iOS App Store destroys google play store .

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by fulcizombie, Jan 17, 2016.

1. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    I had never owned a smartphone in my life . Even though I love gadgets and have 2 iPads, 3 iPods and 1 MP3 player ( other members of my family use the older ones) for some reason I always found the price of a good smartphone to be too much for too little ( I want either a premium device or nothing, that's my motto in general got my first car at the age of 33 but it was a Mazda rx8 , I can wait until I can afford something good or I buy nothing ) . Anyway the iPhone was out of the question because , honestly, I think its price is ridiculous and I have an iPad Air 2 to enjoy apple's various offerings . After searching a bit I found a Samsung Galaxy s6 for a great price (420€, 32 gb , brand new of course ) and after reading glowing reviews from everywhere on the net I went for it . The device is fantastic and the screen amazing. Thus I entered the world of Google play .

Let me tell you the difference with the App Store , when it comes to games is huge . The interface of the App Store is much nicer to begin with , the play store is difficult to navigate . Secondly , and most importantly, the games . I might complain about the app store's selection but it crushes Google play . So many great exclusives , the infinity blade games, ag drive , forgotten memories , radiation island , bioshock ( well when it worked) and more , games that push the mobile devices . On the other hand the selection is poor , the only exclusives that I found to my liking are a small developer's games ( fenixfire) that nobody seems to know about but are great ( Osiris battlefield and roboto) and have jaw dropping graphics ( Osiris battlefield looks like a console game , really high end stuff for mobile ) . Other than that though...nothing .

Also the prices are definitely higher . Laughably in some cases ( castle of illusion at 13€ ) . Now I still don't know what kind of sales they have there but I hope that they are good cause these prices...ouch . Another huge problem is that, unlike the App Store, the broken games are still in the play store at full prices too . I didn't buy any but I know that both dead space and mass effect don't work ,if you have the latest android version, but are still in play store .

The only high profile exclusives are nvidia exclusives which is ridiculous since shield is a niche device and why would anyone buy an nvidia playboy , or whatever it is called, for use on the tv when you can get a real console with much better games than ports of games like half life 2 and doom 3 ?

To conclude and being 100% objective , if you want mobile gaming then iOS devices is where it's at, well at least if Apple fixes the damn Game Center problem .

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    You are comparing a highly curated, user-experience-driven marketplace (and system) with one where the primary attitude is "let the end user figure it out".

3. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    I use google play because they have some great freemium apps and their apps are not broken easily.

4. CrazedJava

CrazedJava Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    I recently switched from an iPad Mini to an Nvidia Shield. A lot of that was driven by Apple's harebrained practices.

Speaking as a longtime iPad user it is nothing short of a shock going into the Google Playstore. I've used Android Phones forever but my app experience was always limited and very targeted so I was actively searching rather than "discovering"

While I am generally happy with the Shield as a tablet it doesn't change that the Google Play experience is completely subpar.

Example - New releases. Log into the Apple AppStore, there is a row dedicated to releases out that week which will display older but recent releases to fill in the real estate.

Google's "new" releases remind me of the dark days of Blockbuster where their definition of "new" should be criminal. I often have to search for actual new releases as they will not show up at all. What is the purpose of that? The games are out and available for download but unless you know about it and explicitly search for them you cannot find them.

That is one example but it holds true across the entire store. Recommendations are generally stronger than the AppStore, but the general process of discovery is very bad and tends to display older apps and games that have been out a long while and aren't always up-to-date.

It's a shame as I think Google could be a stronger competitor and this is a ridiculous advantage to give Apple. Google actually has plenty of people who understand concepts of Usability so they really have no excuse for it being as bad as it is.

5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Good for you! You finally figured out what most of the rest of us have already known for years! :rolleyes:
    You seem really slow at coming to the table. Considering how much time you wasted in your life before owning your first car which is kinda strange, and never owning a smartphone before, at this rate, you won't get your first house 'til you're 85. My advice is don't procrastinate so much and enjoy life a little, man. :D

6. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Google knows that this is a point they have to concede. With how far ahead Apple is in terms of the App Store and apps, even going as far as using it in marketing, it's impossible for the competition to catch up.

Of course, they took the even easier way out and dropped the ball entirely, rather than at least making it a better experience. But from their point of view, if they can't compete or use it as a selling point, why bother?

7. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Thanks for the advice, how could I have lived so many years with a simple cell phone and not a smart phone ? So many wasted years....:D

8. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Sometimes google play is a lot cheaper than ios App Store. Castle of illusions has been less than £1. It just depends what sales they have on etc, but I totally agree it's not as good an experience as ios store.

Amazon Underground might be a good option if you want to try a game and see how it works, because all the underground stuff is free, including all iaps, but you need to be online to play, as they pay the devs depending on how much their game is played. You could play it, see if you like it, the uninstall and buy on google play or whatever.

Apple apps and games only need to work on apple products, whereas android developers need their stuff to work on a massive selection of devices with various specs, and piracy is a peice of cake on android, seriously, my mum is a technophobe and she could install a paid app for free, it's that easy. I think both those factors contribute to more free to play and less premium and also less exclusives on android.

But saying that, as long as I have an ipad, I'll be sticking with galaxy for my phone, I don't game on that very much, but for everything else I use my phone for, it's brilliant. Much more customisation options too.

9. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Well I think he made this thread because of the one I posted a week ago. About my opinion of the google play store