Why is my game Sumdoit not a hit?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by 1stSPIN, Jun 1, 2015.

1. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    I love math and created a game called Sumdoit which I think is original and a great math puzzle. It uses very simple math with no answer greater than 20 so that players don't need a calculator. My son who is 10 can do all of the levels for the 2x2 and I play the 1st level of the 3 x 3 to get a bit of a workout nearly everyday. But it has not caught on. Can any of you give me a reason why?

2. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    Easy. People hate math.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    If you have a game in development its worth letting people here test the beta so you can get honest feedback. From that you might get to see what people like/dislike about the game

I'm sure your son will say the games great whatever!

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    provide a link so people can give better feedback.

Casual math games isn't exactly a big market with of course the outlier or two that have broken into mainsteam.

5. Because most people is stupid - that's why. Only trash games prevail - that's how Market going last few years and that's the reason why CoC and other F2P farms/runners are on top.

6. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, right!! Oh, by the way, it's ' people ARE stupid', not IS! (LOL! Rather ironic isn't it?) :eek:
    Anyway, one poster got it right. Math is just not fun! It's work! Really surprised it's not a hit? Man, if I had a nickel for every dev who thought that I'd be a rich man indeed! ;)

7. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Sorry here is the link
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sumdoit/id933510213?mt=8

Yes you might be right that math is work. I think math can be fun and is great to exercise your natural problem solving skills. Does that hold true for puzzles like cross word games, do people feel they are work and not fun?

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Maths isnt fun. Games are fun. With a huge huge range of games out there which are fun i just dont see a maths game being a huge hit for young kids.

9. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    It seems you are right. There are consistent players but no real growth. I think is is a good app but that don't mean much.:)

10. freeBozeForSomeOfYou

May 31, 2015
    Math is lots of fun, people love Math but most people don't like the academic way of doing it because that way is not designed for fun but for precision and interoperability so if a person has not much training in the academic way of doing math, these symbols and numbers don't mean anything to them. As a result, a Math game turns into "apply the formula" job.

For an example, if your game was not about reaching the target numbers but about filling cups with water much more people would have had fun. Essentially it's the same but when you say it like "fill this cup without drowning the bug that is at certain hight inside the cup" and cups are being filled with water from water balloons in different sizes, much more people will have fun to calculate that 6 drops + 9 drops is exactly at the level of the bug that is at 15th store/level.

However, this will only make your game more fun and approachable, you will need marketing to make it a hit.

11. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    It is an interesting study in human responses to images, ideas, games etc. I still believe with the couple hundred or thousand upload come from Apple is enough to get people to talk about game so the push is to keep on pushing and push some more. Eventually even the hardest wall fall with enough pounding.

12. freeBozeForSomeOfYou

May 31, 2015
    How much downloads you have? Are you planning to push harder?

13. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    If you have not learned this from experience that maybe this might help you now and into the future. You always keep pushing if you believe in something. No battle is won by sitting in the mess tent eating a hamburger or football game won by ironing your jersey. Get out there and give it all you got then find a way to give it some more. :)

14. RareSloth

RareSloth Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

The game looks pretty cheap and tacky just from a visual perspective. I think math can be fun, but I think a lot of where you're suffering is the presentation and the experience.

15. freeBozeForSomeOfYou

May 31, 2015
    That's the spirit :) Of course one should keep eye on the analytics

BTW, the game launches upside-down

16. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Of course we all do but we also have to understand that those only show what is happening in the real world but not what is possible if the race was run with everyone starting the hundred yard dash on the block, sprinting when the gun goes off and no one uses steroids or other enhancers which tip the scales off in favor, you know a fair race. We all know and so do you that this business is like life, the rich get richer and every now and then someone buys a $1 lotto ticket and wins the mega millions and they too can start racing with steroids.

17. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Not at all!! Sorry, man, but most people will agree they don't enjoy algebra! I realize some nerds might dig it, but most people don't. It's that simple. Math is NOT fun in general. I can appreciate a teacher trying to make it somehow attractive to his students for the sake of that, but in the end, it's a futile attempt. Just ain't happenin'! :rolleyes:

18. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    #18 1stSPIN, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    It looks like you have not seen the game. There is no algebra. It is the most basic math, addition. It like going to the store and buying a Popsicle and giving the correct change with no amount more than 20 cents. All level the answer is no greater that 20 and you can calculate it in your head.

The image below will you you the game I like to play.
    [​IMG]

This is the answer once you slide the 0 and 1 to the correct position
    [​IMG]

This is mid easy level and there is a 2 x 2 grid for children and it goes up to the level that Stephen Hawking would and may not be able to solve.

This is the link if you are curious
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sumdoit/id933510213?mt=8

19. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I am not sure how that game could be fun for any extended period. Maybe solve it once or twice but it has no replay value.

The interface for makes it look easy to play and I am sure people wouldn't have a problem learning.

20. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    I will check it out later. My wife and I both love math games. They are not for everyone, not for most even, which is why it probably doesn't stand a chance of breaking out in any way. I will post more thoughts after spending some time with it.

The Lumosity math challenges are my favorite, I pay them over and over trying to beat my high score, just like someone would with an arcade shooter or an endless runner.