★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Gameloft
  • Genre: Adventure
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 155.5 MB
  • Version: 1.0.7
  • Price: $4.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.3 (3)
App description: IGNs Action Game of the Year is now available for your iPad!
The premier sci-fi FPS on iPad takes full advantage of the devices capabilities for optimal fluidity and staggering graphics, creating the most impressive gaming experience to date.

With Earth no longer able to sustain life, huge artificial satellites called near-orbitals were constructed for people to live on. To protect themselves, the near-orbitals banded together to form N.O.V.A., the Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance. Now, a strange threat has emerged from the darkness of space. A Marine ship, reported missing just a week ago, has suddenly reappeared and is headed directly for the near-orbitals, ignoring all communications. Against his will, retired Marine hero Kal Wardin is forcefully returned to active duty to prevent mankind's annihilation.

Get ready for unparalleled action on the iPad!

iPAD OPTIMIZED CONTROLS
- Curve your grenades trajectory with the new 2-finger-based throwing move
- Perform multiple surgical kills at once with multi-target acquisition
- More intuitive than ever, thanks to numerous multi-touch controls on-screen

EPIC SINGLE-PLAYER CAMPAIGN
- 13 insane levels
- 5 environments, from the real to the fantastic: Jungle, snow mountains, spaceship, bunker, and an alien city
- 6 weapons: Assault rifle, shotgun, sniper rifle, handgun, rocket launcher and plasma gun plus grenades & machine gun turrets on certain levels

FRANTIC MULTIPLAYER MODE
- 1-4 player Deathmatch locally or online on 5 different maps
- Play against your friends or the entire world through Gameloft LIVE!
- Worldwide leaderboards in the game & on the official website, www.near-orbit-vanguard-alliance.com

A TECHNOLOGICAL LEAP
- Full 3D rendered environments enhanced by highly detailed graphics
- 3 basic control schemes, plus a fully customizable interface
- An intense drama enhanced by cinematics and character voices

Join the fight for mankind's survival against the aggressive aliens known as Judgers in this immersive space opera.

------------------------------------------
N.O.V.A., the Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance, wants you to support the fight!
Enlist on Twitter: @NOVA_fps
Visit www.near-orbit-vanguard-alliance.com for more information.
Also available from Gameloft on the iPad: Asphalt 5, Real Soccer 2010, Modern Combat: Sandstorm, NFL 2010, Dungeon Hunter and Let's Golf!

Certain apps allow you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third party advertisements that may redirect you to a third party site.
04-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Now $6.99

04-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Omfg.... Of course it goes on sale the day after I buy it ><... I'm so lucky
04-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Woot!

I have been waiting for this! Thank you Gameloft, I love you...
04-23-2010, 03:57 PM
I'm so damn tempted by this! but I know I'll get hooked and play for days, when I have iPhone games of my own to develop.

Think I'll buy it now and try not to play it till I get some work done :P

Developer of Brain App. The ultimate brain training game for iPad, iPhone, Mac, PC, and Windows Phone. Try my new iOS Math/Puzzle game Blockmatix.
04-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Definitely getting this tonight! There were a few whiner reviewers posting about the controls not being so good, but then I saw others playing it (including a young gal) who looked like they were handling the game with ease. I played a demo of the iphone version in 2X and that was super easy to control. People have to get use to not using a control pad before they are competent enough to review an iPad game.
04-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCat View Post
Definitely getting this tonight! There were a few whiner reviewers posting about the controls not being so good, but then I saw others playing it (including a young gal) who looked like they were handling the game with ease. I played a demo of the iphone version in 2X and that was super easy to control. People have to get use to not using a control pad before they are competent enough to review an iPad game.

You should play it first before you comment on people "whining" about it. Even most review sites have stated issuses with the iPad version...even Touchgen jut ran an iPhone vs iPad Nova article and dropped the score of the iPad version due to the control problems. And i have to agree with most of them, controlling Nova on the iPhone was a much better experience...for me buying Nova HD was a mistake.

I think what I hated most about it was they made the grenade throwing with 2 finger swipes. Sounds good on paper, until you accidentally throw your precious grenades because the left thumb doesn't register or touch the control stick on the left and registers it as an extra finger outside the stick which you're looking around with the right stick and you lose a lot of grenades you really need...this actually happened to me quit a bit and that after a couple of hours of playing like that I just stopped playing it. They should have had an option to disable that, and an option for dynamic stick placement because for some reason, sometimes I just don't seem to hit the move stick.

I have to agree with a lot of sites, Gameloft needs to fix the controls on the iPad...but knowing Gameloft, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't fix it, they tend not to fix a lot of problems reported with their games.

Last edited by jeffyg3; 04-23-2010 at 04:26 PM.
04-24-2010, 10:47 PM
It's pretty good

I don't get the problem. I took the plunge and got this game even though I have it for my iPhone and it plays great. I did have to rearrange the controls a little but after that, no problems. And it's beautiful on the iPad's large screen.
04-25-2010, 12:28 AM
I too grabbed it today and I'm enjoying it much more than I did on the 'touch'. Playing on a large screen is like night and day. I can see how sometimes, an inaccurate read of the two-finger swipe can hinder a grenade launch - it happens on occasion, but overall, after 10 minutes of play, I was in total control with no frustration.
04-25-2010, 12:36 AM
The controls on the iPad version of nova really suck.
I can't get over that cruddy grenade swipe BS either
But it is easier to snipe people online.

I wonder if iPad & iPod Touch people play together online or they separate it. iPod Touch users are ay a big disadvantage if they ply with us