Reaction when you see "Abstract strategy boardgame"

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by baris, May 23, 2011.

?

When I see "Abstract strategy board game" in a description of a game, my reaction is.

1. Just the way I like it.

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. I might be intrigued, go on...

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. Probably boring.

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. Yawning already.

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    #1 baris, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
    (My secret evil motivation for asking:
    I'm trying to decide whether to put that in a visible place in my app description text)

2. dayna

dayna Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    It makes me think of "Go" or "Chess". Not very exciting.

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    sounds pretty amorphous. about as bad as devs who put "an unique and interesting experience" in their descriptions. It doesn't give me anything useful and it actually turns me off from the game.

4. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

I think, "Eurogame." Which can be either good, bad, or indifferent.

The language in the example is pretty wishy-washy; it could mean just about anything. Something more specific certainly couldn't hurt.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
  6. Mivo

Mivo Well-Known Member

May 10, 2011
    Germany
    I'm a Go player, so of course I'd be interested. :) But nothing really can ever come close to Go, so it's a double-edged blade. But yes, I'll be intrigued enough to click on "More..." when I see "abstract board game" in the first few lines of an iTunes description.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think you'd have to be interested in board games already for this phrase to really catch your eye, I'm not sure how popular they are on the App Store. Personally, I'd be more tempted by a description that started with "Undoubtedly badass board game!" :p

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Yup. Time to fluff it up with "Warning: Amazingly Addicting Farting Zombies and Angry Pirates Utterly Addicted to an Addicting Abstract Strategy Boardgame. Impossible Boobs!"

9. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Thanks for all the feedback!

It is indeed like those games, so there's no escaping that :eek:

As expected not many people would be interested, but I now feel better that "abstract strategy game" would at least not push away even the minority of people who might be interested in a game like "go" or "chess".

Do you mind if I use that? Now if you would just help figure out where to put the boobs in the attached image :D

Attached Files:

• tix.jpg
      tix.jpg
      File size:
      79.9 KB
      Views:
  10. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I use "Eurogame" interchangeably with "abstract strategy boardgame", but the designer of this board game corrects me every time, saying Eurogames are usually not abstract.

Do you mean something more specific than "abstract strategy boardgame", like "a 2-player tile-based abstract strategy boardgame", or did I misunderstand that completely? There will be lengthier details about the rules, etc. in the description, but that only matters after someone is interested enough to read.

11. Mivo

Mivo Well-Known Member

May 10, 2011
    Germany
    There is no reason you can't use the surface of the tiles for pictures!

12. Gravity Jim

Gravity Jim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Commercial music producer
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Why turn off potential players with the word "abstract?" That sound like code for "not completely thought out."

"Endlessly fascinating 2-player strategy game. Quick to learn, tough to master."

13. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    My thought was to attract the (small number of) people -such as myself- who would be instantly interested in a game in the "abstract strategy game" category. But it should indeed be balanced with not turning off people who might be tangentially interested in such a game.

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    You are more than welcome to use that (or any variation thereof. ;))

No need to include boobs - they're impossible, after all! :D

Oh, wait, I know - IAP gameboard:

[​IMG]

15. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what I meant, exactly ... I was more just typing off the top of my head.

Upon reflection, I think it's "abstract" that brings me up short. Honestly, that's a BoardgameGeek term, and is probably best left over there. I'm not sure it translates well to the iOS arena. Using it as the first word of your description seems likely to cause a lot of potential customers to shrug, say "whatever," and move on to something else.

16. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    Upon reflection there is definitely a distinction which can be made and making such distinctions contributes to our literacy, understanding and, imo, appreciation of the medium. Remember, most if not all of Knizia's games are "abstracts" with a thin veneer of flavor on top.

17. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    @Baris

Reading some of the reactions to your question I can't help but think of that statement (mistakenly) attributed to Hermann Göring:

"Wenn ich Kultur höre ... entsichere ich meinen Browning!"

:)