Coldfire Keep: First-Person RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by geppetto, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Old-school RPGs like "Dungeon Master" are:

1. Awesome, I can't get enough of them!

167 vote(s)
    61.6%
  2. Alright, I can take them or leave them.

63 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. Dead, modern RPGs are far better.

37 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. Who cares; all RPGs suck.

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. geppetto

geppetto Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    Maybe I can change your mind and convert you to the traditional stuff :)

2. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Heh. Also, I'd like to add, the controls look kinda hard to use. They're to... Well stuck together and small from the looks of it.

3. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I like the look of the screenshots and would love to see more of the creatures.Will the items and equipment also be visible in the dungeons? Thanks for the update.

4. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    They work fine on screen - even for my massive hands :)

You can also turn off the on-screen controls completely and just use touch controls.

5. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    The majority of the creature models are still being made. I'll make sure there's more of the creatures/NPCs in the next round of screens/video.

Also - yes, items are found around the dungeon and can be dropped etc. If that's what you meant?

6. Captive

Nov 28, 2011
    Yes thats what i meant,using items as markers was very useful in the dungeons.Definately looking forward to the video though.

7. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    That's definitely possible. I've actually spent a little time working on a system that allows you to "draw" on the walls, but it gets in the way of the movement controls and probably won't make it into the final game. We shall see though.

8. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Crescent Moon will be publishing this one! Really excited - awesome game.

9. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    Wow, I am totally baffled how this announcement brought the topc to a stop. I am sure this will add to the games quality and I really really would like to see some monsters.

10. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    Probably just my fault for not keeping the thread a little more updated - it wasn't really in motion to begin with :)

Not a problem though - I'm still working away at it and should have more updates and information in the not-to-distant.

The game is getting there... slowly, slowly.

11. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    it even has combat now! :)

12. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    Having combat controls definitely helps. Running into enemies previously and having to try to negotiate with them by yelling at the screen was not ideal gameplay. Although, if we hooked into the microphone, that might be an interesting idea for a future game... :)

13. LazyGamer

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    *lol* That is true!

Anyway, I am following Coldfire, Shadowkeeper, The Quest and Grimrock still hoping for some more Dungeon Master love on iOS, but they seem to be (in that order) crawling, crawling, on life support and dead :(

I fully understand that good games take their time and I know there are rather hobbyists behind them than full fledged game companies, but it is a little frustrating anyway.

14. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    It can definitely be slow going at times, but I can at least assure you that Coldfire Keep is *definitely* coming out. In fact, I just ironed out the last known bug that I had in the combat system about 5 minutes ago. Moving on to the next item on the todo list!

15. LazyGamer

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    Screenshot(s) or it didn't happen :p

16. VisceriousZERO

VisceriousZERO Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Quite excited for this :)

17. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    That makes two of us :)

18. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    Thought I'd share something a little different in the form of the WIP main theme for Coldfire Keep, written and performed by my friend Evrim.

Also, just a quick update. I've now consolidated all my "web stuff" into my main site http://www.stevejarman.com, so if you're after updates, that's the place to get them.

19. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    I just thought I'd drop a quick status update to let folks know where things are at.

I've been spending the last <however long it's been> working out all the kinks in the Coldfire Keep code and implementing all of the game's systems. As of today, I'm finally at a point where I can say that the coding is complete... of course, I say that knowing full well that I'll be making countless tweaks going forward, BUT, for what it's worth - the foundations are all laid.

As of today, it's possible to play through the first four locations (levels) in the game. My job now is to start putting together the rest of the locations, essentially taking what I have pencil-drawn on graph paper, and building it all using my little dungeon parts in the wonderful modo501.

I do this stuff (i.e. game development, the) part-time - having a fulltime "day job" too. The good news is that, as of the end of this week, I'll be spending two weeks fulltime on Coldfire Keep, during which I hope to get the modeling of all of the remaining locations completed.

The primary artist on the game (David Hattori) is in the process of modeling and animating the final few enemy/NPC models.

Aside from that, I just need to spend a couple of days replacing all of the current temporary audio with the final sfx. And then it's into testing!

Anyway... that's the news. If you're one of the eight people desperately waiting for Coldfire Keep to be released, you don't have much longer to hold that breath :)

(...and yes, I know I'm long overdue for a gameplay video - I'm getting around to it, I promise!)

20. Captive

Nov 28, 2011
    Thanks for the update it sounds like its going well.People i think are just waiting for a good grid based dungeon game as we've not seen one yet that compares to past games in this genre,i'm really hoping yours does.Hope your dedication pays off.Definately looking forward to that video.