using. I just dont know why it wont detect it, all the USB ports work. Is there anything I can do on the computer with iTunes to manually search for my touch (Im using an iMac if it makes a difference)?

7. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    not sure. i use my PC for my iphone, so im not sure about macs :(

ill get to it as soon as mine gets fixed

8. SoCal_Sponger

Feb 28, 2009
    fixed it with a troubleshooting step for "new" iPods, but it still worked!

1. How to change iTunes to recognize the new iPod touch
    Some New iPod users may meet the situation that your iTunes can not detect your new iPod nano, iPod touch, or iPod Classic. It should recognize it immediately. If it doesn't, download the latest version of iTunes. The problem will be solved:
    1) Re-launch iTunes, with and without your iPod plugged in.
    2) With iTunes open, reset your iPod Touch
    (here:http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305743 ) Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds until the Apple logo appears.
    3) Restart your computer leaving your iPod touch plugged in
    Note: If you uninstall iTunes from a computer, it will be uninstalled for all the users. But it will show up again for all users once you re-install it again. Before uninstalling each user should backup his/her playlists so they can bring them back when the re-install is completed.No music for any of the users will be removed by iTunes. It will remain intact where it is saved.