Backing up game saves?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by florbastang, May 29, 2009.

1. florbastang

florbastang Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Can you back up game saves? Are game saves/high scores/etc. backed up when you sync the device? I might be sending my Touch in for replacement (the headphone jack is acting up), but I'm afraid of losing progress and scores in my games. Is there anyway to back all of this up so that it can be transferred to the new one?

2. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    No, I don't think so. When the apps are removed, the data is lost. But I don't see why they would remove the apps to fix the headphone jack.

I wish there could be a save data space reserved in the iPhones internal memory where you have slots which you can save games onto, like with the PS2, PS3, PSP (most games consoles). That way you could remove the apps without deleting the data and you could manage your game saves in a menu somewhere.

3. Xander

Xander Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    You can use an app called AppBackup if you have a jailbroken ipod, otherwise, I'm not aware of any solution.

4. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I heard that backing up your idevice on iTunes backs up your data like games saves, but not sure about high scores. Then just restore in iTunes when you you need to restore. Can someone verify this?

5. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    You can save your game progress if you're jailbroken.

6. shodanng

shodanng Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #6 shodanng, May 29, 2009
    Last edited: May 29, 2009
    After you jailbroken, install Chronus from Cydia. Chronus can backup and restore almost all app settings, documents and game saves(for any App Store app and jailbroken app). I use Chronus many times everyday.

If you wanna to backup all Chronus backup file from iPhone to PC, just use WinSCP to copy this folder to PC:
    /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/TimeCapsule

Then if you wanna to restore all Chronus backup file from PC to iPhone, just copy the TimeCapsule to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/, and set the folder access right to mobile 755(MUST APPLY TO ALL THE FILES UNDER THE FOLDER)

You may say Chronus is a Time Machine for iPhone, or a memory cards for iPhone Game.;)

7. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    I agree with this. Restore ipod from backup, and all of your progress will be there from the time of backup. Jailbreak not necessary.

8. MaxPower

MaxPower Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I heard that only certain games are backed up through itunes... depends on teh game. Not sure if that is true or not. I'd like to know as well.

9. TideTime

TideTime Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I agree to. From what I know, backing up in iTunes also saves game saves and game data.

10. florbastang

Apr 22, 2009
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Jailbreaking void your warranty. I'm...ummmm...going in for warranty repair service. So, you know...

11. florbastang

Apr 22, 2009
    So if I get a replacement Touch, do I then plug it in and do restore or do I do sync? Also, to do a backup, I just sync the Touch, right?

12. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    you need to do a backup, not just a sync. Then when you're ready to restore you will need to restore from the date you backedup your iPod.

13. darkhorse

Jan 18, 2009
    #13 darkhorse, May 29, 2009
    Last edited: May 29, 2009
    When you plug it in, it should give you an option to restore as your ipod. Select that and then your apps will sync followed by a recent backup you made.

Oh, to do a backup, right click the ipod tab to the left and select backup.

14. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    I had a replacement iphone from apple when mine went tits up. I restored the iphone from my previous iphones backup but none of the apps got installed. I had to manually install the apps and none transfered my game saves so I lost the lot. Not happy, I removed some games as a result because I couldn't face slogging my way through them all again just to get back to where I was.

15. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI
    I recently got my 32gb Ipodtouch 2nd gen replaced because of a crappy battery.

I have a ton of games and I was concerned about my saves being backed up. I didn't want to have to unlock all of the dice again in motion X, or unlock everything in Snake Galaxy.

I can confirm that after getting the brand new ipod touch, all of my game saves remained in contact.

When you plug the new ipod in, it asks if you want to restore it to the last backup you did (it will show the date) or if you want to set it up as new.

If you set it up as new, your game saves will NOT transfer over.

If you restore from last backup, they should all be there - At least all of my saves in every single game were there.

(BTW, I also did this when I upgraded from 8gb to 32gb last fall - Same thing)

16. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Just tried Chronus and I like it more than appbackup. Both allow you to save and restore game saves. Needs jailbroken phone. I'll probably use both. Now I can delete Pathpix and any other game I finish :D

17. njchris

njchris Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Something must not have been done right then. I had recently had my iphone replaced at the apple store. I did a sync at home before (and it did a backup).

When I got home with the "new" iphone, it asked if I wanted to make it a new phone or restore from backup. I picked the backup and it was all good.

18. themendoz

themendoz Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    How exactly do you restore from backup, I found the restore button, but not the "restore from backup" button. So I don't know how to do it.

19. darkhorse

Jan 18, 2009
    Find the iDevice tab to the left while connected, right click it and restore from backup.

20. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Herefordshire, U.K.
    This discussion isn't clear. What if you delete an app, then re-install it. Is there a way of keeping your saved data safe so that it restores with the reinstallation of the app?

As it stands i'm sure deleting and reinstalling wipes all saved data dosen't it?