Iphone 5... Worth buying/upgrading for?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by deadlock32, Sep 15, 2012.

1. deadlock32

deadlock32 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    #1 deadlock32, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
    I dont know bout you guys, but i'm kind of unimpressed with this new phone. I heard that Nokia Lumia 920 looks good, no offense to you all iphone fanboys. This is just my opinion. Now, I've had iPhone my whole life, from 1st to 4th generation. Each of them kept impressing me, thinking that this was the best phone I've had. And now this... iPhone 5... To be honest, I feel a little bit disappointed. Just a set of new features, A6 and design. That's it. No new tweaks or like that? I sure am a little disappointed. If Steve Jobs was still alive, he could make the iPhone 5 the best phone out there. I mean, look how other iPhone generations changed. Imagine if he was still alive, what changes would there be? I dont know, but he's the world's best CEO visionary, a genius. He could come up with something surprising and make it a success. So anyway, I'm not entirely sure about this iPhone 5. I'm puzzled like should i get it or not? What do you think guys? Hope this is the right sectio for my thread and i mean no harm or threats in here. Thanks.

PS: I highly respect Apple.

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Well if you believe Apples 2x claim it's probably on Par with a Vita capability wise which would be pretty cool if games took advantage of it.

Personally I think It's really quite hard to judge it because there has been no other A15 based Arm chips in phones yet so no one has even seen a benchmark as far as I know.

Based on what I've read though Apples 2x claim doesn't really seem right as the company ARM itself say's it's only 40% faster than an A9 also it doesn't help me believe them when Apple also out right lied about other things like being the worlds thinnest smartphone.

3. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    I think, for anyone that's been using an iPhone, switching to a windows phone 8 device would be unwise. Apples product works, and i personally think you have to go with their direct competitor, Android, to match it. Further more, a Nokia... Not that either is terrible, but Nokia's recent track record has been shocking. They literally need a Steve Jobs type to refocus their efforts.

Early indication says the Lumia 920 is a good device, but Nokia & Msoft still have plenty to do if they want to compete with Ios/android. You might just be annoyed at a lack of new apps & support for your device. Question is, do you want to gamble on it being a success?

4. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

What`s your current iDevice?

If it`s an iPhone 3GS/4 or an iPod Touch 4th then I definitly would say yes you should aim for it.

If it`s an iPhone 4s - Pass this Year even if the Weight might be an argument that would speak in this Case for the iPhone 5.

Speaking as an Gamer I expect to don`t see a breaking difference between the both Device (iPhone 4s/iPhone 5) and it will be really hard for Apple this time to actually make Owners of an iPhone 4s to switch if they can´t just grab into the Pocket and pull out the Money to get One.

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I strongly suspect the increase in performance is marginal at best. Major hardware upgrades are generally every other year with iPhones, and the screen has some more pixels to push too. Still, I look forward to the benchmarks and what apple does with the iPad 4. We'll really need far better heat displacement before apple stuffs a gpu in there to handle full retina 3d games.

6. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Do a little research before you say Steve didn't work on this. Steve Jobs worked on all of the new apple products that are coming out in the next 3 years.

7. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    As an iPhone 4S owner who was tempted as hell to dive in right after seeing the announcement, that excitement has now died down to the point where I don't even feel like buying it anymore. It's a similar situation to how I felt when the iPad 3 was announced; the new features are nice/useful, but just not worth putting down the full payment for again (in my opinion).

8. deadlock32

Jun 27, 2012
    Well, I'm an iphone 4 user and i felt like my brain was telling me to keep it while the other to change it. Personally, i think you're right. Maybe I should go for the iphone 5? I've loved my iphone 4 a lot and its my two year contract is almost over, i think. I would be able to get the iphone 5 by january. Still, i dont know what to do. Buy, keep or go for another phone company. I dont know bout adroid cause i dont like the store. There are less good games and lots of fragmented apps, im just saying. But yea, iphone app store is better.

9. deadlock32

Jun 27, 2012
    I agree with you about the Steve Jobs part. From what i saw from the appl keynote video, I would have to say Apple's begun to lose its wows and awes. They are practically losing teir magic. If he was still here, it wouldve been different if you know what i mean. And I dont think so, I shouldnt place a bet on Nokia Lumia 920 to become a success.

10. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Well, this is true, but then games/apps for windows phone will be far far less avail than even Android. If you want to keep a buzzing Appstore then Apple is really your only choice (currently).

Jobs would sell the iPhone 5 better, yes. He sold picture messaging and 3G like they were innovations, when other manufacturers had implemented them both for years. Supposedly Jobs worked on the 5 anyway. I imagine it's, for the most part, how he wanted it to be.

Regards to wow-factor, there isn't really any to speak of with the 5, nor was there with the 4S, but it doesn't need it. It'll be the best smartphone on the market. And I say that from the viewpoint of an iPhone 4 user looking to switch to a Note 2/S3.

11. deadlock32

Jun 27, 2012
    I guess so then. Its hard to believe that I cant say anything about iPhone 5. Usually, when a new iphone is released, i would start talking bout it but the iPhone 5 doesnt really catch my eyes. Its hard to believe that its going to be the biggest disappointment that will still sell. No wonder the critics said its "utterly boring" and "amazing".
    -_-

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You know what Steve Jobs probably wouldn't do? Endlessly pontificate on what someone who has passed away would do in this situation. Sadly, he's out of the picture now but the consumer and design-centric culture at Apple that truly is Steve's legacy that'll likely live on for quite some time. Postulating what Steve Jobs would or wouldn't have done is about as silly and productive as all those gun nuts trying to divine their own interpretation out of the second amendment.

No one can say what Steve would or wouldn't have done, just like no one can say whether or not they specifically were discussing your right to bear automatic assault rifles in 1791.

That being said, regardless of how iterative this iPhone release is, no other app ecosystem comes close to what iOS devices currently offer. The Lumia is a ridiculously cool device, and there's more than a few Android phones out there with features that have left me saying "Huh, that might be neat." But, I feel like hardware and OS-level features are actually what I use the least on my iPhone, and instead have a full array of apps that I use every day that I'm not sure how I'd live without on other platforms. I also really like being on the cutting edge of that sort of third party development with the premiere platform for releasing cool shit and having a chance at making a profit on it.

In my eyes, that's way cooler than some sort of weird Android device with a larger screen and NFC.

13. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I was asking myself the same question, though my situation is slightly different. I have an iPhone 4 too, but no plan, so I'm buying the phone straight up.

Bearing that in mind, I found that I can still get a decent price for the 4. If I don't upgrade now, I'll have to pony up a whole lot more cash for the next iteration.

Being on a plan, won't you get the new iPhone cheap anyway?

And I'm with Eli on this one. The iPhones are amazing, yes, but it's the developers and apps that keep me here.

14. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    epic post hodapp

15. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Can't upgrade until next year (Nov. '13) so I guess a new ipod touch is the way to go for me :)

16. I will probably upgrade my iphone 4 to 5 when my upgrade option comes in May 2013, but nowadays, I don't really care that much, since I rarely use it anymore to play games, cause since I have a new ipad now, I prefer playing on my ipad.

So the little extra features on the iphone 5 are nice, but really won't make much of a difference for me. But thank god the screen got a little bit bigger.

But the biggest benefit for me, is actually getting ios6 on all my old devices. I hope that will make my life better, and I'm sure a lot more apps and games will come out for the iphone 5 and ipad mini, so look forward to that.

Now just wish they would let me use my new ipad as a cellphone. Personally, don't wont a cell phone anymore since I pretty much carry my ipad everywhere, would love for AT&T to sell me a cellphone based new ipad for $200 that was subsidized under my phone plan. Hopefully they will do it for the ipad mini, so then in the future they can do it for the new ipad too.

Look forward to an iphone 5 mostly for the fast LTE web browsing, that would be cool!

17. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    You're obsessed with your new iPad :D

18. deadlock32

Jun 27, 2012
    I agree, iPhone has dominated and become the worlds best smartphone out there. And definitely yes, its the developers and apps that have really kept me close to my iphone.

19. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Is it true that since no app supports widescreen right now the iPhone 5 will have a "black border" for all apps with a 960x640 (or w/e resolution iPhone 4/4s has)?
    Also torn between white vs black. -_- Almost everyone I know has a white 4/4s, but for some reason most people say the black is much better for 5, no idea why.

20. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Because it's so much more cooler dude. Get with new the times. White borders were so, like, last year. Just you wait man, purple will totally be all the rage next year!!!

:rolleyes: