iPhone Introducing Fates Forever - a MOBA exclusively for tablets

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jasoncitron, Jun 6, 2013.

1. jasoncitron

jasoncitron Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Founding Craftsman of Hammer & Chisel. Previously
    San Francisco
    #1 jasoncitron, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    Hey Everyone!
    Me and my friends have been working for the last year building a game for gamers on tablets and we're *finally* ready to share it with you!

The inspiration for our game Fates Forever (and company, Hammer & Chisel), is born out of the notion that LOTS of people are buying tablets but there aren't that many really great deep, complex games for core gamers (although Kingdom Rush and The Room are freaking awesome). So... we took a step back and analyzed where we think great games come from. And our conclusion is new user interaction paradigms. Nintendo is a great example of this: they took mario and over the years reinterpreted the game with new user interfaces (d-pad, then shoulder buttons, then analog stick, then a pointer). Halo was a reinterpretation of PC FPS. Guitar Hero of the many music games in Japan.

We looked around at what great games we've been playing and that we think we could reinterpret for tablets. We picked the MOBA genre (like league of legends and DoTA). The idea of using gestures to pull off skill shots sounded like a great way to play. And it turns out (from our Alpha playtesting) that it's a lot of fun and different in cool way!

And without further adieu, here's the first screenshot of our game: Fates Forever. Coming exclusively to tablets (starting with iPad 2, 3, 4, and Mini... eventually Android) this summer!

[​IMG]

Let us know what you think!!! Ahhhh!

- Jason Citron
    - Founding Craftsman, Hammer & Chisel

P.S. if you want to learn more TUAW did a fantastic write up here.

2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Do you need testers? Or is that all taken care of?

3. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    It looks great.

Unfortunately, it's in the wrong subforum. Can a mod move it to Upcoming iPad Games?

4. jasoncitron

Jun 18, 2009
    San Francisco
    Doh. Thank you mod. :)

@MrMojoRisin yeah we are accepting testers. just head to www.fatesforever.com and sign up with your email. we'll be reaching out to that mailing list shortly for playtesters.

5. Rubyjourney

Rubyjourney Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    #5 Rubyjourney, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    Sounds pretty cool, can't wait to see some more screens or even a video! I signed up for your mailing list. Good Luck, cant wait to see it in action.

Edit: Not sure what payment model you guys are going with but if its going to be F2P with IAP I highly suggest checking out Solstice Arena. In Solstice Arena all characters can be bought with currency earned in game, thought their is the option to just pay if you don't wanna grind out games. The best skins are IAP only which I think works great. Once again, Good Luck:)

6. Thaumite

Thaumite Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Signed up for play testing :D
    I am definitely going to keep my eye in this one.

7. thudoi

thudoi Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Will suport for ios 5.0 ?

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Color me interested.

9. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    Looks like I need to make some space for this game... :D

10. jasoncitron

Jun 18, 2009
    San Francisco
    #10 jasoncitron, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
    Hey! Thanks so much everyone for signing up! We are really surprised and humbled by the positive response to the preview. Some answers...

Unfortunately no. The game doesn't specifically require iOS6, but it does not support the first generation iPad. In the App Store, apple requires developers to indicate support by iOS version NOT by device. So, in order to not support the first gen iPad, we have to indicate iOS6 support. Sorry about that ;-/ Hopefully you can get a new iPad to play!

We are being very careful about how we do F2P. We're making a point to implement it respectfully. That means two things: 1) You will never be forced to stop playing... so no garbage energy mechanics. 2) You will only be able to pay for options, never power (that means, even things like the Potions in Solstice will not be there). We want to make sure if you start a match you are NEVER at a disadvantage because you didn't spend money. This is essentially what League of Legends and Magic The Gathering do.

:-D

11. Sharontung66

Sharontung66 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I absolutely love it already! What more is there to say except I'll be waiting with bated breath for its release.

12. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Can't you support iOS 5 and require a camera instead?

13. 123App

123App New Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Good work!

It's quite outstanding, been looking for some decent games for iPad specifically. Look forward till release. Also glad to hear your opinions on F2P.

14. standardcombo

standardcombo New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    As much as I love MtG, it is one of the most pay-to-win games ever. Unless you are drafting.

15. Foxshade

Foxshade Member

Sep 16, 2010
    So looking forward to this.
    I really like heroes of order and chaos,... But seems to be missing the "skill shot".
    FF appears to have this.
    How many different heroes at launch?
    Will there be guilds?
    Will there be skill trees?

16. Meridian99

Meridian99 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Good, I hate the idea of potions and those kind of power ups, turns me off a game immediately. Looking forward to seeing the game!

17. Rafy211

Rafy211 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Unicorn Land
    I hope to become a tester for this amazing game. This really has a lot of potential. It looks great :)

18. jasoncitron

Jun 18, 2009
    San Francisco
    We are aiming for 10 at launch. Right now we have 4 in our Alpha playtests and it's already really fun!

Eventually, yeah. Early on we will not have them.

Probably similar to how League works (not solstice).

:) thanks for the interest!!

19. lepke

lepke Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Japan
    Signed up for your mail list too. Hope to help beta test it and again, good luck with the game and I hope it will be great.

20. FouriOS

FouriOS Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Senior Enterprise Java developer
    Hungary
    Looks awesome :) Do you still plan to release the game this year?