Big Shot Boxing, looking for testers

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ColinL, Apr 5, 2017.

1. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    #1 ColinL, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Hello!

So Big Shot Boxing is a game I have been chipping away at for a while, I figured its about time I got some feedback on it.
    Anyone interested in an arcade style boxing game with a reasonably deep career mode. As in you work your way up a table to try to win the title. You upgrade your stats and get random fight opportunities. You also age and eventually will start to lose stats as you get into the later part of your career.

Drop me a pm or write your e-mail below and I will send you a test flight build.

[​IMG]

2. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Awesome!!

3. nox_pp

nox_pp Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Looks great dude ;) Already played it a bit on an iPad Air this morning. Will send some feedback later today.

4. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    Nice, I'm interested in hearing what the difficulty level is like and how you found the tutorial, amongst anything else you have feedback on.

5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Looks like animated Rock'm Sock'm robots. Every punch is an uppercut! LOL!

6. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    I'm very interested :)

7. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    You have my email address somewhere ;)

8. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    It is very Rock'm Sock'm :D

every punch used to be an uppercut but I expanded it a bit now.

9. johnkittz

johnkittz Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2017
    I would absolutely love to beta test this game, I love boxing games!

Email: [email protected]

10. Raqqi

Raqqi New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Sounds very interesting! I'd love to try it out and give some feedback.
    Apple ID: [email protected]

11. dubb40

dubb40 Member

Jul 28, 2010
  12. dreadnok

Jun 8, 2011
    I really like it, it seems pretty balanced and as far as difficulty goes I'll say it builds up nicely as you progress so you're not overwhelmed or outclassed by other fighters right away.

I found that you could use strategy to win the fights and I love that you can't just throw a bunch of heavy hits and knock everyone out instead it feels like a real boxing match where you need to be smart and stick and move while looking for openings.

It definitely needs a pause button and it never tells you if you're supposed to tap the screen to get up from a knockdown. There are sometimes just a black bubble from your trainer after a fight. I made it all the way to the second ranked guy who blew me away with his speed and power but I loved it still

Good job

13. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    Awesome, thats what I wanted to hear. Im glad you felt there was some strategy needed. In the current build you don't need to do anything during the count, but in the build coming later today I have added the tap to get up mechanic. When you say back bubble, saw it just a mass of overlapping text or was there no text in it at all?

Ill add a pause button soon.

thanks for playing and for the feedback.

14. dreadnok

Jun 8, 2011
    I mean no text going to check out the update

15. aMc

aMc Member

Aug 13, 2009
  16. eddhigham

eddhigham Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Beta test

I would love to beta test this game! I'm on iOS and my email is: [email protected]

17. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    Invites sent! feel free to post any feedback here in the forums. Anyone won the title yet?

18. dreadnok

Jun 8, 2011
    I wish there was some kind of celebration for becoming champion. I worked hard to become champ and thought I should get few fireworks at least

19. neilsarkar

neilsarkar Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 9, 2017
    Founder at Super Serious Company
    Baleal, Portugal
    Clubber Payne W: 24 L: 6 D: 0 KO: 24 Age: 36 Champ: Yes Defend: 0

At first I thought it was just a button masher, but once I started losing around the third or fourth fighter and had to figure out a strategy it became engaging and fun. I eventually settled on a strategy that let me coast from the middle of the ladder to the top two. Those last two fights felt like real boxing matches, which was really cool. Also, the sound of making contact was quite satisfying.

There were one or two anomalies in the progression where a seemingly easier fighter came after a harder one, but for the most part it was consistent. After getting the hang of it, I rarely felt totally out of my depth or bored.

KOs, knockdowns and stuns

The major point of confusion for me in the game was that stunning, knockdowns, and KOs seemed to happen randomly.

I tried counterattacking when they punched, combinations of punches, sequential uppercuts in the corner. I couldn’t seem to strategically increase my chance of stunning, knockdowns or KOs.

The only strategic lever I seemed to have was that getting their health bar to 0 resulted in a knockdown. I left stuns, knockdowns with health left, and KOs up to chance.

I also never knew when I would get KO’d. It seemed like it could happen at any time, not just if I’d been knocked down a lot or had low health.

My assumptions I had from the beginning that don't seem to have been correct were:

1. A fighter would have a higher chance of getting KO’d the more times they had been knocked down and the less health that they had.
    2. A fighter would have a higher chance of getting stunned when getting hit by consecutive strong punches.
    3. A fighter would get knocked down only if their health bar was at 0 or if they were stunned.
    4. The health bar determines how hard it is to get up
    5. Three knockdowns in a round would give you a TKO

My understanding now is that each cross or uppercut you land has a critical strike probability, like in an RPG. And a critical strike can result in a stun or, more rarely, a knockdown. Is that right?

Attributes

I settled on Power and Chin as my focuses as per the advice of the trainer, but since the delta of improvement for a single upgrade wasn’t obvious and presumably the attributes of the fighters you face increase as you move up the ladder, I wasn’t positive about what any attribute did and had to make guesses. My guesses were:

Power - punches take off more enemy health, higher chance of stunning?

Chin - lower chance of being stunned?

Recovery - green bar recovers faster between rounds. maybe easier to get up from a knockdown?

Health - seems like the green bar doesn’t grow, so maybe this makes you lose less health?

Maybe an explanation of each attribute’s effects in Training would help. Also, displaying the attributes of the people you are fighting would help you understand what each one does in relation to each other (e.g. Power vs Chin).

Nitpicks

* Touch targets on training are too small. I accidentally upgraded the wrong attribute once and couldn’t undo it.

* It's hard to tell in the heat of battle whether your opponent just landed a cross or a jab. Maybe more visual differentiation would help.

* The victory screen has a typo — “Congradulations” :)

I know this is extremely long, hope it is useful. And again overall the game was really fun, I really enjoyed it.

20. dreadnok

Jun 8, 2011
    Sound s like a real boxing match where a knockdown can happen at any time from any punch