Sentinel 2 Strategy Guide

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Menneisyys, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Probably the best Tower Defense game out there is Sentinel by Origin8, which is offered for $1 only and is an excellent buy. (See my Strategy Guide HERE.)

The sequel to Sentinel is considerably better than the first version. Most importantly, it has four always-available, additional weapons freely available (depending on your "energy" level, which depends on how many still not destroyed gates you have and whether you’ve bought new "Energy" droids):

[​IMG]

There is a new tower, Booster Turret, (greatly) helping to extend the range of any nearby towers, particularly when maxed out.

[​IMG]

There is a brand new, flying enemy, Arthropod Parasite, which is a tough guy: against it, you can mostly only use high-damage weapons like beams and snipers – or the Orbital Laser:

[​IMG]

There is also a welcome addition to the game: upgrading a tower to the max offers a big leap in usefulness. For example, the otherwise slow Sniper becomes two times faster; Lasers and Bombs will be able to attack three enemies at the same time etc. The following screenshots show some of these upgrades:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a nice, highly recommended mini-review HERE, in the dedicated Touch Arcade thread. (Note that it states "New ones have been introduced that can teleport from one location", which isn’t entirely true – Two-Headed Mutants already existed in the first part.)

A mini Strategy Guide

Let me show you how I got to round 100 on the first map in Easy mode. Note that I’ve excessively used the Orbital Laser to take out Arthropod Parasites and Warriors – the two worst kinds of enemies. Arthropod Parasites, in general, come in the 15th and the 27th round (after a Warrior). This, unfortunately, means if you use Orbital Lasers to take out them in the 27th round, you won’t be able to use this weapon against Warriors in the 30th one – the energy just won’t fill up in this short time to enable Orbital Laser again. (Of course, in every 15 + n*30 rounds, you can safely use Orbital Laser against Arthropod Parasites – it’ll have plenty of time recharging.) That is, you’ll be, sooner or later, overrun by either of the Arthropod Parasites or Warriors.

I’ve started the usual way: a Bomb behind the first gate. (In the following screenshot, it has already been upgraded to Level 3). After that, I waited a bit and slowly (in order to enable my money to gather) upgraded my weapons. I always used Orbital Lasers to take out Arthropod Parasites; to take out Warriors at this early stage (the first three waves at round 30, 60 and 90), some Beams were sufficient. (In turn 30, for example, a simple Beam at level 1, next to a booster, next to the gate, was sufficient.)

Even at round 98 I had no problems fending off the enemy waves with a pretty minimalistic approach:

[​IMG]

(Note the almost full lack of energy – that’s because I used Orbital Laser to quickly kill Arthropod Parasites in the previous round.)
    Around round 117, I’ve deployed five, fully upgraded new laser towers (with a fully upgraded range booster in between) and, in the entrance, several Bombs. (Note that Bombs aren’t as needed as in the previous Sentinel as, now, fully maximized Beams attack three opponents at a time, which means they’re way more efficient against Arachnids. This is why, later on, I’ve sold all Bombs and gone the fully upgraded Beam route, particularly because their additional anti-air capabilities.) As you can see, not even these towers were able to stop Arthropod Parasites; this is why I had to, finally, turn to Orbital Lasers. (Warriors at round 120 could easily be killed with these towers, without using any of the new, additional weapons.)

[​IMG]

After this, I haven’t purchased anything until round 143, when I’ve fully upgraded my Bombs in the entrance:

[​IMG]

During round 147, seeing the currently available (eight) beams won’t suffice, I’ve quickly deployed another eight Beam towers to kill Arthropod Parasites:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After this, I haven’t done much until round 165, when I put some new Beams next to the entrance:

[​IMG]

It was only in the 211th round that I’ve continued purchasing new Beams. It’ s there that I’ve sold all my Bombs and Lasers to free up space for the new Beams:

[​IMG]

As you can see, I had no energy at all because I used Orbital Laser in the previous round, agains Warriors.

After some rounds, I’ve deployed some towers on the ridge on the lower left:

[​IMG]

Finally, in round 225, I’ve finished deploying Beam towers (along with Boost towes in between), all maximized.

[​IMG]

The following screenshot shows the remaining Arthropod Parasites, after killing most of them with Orbital Laser:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the remaining few already had little health while still far away from my first gate.

In round 267, I’ve killed most of the Arthropod Parasites with Orbital Laser (hence the low energy level); the ones remaining have just reached the first gate (but haven’t managed to break through it):

[​IMG]

In round 270 (Warriors attacking), having used the weapon in round 267, I still had no sufficient energy to power Orbital Lasers (not even slowing down; the first two weapons are almost useless against powerful opponents like Warriors); therefore, I could only rely on the Beams already present on the map. As you can see, some of the Warriors still had a great deal of health when approaching the gate:

[​IMG]

And yes, they did reach the gate:

[​IMG]

…and break it:

[​IMG]

In round 297, I’ve pretty quickly realized Arthropod Parasites just can’t be killed without using Orbital Laser. Just take a look at the following screenshot: while the Arthropod Parasites in the front have already walked for quite a long time, most of them are almost entirely healthy. That is, I couldn’t refrain from using Orbital Laser to stop them; I was pretty sure they would, otherwise, have broken through the second gate.
    [​IMG]

The rest (few) Arthropod Parasites were, then, easily killed by Beams:

[​IMG]

In round 300, I couldn’t kill all Warriors and, as you can see, my energy was still insufficient to use Orbital Laser. Finally, they have broken through:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mission mode

There’s another mode – missions. They are pretty hard – you will definitely want to practice in Campaign mode first.

The first mission is easy to do even if you’re a newcomer to Sentinel 2 (but already know the towers from Sentinel 1). The second is much-much harder – I needed to re-try at least 30 times to get through it. To be able to successfully finish it, you’ll need to wait until both first gates are destroyed. Do NOT try to attack the Parasites when they’re in front of the two gates – it won’t work as, then, some of them will still not be there. Just wait until the first of them reaches the upper, horizontal path and start moving left, already in one line. Then activate Orbital Laser and quickly move over them all. This, in some tries, will result in killing them.

If at least one of them remain, don’t wait until it reaches the final gate – you’ll be only able to purchase one Beam and won’t be able to max it. Without maxing, you won’t have any chance of even one parasite.

2. Origin8

Origin8 Well-Known Member

Wow:eek:

A very thorough and excellent guide to map 1. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the rest of the game ;)

3. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I'll try it. My record on map 1 on easy was wave 171 with 2972413 points.

4. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    thanks, look forward for the strategy of other maps

5. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    OK, I may publish a follow-up some day.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

This is awesome and totally getting linked when I finish my Sentinel 2 write up for the front page.

7. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Wow! Thanks :)

8. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    You're first guide was great, and this is even better! Next I challenge you to do a guide for something other than a TD game. ;)

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

There are games for the iPhone that aren't TD? :p

10. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Well, I've long been planning a Uniwar Strategy Guide (have even published a solution to one of the missions at http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=207077&postcount=487 , full of explanations and pictures). Too bad there is no news surrounding the game - it may have been totally neglected. I may do the same to the new turn-based strategy game released by the 1112 folks if I find it playable / enjoyable.

11. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    BTW, anybody liking my strategy guide may also like my Web Browser Roundup at http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=314195 ;)

Note that there're several UPDATE posts in the thread, updating the info in the first post (which I haven't changed after publishing it). I'll link to these updates in the first post.

12. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Why not for Mecho Wars when the new update comes out?

13. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Dunno yet - I'll look at it too. My time, however, is finite - I'm not sure I'll have the time to publish a Strategy Guide for it.

14. X-Frame

X-Frame Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Nice! I'm trying to beat all the Assault mission's on all the difficulties before I start having fun with Endless.

Right now I'm stuck trying to find a good starting strategy for Breakthrough on Medium. I'm having trouble using as minimal towers as possible but still being able to cover both gates. Any help/tips?

15. pipermac

pipermac Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Not Bad...But I have to admit that on the first map on easy is Way too Easy...It doesn't take much strategy all.

Seeing some strategy for the other maps and other levels will be much more interesting.

16. X-Frame

Jun 29, 2009
    So I decided to try out Endurance - Easy today on Arrival taking what I saw the Menneisyys do in his OP. It was all extremely easy, especially once I got my first fully upgraded Laser Tower early on. After that I just cruised saving money and then once I got into the high 80's I started putting down more fully-graded Laser Towers and then eventually I filled the screen like Menneisyys did.

I did manage to get past Level 300 though. I used the Orbital Strike on the Level 297 Parasites and then once the Warriors came I used the Attach Drones and then once those were exhausted I quickly used the rockets again just depleting the Sentinel weapons and using everything I got. Managed to beat Level 300 without losing half of the final gate's health. I was impressed.

It was a cake walk until Level 330. Before that was just the Parasites again and I used the Orbital Strike laser to dispatch them without much effort. However, nothing could stop the Warriors from overpowering me.

[​IMG]

I started snapping screenshots here because I knew it was the end of my journey. :(

[​IMG]

Then the final nail ..

[​IMG]

Overall it was interesting. I checked the Leaderboards and saw that there's someone with over 7,000,000 points. Is there a way to check who has the highest level? I seriously can't see anyone going much farther than me. There's just no more space and nothing else to upgrade.

17. X-Frame

Jun 29, 2009
    Has anyone gotten past 330 yet?

18. Sceneshifter

Sceneshifter Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Any tips on beating map 4 in campaign?

19. pipermac

pipermac Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Well I have officially completed all missions and all maps on all levels!

WooHoo!

The biggest advice I can give for all maps and levels is get a BEAM tower out at full upgrade as quickly as you can, once you get that it is smooth sailing from there!

20. X-Frame

Jun 29, 2009
    Yeah, it really is this easy. A fully-upgraded laser tower is crazy. Put that next to a wall and maybe a fully-upgraded bomb and you can cruise for a long time.

I haven't beaten any of the Psycho difficulties yet because I can't seem to get a strategy to get that fully-upgraded laser tower out quick enough.