iPhone My next 3D game project

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mlfarrell, Aug 28, 2010.

1. mlfarrell

mlfarrell Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    san diego, ca
    #1 mlfarrell, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
    I tried to post this in game jam, but it looks like that's the wrong place for it :eek:

Ok. So you guys want my best? Over the next few months I'm gonna dish it out. My last 2 games (tube tennis, beer machine) were written in a matter of days. My most popular game, Afterwing, took me a month but was really thrown together with old game code from a long time ago. This time, I plan on really working on this game during my spare time until its at my level of satisfaction, whether thats 3 weeks or 6 months from now.

So I'm bringing out the big guns. I won't stop making games until I come up with something you guys love.

Few things, I'm a one man show. No other programmers, artists, modelers or designers work on my games but me. I may use other libraries but as far as my game project, its just me.

I'm doing all the 3D modeling in blender and then using the Newton Game Dynamics engine to handle the physics for my game objects. It's really a sick-awesome physics engine.

Modeling shot from blender:
    [​IMG]

This latest game will use higher quality texturing scheme than Afterwing. I was never really satisfied with Afterwing's "detail textures". Detail textures, if done right prevent surfaces from looking blocky or blurry when you get in close. Tonight, I finally found out why OpenGL ES wasn't letting me do them correctly. So check out the detail texture in the dirt from this test screencap. Compare it to the base textures from the shot above. The grass still needs work though.

Detail texturing:
    [​IMG]

I may or may not post some iphone programming tutorial code on my blog in the coming weeks as well
    http://destroyapps.weebly.com/

2. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Hey, that looks pretty cool, thanks for posting. Is that going to be a baseball game? (I'm not a sports fan, but kinda recognise the shape of pitch!)

Afterwing was a pretty fun game, but I too remember commenting on the textures.

3. mlfarrell

Feb 26, 2010
    san diego, ca
    #3 mlfarrell, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
    It'll be a baseball game, but it won't be like the others :D. If I can get the physics to work and get my main idea to work, it'll be awesome and funny as hell. But that remains to be seen. I'll probably spend a few hours working on it today. Building a game engine from the ground up is always alot of work but very rewarding.

Its crazy that I've only been working on this thing for 2 days and its already insanely complicated :-O

[​IMG]

4. mlfarrell

Feb 26, 2010
    san diego, ca
    #4 mlfarrell, Aug 29, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
    programming shadows sucks balls

Man, making precomputed light maps on iPhone OS is a giant pain in the :eek:, but I finally got it. As long as the number of objects I want to cast shadows on is small, the iPad should be able to keep up and render smoothly.

[​IMG]

I wanted to get this out of the way so that when I add more objects, the shadows will work nicely. Right now, the effect is very subtle because the only stuff casting a shadow on the field is the slight bevel of the grass itself. Either way, it adds a nice level of ambience to the scene and I'm glad that this is out of the way cause it definitely sucked spending all day trying to get this to work. Ignore the ugly untextured sphere and cube, just some physics testing.

[​IMG]

Update (8/29): Still only using 12 MB of ram, but I got the grass to look just as awesome as the dirt. This game is really starting to look sweet for an iPad game :p

[​IMG]

amazingly the iPad still is getting 60 frames per second even with this 3-way multitexturing technique