What is the best bowling game on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Matmi, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Matmi

Matmi Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Creative Director
    Manchester
    I am doing some research on bowling games on the iPhone and was wondering whether I can get some feedback of what you think are the best bowling games and why?

2. So a Bowling game might be in the horizon from the makers of Monster Pinball;)...I'm sure if you do it'll be as stonking as that game:)

Personally i like Galactic Bowling,because it's not just a conventional up and down the lane type of bowling game which can get kinda boring after a few goes..It has Different bowling worlds and power-ups to help and hinder,colourful and amusing characters.Obstacles to avoid whilst bowling,nice graphics etc...

And i'm sure if you do make a bowling game it wont be a conventional one either,going by Monster Pinball;)

3. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    'Malibu Island Bowling' is my favourite because of the caribbean accent voices and the music :D (It's free also).

4. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    The best bowling game is Galactic Bowling in my opinion. It just had a price drop from $5 to 99 cents and it is amazing. The graphics are great and the gameplay is very smooth.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The one I play the most is not actually bowling per se: 10-Pin Shuffle! :eek:

6. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Whether you're developing a conventional or arcade bowler, I think if you want to incorporate good bowling physics in your game, you may want to check out Brunswick Pro Bowling. It's probably the best sim bowler on the platform at this point.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=27187

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Agreed about the physics: Brunswick's are solid. All in all, a beautiful game. Galactic Bowling is great, too, just not realistic (tough to be realistic when you're, for example, bowling under water).

8. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI
    I have posted this in other threads, but out of the 13 Bowling games I bought, I have 3 favorites:

AMF Bowling - Arcade
    Galaxy Bowling - Fantasy
    Brunswick Bowling - Sim

AMF Bowling - I first found out it was coming to the iPod back in May and thru the entire summer, I checked TA constantly looking for it to release. It took Forever.
    I find AMF to be the most fun out of the 3. I absolutely LOVE the controls. It is a Bowling game that is played with one hand, so It is perfect for the iPod.
    Another aspect I love about it is that it has 12 different Lanes that are all different themes. It's sort of fantasy in style, but more arcade in gameplay, as the bowling lanes are all straight and it's real bowling (unlike the loops and banks in Galactic). Physics are on the weaker side out of the three, but the gameplay is just awesome. Fun factor outweighs the physics.

Galaxy Bowling - Has Jumps, Loops, Banks, Ice, Fire, Grass, Wood, Space, etc.
    Although every photo you see of this game shows it as a split screen battle, It has full screen one player (which is what I most often use).
    The controls in Galaxy are my least favorite of the three, although I believe one hand can get the job done. The graphics are amazing and I am a sucker for fantasy mixed with sports (like SSX Tricky, NFL Street, Adrenaline Golf, etc).
    Like AMF, Galaxy has a lot of different lanes to pick from - this is SO IMPORTANT to me, as I LOVE content.

Brunswick Bowling - 5 lanes in this one. They are just different enough to make it worth having them.
    The gameplay in this game is great. It has slide functions, so 2 hands should probably be needed.
    The pin physics are spot on, as pins tilt, flip, and sometimes spin on their belly. This game is sim all the way. Even the design of the lanes is pretty modest and all 5 resemble nice bowling alleys.
    One VERY cool aspect is the fact that it can be played in either Landscape or Portrait orientation - When playing in Portrait, you get a higher camera angle which is pretty cool.

If Matmi makes a bowling game, I would be all over that.
    I can imagine it already (half joking) - when you make a strike, the ball drops down into another alley, bounces around and gets shot into another alley before making it's way back to you.

Seriously though, I am a big fan of Monster Pinball, as it remains one of my very favorite games out of 900 (I'm talking personal top 20)
    Can't wait for the Christmas Pinball to go through either.

Best of luck to you guys.

9. Matmi

Matmi Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Creative Director
    Manchester
    Thanks for the info you guys (is it all men on this forum?)

We might be planning a bowling game :) . I have a unusual idea for bowling. Think it will be really good!

Have you all seen our new game Snowy's Christmas Pinball. Think it should be approved any day http://iphone/matmi.com/snowyspinball

After this pinball game we will be reasting from pinball for a little while. We are releasing a flash pinball game soon.

We have so many other great games coming. Just finsihed Ho Ho Ho Yellow Snow! Submitting tomorrow.

Thanks for all your support.

10. thegamerocks06

thegamerocks06 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Student
    India
    iBowl anyone?

11. Matmi

Matmi Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Creative Director
    Manchester
    Ok I admit we are making a bowling game ;)

It will be a little different and I think it will be free.

12. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

I am kind of partial to Brunswick Bowling, at the moment.

I like the realistic aspect of the game.

David

13. Fe1

Fe1 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Arrgh, I must've bought it just the day before it changed to 99 cents. I agree that the visuals in Galactic Bowling are great, and innovative. I like it. It's just not that realistic as a bowling game.

"Action Bowling" is good, as is "Midnight Bowling", although the graphics in the latter are a bit gumball. "10 Pin Shuffle" is also fun, although not exactly what many people consider bowling.

Anyone like "Flick Bowling"? Haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for the "Brunswick Pro Bowling" heads-up. No idea it existed!

edited: Just missed the sale. Dang!

Nov 09 $1.99 -> $2.99
    Nov 02 $2.99 -> $1.99
    Oct 12 $4.99 -> $2.99
    Sep 19 New App: $4.99, v1.0