Trailer for Boost 2

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jlanis86, Jun 14, 2011.

1. jlanis86

jlanis86 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    #1 jlanis86, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
    I would like to put together a quality trailer video for Boost 2. I thought I could do it myself, but so far my attempts have been...underwhelming. ;)

So here I am. I'm just putting the word out there to see if anyone has experience with this sort of thing, or if you know of anybody with some experience who might be interested in helping me. I would like to do this with a real camera instead of using a simulator capture.

2. syntheticone

syntheticone New Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Hi jlanis86,

My suggestion would be to use the simulator. You will get 1000% cleaner, crisper video to show off your game.

That is provided the simulator is fast enough to run your game...but that should be the case.

If you record with a camera your video will be nowhere near as good quality as the simulator can give you. You could always crop the video and place it into an iPad or iPhone 'border' so it looks like it's running on the phone, a lot of people do this too.

3. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Honestly, using a simulator (done right) looks so much better and more professional than a camera.

And you need some good music as well!

4. jlanis86

Oct 9, 2009
    #4 jlanis86, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
    I agree, but this game relies heavily on the accelerometer and you can't capture the device tilt with the simulator. I know I can use something like iSimulate to record the accelerometer movement on the simulator, but from a viewer's perspective, it would be much nicer to see the actual device tilt and react to the gameplay. That's why a video capture would be my first choice. If you know of anyone who has done video work before, send me a PM. Thanks!

5. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    Maybe this is an overkill, but an other option might be to record on the simulator, then render the recording onto a 3D iPhone model in the modeling app of your choice and animate the device's rotation.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If you want someone to capture some really nice, high quality video of the game in action you could ask Sanuku here on the forum. He's been posting a ton of great videos in various game threads free of charge. Example: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1778095&postcount=68

Obviously it won't capture the tilt because it's a direct feed, but it's a good place to start if you then do something like DrummerB's idea.

7. jlanis86

Oct 9, 2009
    Interesting. How does he get a direct feed?

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
  9. JTown

JTown Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Independent GameDev
    Dallas, TX
    Looks like he uses a capture card. I was thinking that'd be the best way to do it -- that way, one device (either iDevice or PC) is only running the game and another device (PC) is recording. Quality of capture card would dictate video quality. It will probably be one of my first investments if FishMoto makes me decent money. :)

edit: