Imagination is The Only Escape ( educational story-driven game about the Holocaust)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Luc Bernard, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Luc Bernard

Luc Bernard Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Ruler of pugs
    PugLand
    Hello,

Some may know me from various iOS titles I have worked on.

However this is maybe what I believe to be my most important title. It is something very different, but which I believe can change the industry and also videogames.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/imagination-is-the-only-escape/x/4471403

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No publisher will fund a title with such a touchy subject. In 2008, this title was planned for Nintendo DS, however, it was incredibly hard to release the game because of its touchy subject. Now, with so many digital distribution channels, the title can be accessed by anyone in the world. Today we can make this a reality with the help of crowd funding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagination_Is_the_Only_Escape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Videogames have been evolving fast, but they still haven’t been able to handle serious topics involving world changing historical events.

Imagination is the first title to show the horrific side of war, and talk about one of the most devastating moments in history: The Holocaust.

The title is aimed to educate, and allows to see the events through the eyes of a child.

We believe this title can change the industry and show that the medium of videogames can be used for educating and influencing the world.

[​IMG]

The story starts off before the Occupation of France by Nazi Germany. The player is introduced to the main character, a Jewish boy named Samuel who is playing with his friends, going to school, and living a normal life in Paris. However, when France is invaded by the Nazis, Samuel and his family are soon forced to move to a ghetto and wear the yellow star of David on their clothes.

The scene changes to the Vel' d'Hiv Roundup, the mass arrest of Jews in Paris that took place on July 16, 1942. During the chaos Samuel's mother tells him to escape the city. She takes off his star so he can't be recognized as a Jew, and gives him the address of a Catholic priest who can help him escape Paris and the occupied part of France. As Samuel escapes, his mother is spotted and killed as he is able to escape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Samuel starts his journey to find the priest, sneaking his way through Paris. Samuel soon finds him, and is smuggled out to southern France. They arrive at a small village hidden in a forest, where the villagers are passing off Jewish children from all over France as Christian orphans, and soon Samuel meets a fox who tells him that if he helps her he will be able to see his mother again.

Attached Files:

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Tough tackle but good luck

3. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Sounds very, very interesting. Good luck - I'd love to see it make it to my device.

4. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Wow, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

5. anteye5

anteye5 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    It is good that you are attempting to show the world this side of the war and I hope that it works out for you I shall keep an eye on this.

6. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Liked so far what I have seen of the Game. Wondering how everything will work out in the longer run.

Would have prefered that the hole Game would look more like in the last two Screenshots but I trust Luc enough to suprise me...

7. Luc Bernard

Mar 4, 2009
    Ruler of pugs
    PugLand
    Which screens are you referring to?

8. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    The sephia silhouette ones.

9. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    good story good design ;p

10. Luc Bernard

Mar 4, 2009
    Ruler of pugs
    PugLand
    Yes. I will also reveal a video soon too

11. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay I was talking about those two:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But as I already said before: I will wait and see how the rest of the Game will be :D

12. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Agreed, that would be win, and fitting.

13. Luc Bernard

Mar 4, 2009
    Ruler of pugs
    PugLand
    don't worry there are scenes like that where you are actually interacting

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Difficult one. I understand the point the app is trying to make, its probably a good way to remind people of this terrible moment in history, something which hasnt been done before as these types of history moments are often just in documentaries/shows etc.

On one hand i really would like to try it, on the other hand when i play games its my 'escape', dont have to worry about the mortgage/stresses at work etc, its just me and the game and having fun.

15. ogloguy

ogloguy Active Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Game Developer
    #15 ogloguy, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    Very interesting

There's a limbo-ish touch to all this. Would love to see the more of it.