Save transfer help?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Loganaustin, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Loganaustin

Loganaustin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    so im getting the iphone 4 next week and i have tons of games on my itouch, but i dont want to have to start all over on all of the games. Is there any way to transfer save files to my new iphone? I dont wanna Jailbreak, but if thats the only way i guess i have to

2. galaxygrrl

galaxygrrl Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, call Apple and asked. They might have a way to do it.

You can definately do it via Jailbreak with AppBackup, and you are going to need to SSH into your phone.

Jailbreaking is pretty easy. The issue that you have is there is NOT a JB out for the new firmware, but it sounds like it is coming very soon...within the next week.

Jailbreaking is really not a big deal at all by the way.

3. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Note: I know this method works when switching from iPhone->iPhone, but I'm not 100% sure it works going from iPod->iPhone.

Plug your iPod Touch into your computer with iTunes. It should auto-backup your device, but if it doesn't right-click and select "backup" or whatever. Plug your iPhone 4 to the computer and choose to restore from the last backup of your iPod Touch. Check your games on your iPhone just to make sure the saves are all there.

4. jmelrose

jmelrose Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Teach
    Central FL
    you can also use iphone explorer to move files from one app on a device to another. I moved my angry bird saves, along with both puzzle quest characters without any problems. i was even able to use iphone explorer to move my puzzle quest one character from the iphone version to the ipad. great application. it's a Mac app as far as i know.

5. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

When you plug in your new iPhone it will ask you if you want to restore from a backup, restoring from the iPod Touch backup should be all you need to do. If that doesn't work you can manually pull the save files out and stick them onto the new iPhone by using Phone Disk or another app that grants access to the basic file system.

Be warned through, this is probably the worst possible time to buy a new iPhone as they're always released in June.

6. Loganaustin

Loganaustin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    thanks ill do that when i get my phone next week

7. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Depends on the app. If you don't wanna do a full backup, you can usually copy the saves with iFile.

8. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Does iPhone explorer work with a non-jailbroken ipod Touch 4?

9. Spamcan

iPhone Explorer, Phone Disk and the rest of the apps that allow you to access the file system only access the folder the apps are stored in and therefore don't require a jailbreak. If you want to access the system folder in order to replace text sounds and whatnot then you need to jailbreak.

10. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    #10 Red1, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
    Thanks.

Here's the link for iPhone Explorer:
    http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

It also lets you use the device like a USB stick.

UPDATE: I've installed it on my Mac and it's connected to the iPod successfully. Next step is to work out which files are the save files. I guess this can be done differently for each game. Do you have to go through each game trying to guess which file is the saved game?

11. Spamcan

#11 Spamcan, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
    Basically, yes you have to figure out where the save file is located. The easiest ways to do this are to search for a file with save in the name or google "game name iphone save". It's probably in the Documents folder.