iPhone Bonk-A-Donk - (by rejected games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Acumen, May 6, 2012.

1. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    #1 Acumen, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
    Hey there, I actively searched for a partner on this project in late february 2012.
    Well on march 7th I got contacted by Lukas who seemed interest in the entire premise/idea of the game and so after long email discussions we started the development of the project.

We set up a development blog about the game's progress over here:
    http://acumen-design.de/games/

We wanted to show the development process as indepth as possible and talk about pretty much any aspect we encounter on our journey for others to learn from, laugh about or simply enjoy following the process of creation :)

Latest Screenshot:
    [​IMG]

Latest Development Build:

Betatesting - yum yum ?:
    Our philosophy is to get this game out ot as many people as possible and therefore gather as much information and feedback as possible from you guys. So if you would like to get in contact with us about possible betatesting this game, drop us a line over at:
    [email protected]

As soon as we have the game mechanics working, we would like to get an initial round of feedback and take the development from there. So this is really a chance for anyone interested in our game to be involved in making it the most entertaining and polished as we can :)

Gameplay:
    "Pucking" was inspired by an old french game called "Passe Trappe". It basically is a variant of air hockey in it’s core. It's a 2 player game (1 Human vs 1 Human on the same device / 1 Human vs AI) where each player has 5 pucks that need to be pushed into the other half of the playing field. When all 5 pucks are in the other half of the field, the game is over. Variants of this gamemode can be created with adding 1-2 extra items, like special pucks, obstacles, changing the amount of tunnels on a playing field.

Features:
    - 3 Game modes
    - 1 Player vs. AI
    - 2 Player – Local multiplayer
    - 4 different playfield skins
    - Gamecenter achievements and leaderboards

We would love to answer any question that you guys may have, how we did/do/plan things, what errors we made, hurdles we faced. Pretty much anything. We're trying to be as transparent as possible
    Our dev cycle is set for 4 months, which seems quite reasonable for a project of that small scale.
    Every other kind of feedback is appreciated as well, obviously !

2. Betelgeuze

Betelgeuze Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Designer
    Belgium
    looks fun! :)

3. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    thanks Betelgeuze :)
    I can't wait for the rubberband mechanics to be implemented finally. Seems this will take 1-2 weeks - turns out even the simplest game has its hurdles that one has to overcome. So glad Lukas knows his stuff *g*

Meanwhile some shots of the build on my ipad2 in my living room (IKEA for the win) :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Sooo, the noble wood sparkled some ideas about how to “brand” the game. Technically this is all mockup stage. We shall see how this one turns out on the device. This is all off to Lukas for his first round of judgement and we'll work from there !
    It's a step in the right direction after all :)
    Feel free to guide us along the way *g*

[​IMG]

5. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    And we settled on this menu style for now. Looks a lot more cohesive and less style-mixed, if you ask me :)
    Oh and we really went with the game's name: Bonk-A-Donk

[​IMG]

6. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Impressive work so far; I can see why Lukas signed on, and it looks like you're making good progress. Liking the menu, too.

7. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Hey AnarKitty, thanks for the encouraging words :)
    Really helps to stay motivated on this project. Hoping to share more work soon. Should be video form than since still images can only show so much !

8. fionachan

fionachan Member

May 17, 2012
    It looks interesting~~

9. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    thank you fionachan :)
    Lukas said "tooo much blue on blue on blue on the menu", so I made everything red instead :eek:

[​IMG]

I think he likes me :D

10. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Lukas stood by his word and sent a new build of bonkadonk !
    We’re at Version 0.2 now !
    Most exciting news was the addition of the rubberband. It’s the key game element, adding some twist and having this working exactly as I imagined it, was like being citizen of Chocolateverse !

And here we have a mockup of the leaderboards:
    [​IMG]

Also here's another set of variations for the main menu. We were noticed to make the quickplay button more visible. These are all just food for thought, so we don't know how these will translate to the device, yet :)

[​IMG]

11. Izitmee

Izitmee Member

May 9, 2012
    Interactive Developer
    Rome
    I really love the cheerful atmosphere of bonk a donk (and of your IKEA room :D). As of now, my favorite screen is the leaderboards. Don't know exactly why, but it blows me out with its neatness, readability, and undisturbing shininess.

12. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    BetaTest
    If you would like to BetaTest Bonk-A-Donk, let us know ! We are looking for people that own any possible iPad version available and are signed up on testflight.

Our philosophy is to get this game out ot as many people as possible and therefore gather as much information and feedback as possible from you guys. So if you would like to get in contact with us about possible betatesting this game, drop us a line over at:
    [email protected]

Thanks Izitmee for the comment - we shall no deploy the game and focus on giving people the best shiny leaderboard that is out there :D

Aaaaaah, so much aweseomeness awaiting.
    Lukas attended this years Unity Usergroup in Woerden (the netherlands) and he got ~ 10 people to play the latest build. We could gather lots of useful feedback and information there and are working on polishing the build as we speak :)

More information:
    http://unityusergroup.nl/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/79812614@N07/sets/72157629999586200/
    https://twitter.com/#!/UnityUsergroup

Our game is even featured in one of the photoooos !! :D
    [​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/79812614@N07/7315162528/in/set-72157629999586200

And some videos taken from there that show the game in action :D

Man, I'm excited. And honored and proud to have my Lukas :)
    Hope you enjoy it at least 1/10 as much as we do !

13. captainvideogames

Jun 7, 2012
    gamer
    USA
    just by the name id dig it

being a dork and all :) cool to bonk myself maybe? :)

14. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Loving the simplicity of the game, which makes strategy more intuitive and personal. Thanks for the video; it looks great! :)

15. Izitmee

Izitmee Member

May 9, 2012
    Interactive Developer
    Rome
    Great video, and now I'm even more interested. Also, seen how the red player sucked, I want to challenge the blue one and bring power back to reds! :D

16. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    haha captainvideogames, at least we got that part right :D

AnarKitty, I think you summed up the entire experience we're trying to come up with :D
    It's soo tempting to add lots and lots of extras, gadgets and stuff but we decided from the beginning that the game shall focus on the user's skill and strategy.

@Izitmee: Can't describe how interesting it is to study other people playing your own game, seeing some of the same quirks that you have to struggle with on your own and see where you can change things up to make it more interesting. Gogogo release your game and afford all the iDevices :D

I just submitted 2 alternative fields to Lukas, with 2 and 3 holes in it, made the holes more narrow and now we shall see how the next iteration plays out.

Again if you're interested in betatesting, let us know and drop us a line :)

17. Izitmee

Izitmee Member

May 9, 2012
    Interactive Developer
    Rome
    Mhmm the different fields look interesting. How about implementing all the fun ones (after testing) and let the player choose?

18. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    We definitely plan to let our players customize the layout (hole amount), field color and puck color to offer more variety :)

19. Izitmee

Izitmee Member

May 9, 2012
    Interactive Developer
    Rome
    What about allowing the players to BUILD their layout, for maximum evilness? :p

20. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    #20 Acumen, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
    Denied ;)
    This shall be released before YOUR game - haha :D

In the meantime, people who are interested can sign up on our testflight thing. Still new to this, but maybe it works.

[​IMG]