iPad Eliminate [FREE Online FPS] Pulled from App Store, Servers Shutting Down 5/25 R.I.P.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mjmoco, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I still remember being at university watching the announcement trailers on youtube, wow.

A shame to see it go but it's had a good run, just a shame it's going because the devs are fecked basically.

2. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    #22362 The Bat Outta Hell, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
    Was ranked 3rd in the world at one point, but in the end ngmoco totally butchered this, along with the rest of their games.

Nevertheless there were a lot of good times the first few months this game came out. Lots of drama, clans, and a whole community was formed around this game, and every section of TA was dominated by Eliminate posts. Too bad ngmoco decided to bring out so many "balance" changes that they broke their own game.

RIP my $10 worth of unused power cells.

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    God, id love to have that back rather than 1000 of upcoming games together.

4. Pvphantasy

Pvphantasy Well-Known Member

sum1 should make/host private elim servers

.......and make it vaps only

5. Pvphantasy

Pvphantasy Well-Known Member

#22365 Pvphantasy, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
    on 2nd thought.. why not just make our own quake3* mod that plays similar to eliminate + import the maps?
    . . . .
    .. .. .. ..
    ... ... ... ...

click_n.melt_ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WFq6BrUBPw

6. replicanttheory

replicanttheory Active Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Any reason this game is not available anymore?

7. Omnias

Omnias Active Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Texas
    Ngmoco. Nuff said.

8. bear-man

bear-man Active Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Is there a workaround or something to get this now? Let me know.

9. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    lol. For what reason?

10. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    First of all, sorry for necroing old game threads, but I'm having a little nostalgia trip.

Anyway, Eliminate pro is sometimes still mentioned in some FPS threads when controls are being discussed as having one of the best, if not the best control schemes in a FPS on a touch device, and rightfully so. This post is for people who haven't played Eliminate, but want to at least have some knowledge when "Eliminate pro controls" are mentioned in other game threads.

I ripped this video from the Eliminate pro install files, because I couldn't find it on youtube and I didn't want it to be lost forever.

Some of the controls aren't demonstrated in the video, so I would just like to describe those as well.

Tap the crosshair to zoom (scope). Tap again to unzoom.
    Double tap the reload button to switch to the secondary weapon.
    Shake the phone to loot when over a body. This might seem like an odd mechanic, but it was pretty fantastic. You weren't required to loot credits from other players, it was completely optional. You could get a ton of credits from looting, but it was also very, very risky. Before looting you had to make sure nobody else was around you and while shaking the phone all you could do is hope that you wouldn't be dead by the time you stop looting. *Shake* *Quick look* *Shake* *Quick look* *Shake* *Quick look*... This mechanic added a lot of tension to the game, if you decided to make use of it.

As you can see the GUI was very minimal, when idle, it only displayed the crosshair, the reload icon and the directional pad (and even the last one could be hidden in options). But even with that minimal GUI you could walk/look/jump/loot/zoom/reload/switch weapon/burst fire/repeat fire/pause etc.

Information like ammo/health/kills/power-up cooldowns was only displayed when it actually mattered.

GUI comparison:

Idle:
    [​IMG]

In combat:
    [​IMG]

I know that you can't really experience the controls just from this post, because you would have to try to play the game yourself. I just think that we can all agree that Eliminate's controls were way ahead of its time.

11. jForsythe

jForsythe Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Only just found out about this game by the looks of it i really missed out on something here.
    Will this get a rerelease or a sequel at any point in near future.?